Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Work for Free [#permalink]
ryguy904 wrote:
So I've been thinking about this a little bit: Do students ever offer to intern for FREE just to get in the door? I'm interested in going into an industry (asset management) that, outside of a few big players (Fidelity, T.Rowe, Putnam) is largely fragmented. I'm trying to hypothesize a viable backup plan if I can't land a job at one of the big shops (because the economy sucks, because I blow my stock pitch, etc, etc) In my mind, I figure that a smaller company (let’s say they have anywhere from 15-50 employees) would have virtually no risk from taking on a summer intern. I get the experience I need and boost up the resume for recruiting full-time in the following Fall. They get some free research, ideas, and grunt work – all with minimal headaches. Sure, I’d want them to spend a little time with me and have them teach me things and get some insight into what they are doing and why (causing them to spend a little bit less time on their actual work)…but hey, everybody likes to pump up their ego a bit by showing some newbie what an expert they are. I think this would be a great option for those pursuing other high finance areas as well, such as PE and VC.

Am I crazy to think that this type of opportunity is possible?

I'm interested to get the perspective from 1Y and 2Y students as well as those that work for companies that hire MBA interns. My guess is that this is more doable with a smaller company (looser HR guidelines, less decision making bodies needed, etc.).

This is very common for people trying to make a career switch to the buyside. It is especially common for PE/VC firms (if not working for free, then working for significantly under market wages). They are generally smaller or start-up type firms that lack the funding to hire paid interns.

This is fairly common at UCLA, UChicago, NYU, Columbia, and other schools located in big Metro areas -- people do the internships part-time for 10-20 hours/week during the school year.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Its pretty common for people to do it to get their foot in the door in certain industries. Its tough if you have to move cities and pay for two places to live and all that. Some also hope to get end of summer performance bonuses or at least some form of compensation. I know a few people looking to do this and I think its tough to stomach making 0 if you friend is making 8k a month. If you look at it as a long term investment its not that bad but the compensation at some of those smaller companies is not nearly as lucrative as you would imagine at least for the first few years.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
A friend who graduated from Chicago business school back in 2003 during the tech bubble burst said many of his classmates interned for free just to get the experience in the industry they want to transition. They'd rather give up a paid internship in another area which they have no career interest for fear of being "piedgeon holed" by recruiters the following year. These were not part time school year internships, they were unpaid summer internships.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92947 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts