Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Worth a shot? Do I have a decent chance?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Worth a shot? Do I have a decent chance? [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2005, 10:44
Hey guys, loved your book. It's very good. Can I solicit an opinion of my chances based on the below? I think I probably need some killer essays to legitimately have a chance, but what else can I do to "distinguish" myself?

While it's hard to accurately assess without a full application, here is the profile at least.
I'm looking to get these in by Round 2. My top choice is the Northwestern JD/MBA (but that's besides the point). I am considering 3 more schools out of Yale, Columbia, Chicago, Berkeley. But one thing in the back of the head is whether a dream shot at Harvard or Wharton is even possible (meaning anything higher than a million to 1 shot). But wasting 200+ dollars for fun on misguided hope wouldn't be optimal. Please let me know as best as you can what you think.

28, Asian Male NYC. (not sure if that's a negative though).
3.3 UG GPA, Finance/Marketing Minor: Journalism
GMAT: 690 79%M/89%V - 720 81%M/96%V
(the puzzling part is that I've never scored less than a 98% in any standardized math test in my life except for these two (even practice tests), but taking it a third time would just seem silly)

In Finance for 6 yrs. Large-Sell side corporations. 2.5 yrs, then 4yrs, and now about 6 mos (now VP) My worry is that may be very run of the mill for an applicant, along with my UG majors.

Recs: Nothing overly strong. I would say serviceable ones from former managers.

Activities: UG: various activities, an officer position for one (University Peer Mediation services), was an RA (which helped pay for housing).
Post UG: Volunteer at NYCares for probably 5-6 years now, teach at an SAT program for underprivileged kids, again....run of the mill activities I feel too. Maybe Improv classes, etc.

I wanted to gather your opinion because as I am going through this application process, I feel I may have walked into a situation where my profile looks too traditional. I wouldn't necessarily have founded any organization like some have, I excel at my projects and tasks at work, but obviously have leadership potential, but I tend to be more of a team player type than brash rah-rah leader.

I'd like to start my own business at some point and would be pursuing the entrepreneural aspects on the MBA. Thanks for any input/advice you can give in advance!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 07:13
Honestly, just through your post I can tell that you have better than average writing chops. Your GMAT is strong, so you're set there. Having rise to VP in 6 short years is very impressive. And you sound like you actually have interests outside of work.

I'd bet on you as an admit. Just don't spread yourself too thin across applications. Pick 1 dream and three solids and you should be fine.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Intern
Intern

thanks [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 08:19
Thanks for the reply!

I'm in the process of re-reading your book for some final pointers. One stumbling block I think I may be coming across is justifying applying to B-school right now after taking a job less than 6 months ago. I don't have a really "good" reason per se, other than selfish capitalistic reason like bigger pay and better title for taking the job and it was my goal all along anyway to apply at this time before even taking it, stuff they may not really want to hear.

I know honesty is always stressed, but I don't think that is a direction I should be exploring for this topic right?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2005, 06:47
Expert's post
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I just recently advised another applicant on this forum about a similar thing. He thought that changing jobs would help him in his application because he was getting a bigger paycheck, but it doesn't raise eyebrows with adcomms when they see that you've changed jobs right before applying.

I obviously wouldn't say in an essay or an interview any of that "I'm a selfish capitalist" stuff. :-) "It was simply too good to turn down," is a reasonable answer. But I would also try to answer these questions, or at least be ready to answer them in an interview... 1) Why are you applying now, given that you've just landed this "dream job?" 2) What do you think you'll learn in this new job that will make you an even better student in school? 3) How is this job change of yours consistent with your overall application story?

I agree with Omari that your writing seems great. Put it to good use in your essays... keep it lively and personal!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

sagely advice needed..... [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2006, 12:37
Hi again guys...

Came across a few, not land mines, but bumps....and need to solicit some advice or feedback. Can I run these 2 things by y'all?

1) Upon securing my transcript to send out to schools, I realized now apparently that my GPA states 3.285 on the ol' official transcript. The problem is that I always thought my GPA was 3.296xxxx, which I, very willingly, rounded to 3.3 on any forms that would ask for this. Now whether this is an error (it looks like they dropped a 2 credit class I had an A in from counting towards the cumulative GPA), it's pretty much 5 years+ after the fact. I doubt I can get it changed, and certainly not in time for it to matter this round (I'm sure there must be some statute of this). But my question is now, what should I be putting as my GPA on applications, provided I didn't already state 3.3 previous. To how many signficant digits after the decimal should I round out to? 3.3? 3.29? 3.285? While 3.3 just looks better on to the eyeball aesthetically than a 3.2xxx, I don't want to give the appearance of some unethical scheme to hide something or even a hint of impropriety by rounding up to 3.3, or even 3.29. But 3.3 does sure look better on the eyes....maybe THIS should be my ethical dilemma essay. Heh. :lol: What would you think is the accepted norm?

2) Second (and I'll try to make it concise as practice for the essays), is my little dilemma on whether mentioning Attention Deficit Disorder is appropriate on the application, more specifically on one of the essays. I was only diagnosed 2 years ago, and although anyone I knew can glaringly see the symptons, I never acted on it because of the certain (negative) stigmas attached to it; and it is the these same stigmas that I am concerned about in mentioning it in an essay. i.e. some believe it's a fake disorder - looks like I'm using it as an excuse to justify lack of (accomplishments, motivation, etc) in the past - and I'm sure many others.

I'm trying to avoid it if it's possible, but want to see if you think I should avoid mentioning it at all costs. It's a hit or miss really, and I can't tell whoever is reading has any preconceived notions about it, or is a scientologist or something. Is it too risky of a topic to bring up? Is there any upside to it?

Anyway, thanks again for your invaluable advice you guys always give...
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2006, 15:07
Expert's post
1) I don't think you have much of a problem here. I think that any adcomm who sees 3.285 and 3.3 next to each other will say it's the same thing. As shorthand, most people use just one decimal place to describe a GPA.

2) My gut tells me that you shouldn't mention this unless it's really integral to your story. Schools definitely don't discriminate (they'd get sue big time if someone could prove that they did!), but you don't want to come off sounding liek someone with "isssues." If you can really show how you've overcome it, then maybe it's worth mentioning, but you don't want the disorder to be a linger question mark in adcomms' eyes.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews