Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Would love to get your perspective [#permalink]
It's a fair point and one I hadn't considered.

I was locked into a somewhat long term contract and it was only recently that I became a free agent. That's not much of an excuse and probably not a convincing one to admissions at any rate. I'm far from tied to the idea of going to business school but I feel as though there's a skill set and network I'm missing out on that I might need. Perhaps that's the emotional investment you're referring to.

Would my position be one which could be filled by a MBA graduate with no experience? Probably not but I can't decide whether or not that's the idiosyncrasy of my firm or the actual work. I would liken my job to that of second/third year associate at an i-bank. Yeah, a new grad could perform my job competently but there would be a year long ramp up period to being good at it.

Do I need business school to achieve my goals? Emotional investment aside, probably not.

Could it have helped me? Well that's the tough question isn't it! I have this long term goal of not just being a hedge fund manager, but also creating a different sort of investment company which will require many of the skills and the connections I know I'm just not getting right now. It's not a career change per se, but certainly a different and new direction which hasn't been explored by the industry yet. (In full disclosure, I have some noncompetes which prevent me from pursuing it right away which are not an insignificant motivator for taking some time off).

I guess my follow up question would be whether or not an EMBA experience can replicate the breadth and reputability of the Full time program particularly with regards to the closeness of the network?

But thanks again for the frank words, very much so appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the input. It certainly reframes the question in my head. I'm in the industry I want to be in, just trying to put the pieces of my skill set together to ensure that I have what it takes to do I want.

I think I have some research on EMBA programs to do.

All the best,
Penn Teller
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.73
WE:Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Wanted to piggy back on this post as I'm in a similar situation and interested in your thoughts.
Just to give you some background, I'm planning to apply for MBA this year for enrollment in 2012. My undergrad GPA is 3.7, haven't taken my GMAT but the goal is 700 (will put off applying if I don't get it). Extra. Activity isn't great (due to CFA + nature of work), but I am an assistant Scout Master and help with camping trips 3-4x a year.

I was lucky enough to land a position as a research analyst at a asset manager (manages about $7 bln) straight out of undergrad and have been on the job for 3 years (currently 26 ylds). This is the type of position where it requires an MBA along with 3-4 years of industry experience. While I don't have any mgmt responsibilities, as the author have mention due the nature of the business, my skills and role has step up from just being a backup analyst to covering my own names + sectors.

My long term goal is to be on the Private Equity side (the volatility of the stock mkt is not my cup of tea). Typical career track for PE is get an MBA + 2-3 years in investment banking, and get lucky and switch over. My contacts are limited and PE values more experience in the deal making side vs just managing asset.

Does it make sense for me to go the MBA route? I understand the point you were trying to make with the EMBA, does that apply to my goal?
Schools that I'm applying for are CBS, NYU, Wharton, HBS + Booth (if I don't get in, will apply year after). Should I expand my list? Do I have enough caliber to be accepted to these schools?
Am I lacking the "management experience"?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Send PM
If the volatility of publicly traded securities is not your cup of tea, what makes you think that private equity is going to be less volatile? If anything, the nature of the business involves more risk and uncertainty than anything.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.73
WE:Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
AlexMBAApply wrote:
If the volatility of publicly traded securities is not your cup of tea, what makes you think that private equity is going to be less volatile? If anything, the nature of the business involves more risk and uncertainty than anything.

What interest me more in deep diving on specific companies and have 3-4+ year investment horizon vs the day to day volatility of the market.

So if my goal is to land PE, does business school makes sense?
GMAT Club Bot