Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
That's hilarious. I've never heard of a "relaxing deck" before, but I'm sure it's totally necessary to make it through school.

Yeah it is crazy. I was at Evanston during the DAK and happened to visit some of the local apartments there. Most of the luxury apartments are marketed to only Kellogg students. Majority of them are ridiculiously priced and the websites/brochures seem to include pictures of Kellogg and talk about distance from Kellogg as opposed to the NW University.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It sounds like a good business idea: if you see the demand and can supply and get a price that exceeds your cost through marketing and differentiation, then go for it.

I, personally, would not rent a place like that (I'll be staying at a dorm at least for the 1st year) but do not judge people who do. I mean, I do think they are probably placing too much value on confort and/or prestige (in the same way that a driver who buys an SUV with a 5-liter V8 to ride the highway and transport groceries does), but let them be.

(I also think that by using the sociology example you are subsconciously expressing your feeling of "having sold your soul to the devil" by attending B-school.) END OF CHEAP PSYCHOLOGY PARENTHESIS :lol:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Not quite as high-end as the Fuqua house, but there are a good number of places like the one linked below for Insead students. It seems like alot of people in the town (including some former alums) have made a business out of catering to students with an "all inclusive" housing solution.

https://www.arbresechouse.com/
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I guess some people might be interested in these sorts of living arrangements, but don't most people normally value privacy over luxury? In other words, if I had a thousand dollars to spend on housing each month, I would rather spend a thousand dollars for a non-luxury studio apartment, instead of spending a thousand dollars for a luxury room in a house that I share with however many random people.

Maybe some people like the idea of living w/ classmates, but it just seems like when you live with more than one or two people, all sorts of issues (like dirty dishes in the sink) sort of arise an create conflict.

I'd rather drive a Dodge Neon by myself than share a Mercedes with a bunch of strangers.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
I guess some people might be interested in these sorts of living arrangements, but don't most people normally value privacy over luxury? In other words, if I had a thousand dollars to spend on housing each month, I would rather spend a thousand dollars for a non-luxury studio apartment, instead of spending a thousand dollars for a luxury room in a house that I share with however many random people.

Maybe some people like the idea of living w/ classmates, but it just seems like when you live with more than one or two people, all sorts of issues (like dirty dishes in the sink) sort of arise an create conflict.

I'd rather drive a Dodge Neon by myself than share a Mercedes with a bunch of strangers.

I like having several housemates, assuming they're reasonably respectful and I have my own bedroom. I'm the same at the office. I prefer a nice spacious cube over a private office just to have some social interaction throughout the day. I don't know if I'm in minority though.

A car is altogether different thing. I'm not sharing my bedroom or desk.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Now that I think about it, what really annoys me is that I'll be paying about the same each month for an 11'4" x 7'5" room with a private bathroom. No HDTV, no appliances, no deck in the woods, no toothbrush, no visitors room, no workstations. Just basic furniture (including dorm size single bed) and hi-speed internet.

Arghh, Boston is so expensive! :evil:

L.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:
Now that I think about it, what really annoys me is that I'll be paying about the same each month for an 11'4" x 7'5" room with a private bathroom. No HDTV, no appliances, no deck in the woods, no toothbrush, no visitors room, no workstations. Just basic furniture (including dorm size single bed) and hi-speed internet.

Arghh, Boston is so expensive! :evil:

L.

I think I will keep the tooth brush! I can live without the rest.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Boston is expensive, but NY is absolutely ridiculous. I'll be in a similar dorm set-up as what you described Lepium for the tidy sum of $1650 per month.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'll be paying about 1/3 that. That should leave some extra money for beer.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nah, I'm not judging. I'm marveling at the different mind-set of b-school students. And I'm also trying to imagine a sociology student even DREAMING up an idea like this. I think it's a great biz idea and I'm hoping to be on a team with whoever lives there. Private team room sounds lovely.

Lepium, I am not selling my soul to the devil. I'm taking private lessons and then I'm whup his @ss.

:lol:
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
How much extra for maid service?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
erm i'm a bit lost... we're just talking about a (very) nice house with many comforts for a (hypothetic) reasonable rent

all these comments about "prestige", "luxury" and "selling your soul to the devil" should be cut from here and pasted in the investment banking thread

Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Lorenzino wrote:
erm i'm a bit lost... we're just talking about a (very) nice house with many comforts for a (hypothetic) reasonable rent

all these comments about "prestige", "luxury" and "selling your soul to the devil" should be cut from here and pasted in the investment banking thread

Well I agree that there aren't golden faucets and diamond crusted door knobs, but I think the reason people are throwing around words like "luxury" and "prestige" is because when you compare this place to typical student accomodations it is much, much nicer. It's something of a tradition that students live in complete squalor and misery since they don't have any income.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Lorenzino wrote:

Real estate prices are always relative. You can get a 2-BR apartment (recently rehabbed) in a good neighborhood near Duke for $600 - $750. You can buy an entire 3-BR house also near Duke for $100k to $140k.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]