Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 18:38 It is currently 10 May 2024, 18:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 560 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622705 [0]
Given Kudos: 81828
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Send PM
Re: Yesterday's closing prices of 2,420 different stocks listed [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Yesterday's closing prices of 2,420 different stocks listed on a certain stock exchange were all different from today's closing prices. The number of stocks that closed at a higher price today than yesterday was 20 percent greater than the number that closed at a lower price. How many of the stocks closed at a higher price today than yesterday?

(A) 484
(B) 726
(C) 1,100
(D) 1,320
(E) 1,694

APPROACH #1:

Say \(x\) is the number of stocks that closed at a lower price, then \(1.2x\) is the number of stocks that closed at a higher price. Since the total number of stocks is 2,420, then \(x+1.2x=2,420\) --> \(x=1,100\), so \(1.2x=1,320\).

Answer: D.

APPROACH #2:

If the number of stocks that closed at a lower price were the same as the number of stocks that closed at a higher price, then the number of stocks that closed at a higher price would be 2,420/2=1,210. Since we know that more stocks closed at a higher price than at a lower price than the answer must be greater than 1,210: eliminate A, B, and C. Now, E cannot be correct, because in this case 1,694 closed at a higher price and ~700 closed at a lower price, but 1,694 is obviously not 20% greater than ~700, so we are left with D.

Hope it's clear.

higher price today than yesterday
I found this Line confusing I thought it meant the difference between today’s higher stocks and yesterdays higher stocks please clear my confusion thank you
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622705 [0]
Given Kudos: 81828
Send PM
Yesterday's closing prices of 2,420 different stocks listed [#permalink]
Expert Reply
A2D2 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Yesterday's closing prices of 2,420 different stocks listed on a certain stock exchange were all different from today's closing prices. The number of stocks that closed at a higher price today than yesterday was 20 percent greater than the number that closed at a lower price. How many of the stocks closed at a higher price today than yesterday?

(A) 484
(B) 726
(C) 1,100
(D) 1,320
(E) 1,694

APPROACH #1:

Say \(x\) is the number of stocks that closed at a lower price, then \(1.2x\) is the number of stocks that closed at a higher price. Since the total number of stocks is 2,420, then \(x+1.2x=2,420\) --> \(x=1,100\), so \(1.2x=1,320\).

APPROACH #2:

If the number of stocks that closed at a lower price were the same as the number of stocks that closed at a higher price, then the number of stocks that closed at a higher price would be 2,420/2=1,210. Since we know that more stocks closed at a higher price than at a lower price than the answer must be greater than 1,210: eliminate A, B, and C. Now, E cannot be correct, because in this case 1,694 closed at a higher price and ~700 closed at a lower price, but 1,694 is obviously not 20% greater than ~700, so we are left with D.

Hope it's clear.

I found this Line confusing I thought it meant the difference between today’s higher stocks and yesterdays higher stocks please clear my confusion thank you

The number of stocks that closed at a higher price today than yesterday was 20 percent greater than the number that closed at a lower price.

If \(x\) is the number of stocks that closed at a lower price today than yesterday, then \(1.2x\) (so 20 percent more than x) is the number of stocks that closed at a higher price today than yesterday.

Can you please tell me what is there to clarify ?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 104
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
A2D2 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 484
(B) 726
(C) 1,100
(D) 1,320
(E) 1,694

APPROACH #1:

APPROACH #2:

Hope it's clear.

The number of stocks that closed at a higher price today than yesterday was 20 percent greater than the number that closed at a lower price.

If \(x\) is the number of stocks that closed at a lower price today than yesterday, then \(1.2x\) (so 20 percent more than x) is the number of stocks that closed at a higher price today than yesterday.

Can you please tell me what is there to clarify ?

This “than yesterday “ can be omitted…. We’re not comparing from yesterday as we have no data 4 yesterday,only today
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 20
Schools: Booth (II) LBS
Send PM
Hi,
I have a question here: when I read the question, I thought the total number of stocks can be divided into 3 sub-group: (i) stocks which performed better, (ii) stocks which performed less than yesterday, (iii) stocks which did as good as yesterday. How did you exclude the last group (i.e., those which did as good as yesterdayà in your analysis? Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 786 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Let's denote the number of stocks that closed at a higher price today than yesterday by x. Then, we know that the number of stocks that closed at a lower price is (2420 - x), since there are a total of 2,420 stocks.

We also know that the number of stocks that closed at a higher price is 20% greater than the number that closed at a lower price. Mathematically, we can express this as:

x = 1.2(2420 - x)

Expanding the right side of the equation, we get:

x = 2904 - 1.2x

Adding 1.2x to both sides, we get:

2.2x = 2904

Dividing both sides by 2.2, we get:

x = 1320

Therefore, 1320 of the stocks closed at a higher price today than yesterday.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
This final part of the question troubles me. The question asks:How many of the stocks closed at a higher price today than yesterday?

so doesn't that mean 1320(higher priced stocks today)-1100(higher priced stocks yesterday=210
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
93155 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts