Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Young Indian Mensan- Low CGPA, high GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Young Indian Mensan- Low CGPA, high GMAT [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 23:39
1) Work ex- India's top IT company (i know it's a cliche but oh well !). A pre sales consultant. work with clients to figure the best-fit solution for their requirements and then develop, deliver the solution as well. will have 3 years of work ex by September 2014 (am 24 y.o)

2) GMAT- 750 (Q-49, V-42, IR-8, AWA-5). First attempt (July 2014)

3) Top Indian private university. CGPA- 6.4/10 (considered as 'first class' by the university).

4) Have quite a few extracurriculars. Will list main ones-
-Was a volunteer at a TedX event.
-Helped start a CSR activity in my company. Recieved appreciation from HR for it.
- Member of Toastmasters club. Was secretary. Completed CC,CL,ALB. Won 'triple crown' award.
-Member of India's largest volunteer organization. Teach orphans on weekends. Was recently made 'centre coordinator'. In charge of 6 other volunteers.
- Member of Mensa. Scored 99 percentile on their IQ test.

5) No certifications worth mentioning. Planning to do a MOOC course on Finance. Not sure if i will be able to complete it by R1 though since it's for 3 months.

6)Target programs- H/S/W (if possible). Yale, Columbia, NYU.

7)Planning to apply- R1 2014 , R2 2014

8) Post MBA goal- achieve a senior managerial position in a large multinational corporation and gain experience about the international business.And later leverage this experience in my father's business and expand it further.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Young Indian Mensan- Low CGPA, high GMAT [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2014, 00:01
Hi Aryaman,
Your story seems very inspiring for me. I too have a gpa of 6.87/10 and have done my engineering from a top notch private college in India. I am currently working in Dubai since last 3 years almost ( came right after engg.).

It would be great if you can share your prep details as I am planning for GMAT by Aug/ Sept to get the admission by next year.

Regards
Kshitij

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: Young Indian Mensan- Low CGPA, high GMAT [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 04:42
Expert's post
Hello,

While there are many strengths in your profile, I’d consider HBS and Stanford very high reaches, perhaps outside the “reasonable” range. (In part because of your over-represented profile – effectively halving the overall acceptance rates). Your competitiveness depends in part on certain specifics and details. For example, is your work track record outstanding in terms of impact and leadership? Also, you clearly have taken on leadership in the extracurricular realm; can you cite meaningful and/or impressive impacts and outcomes from your efforts? Finally, your goals need more specificity and vision to engage the adcom, even though they are logical on the surface.

Regarding the MOOC – you can still mention it in your application, even if you haven’t completed it.

Also, I suggest not emphasizing MENSA – the adcoms focus on what you DO with whatever smarts you have.

As for schools, I’d suggest applying to either HBS or Stanford as a very high reach, and to the other programs as appropriate reasonable reaches. And be sure to address the points in the first paragraph above in you applications.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog