Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
In my first attempt, I got 33 in verbal which is 69 percentile. In the second attempt I got 30 in verbal which is 59 percentile. I also think that I need to retake...Manhattan SC is gr8, I did it thoroughly..as I have explained, I couldn't understand the adaptive nature since the level of difficulty of the questions kept on increasing. I think i started off well but soon fell under time pressure..with 30 mins left and 28 qs to go....

Now, I am targeting top schools but which are quant based, like sloan, chicago gsb or columbia...I need to re take but the question is what more I need to do for english?...can U please help? should i go for the LSAT books?..this time I felt that I was improcing in verbal but got even lower than the previous time..the practice tests are all exhausted...getting 38+ consistently had given me a good confidence..but now, I know how it feels like... the happiness for 51 in quant is all gone..can u people please guide me ahead!

Thanks in advance....thanks for the reply..with 90+ visits and only one response, till now, I was really feeling extremely down!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ikaytas wrote:
Thanks in advance....thanks for the reply..with 90+ visits and only one response, till now, I was really feeling extremely down!

Hey buddy. I am also one of those 90+ viwers confused about what to advise.
I don't have a great verbal score either (80%). I was getting 38-40 in practice tests and only a couple of times did I get 41.
My problem was more of time management and stamina. I did 3 GMATPrep and 1 MGMAT test in the last 3.5 weeks which is not enough to become accostumed to the 4 hr gurelling test.

If time management for CR and RC is ur problem I suggest you get the Next 10 Actual official LSAT book. I really liked this book. CRs are more difficult than GMAT ones and RCs are more complex. The questions are same as the ones you find in CR1000/RC1000 but this book provides OAs (but No OEs).

You got 50/51 in Quant which tells me that you are defenitely smart. It may be a question of strategy. Review Rhyme's Stick post in this forum and develop ur own strategy. Most important aspect of GMAT is to develop a foolproof POE strategy. You CANNOT just select an answer because you think it is RIGHT. You have to selct an answer because you have proved that other 4 answers are WRONG!

And don't hate any section or type of questions. There's always something to learn from each section. Try to have fun learning new things each day of ur prep!

Good luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
First of all, 690/680 are great scores, congratulations!

As for your verbal score, I do think that there's room for improvements if you still have the heart to do it. This kind of things do happen. I still remember when I took TOEFL before I came to the US, I did poorly on grammar. I worked on it diligently for a month and upon retake, I got the exactly same score as before but full credit for listening (go figure). It may be chance, or it may mean that your preparation is still not enough for you to get on the next step. From your account, it seems that you did not manage your time very well this time, struggling to finish and so on. It is a myth that the first 5-10 questions are more important than the last few questions. If you got all the last questions wrong it can very well drag your score down. I find that it has no use to try to assess how you are doing based on your feel of the difficulty of the questions. It may be actually better to not to notice the difficulty of the question and just keep doing what you should be doing, allocating each question appropriate time.

As for preparation for retake, I think SC may be the fastest way to improve. When you had the "click" and knows how to attack these kind of questions, then move on to CR, and prepare RC in the background, letting it build up by itself.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.46
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
advice? No , more like suggestion [#permalink]
i thnik u shoudl retake it it seems to me that american schools , be it at the college level or the graduate level liek to see well-rounded applicants, the points disparity between the two scores will not cut it , esp for the top schools.

my two cents
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dude,
you seem to be a bit over excited about the verbal section. You are obviously very good at the quant section but the two sections are completely different. You can do very well by being very good at math for the quant but the verbal takes a more measured approach...it is more about feel and language appreciation than learning logic. I would urge you to read Kaplan 800 book which I found very useful (I got V 46 = 99%) and read financial journals etc.

Best of Luck for any future tests.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts