Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink]
RoyHalladay wrote:
I'm leaning towards an ultrabook (Lenovo/Asus/Sony). Really digging the portability and battery life. Only downside is the missing optical drive. Will this be a problem or should I suck it up and get a regular laptop?

Same here, but I agree with BB. You'll need an optical drive maybe once per semester. Maybe we can get some classmates to split the price of a usb dvd drive and share?

OR, maybe someone would be nice enough to rip the image and put it on a usb for us...

Either way, if its a hassle once a semester or not, I think its worth the portability and extra battery life.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
DMNY31 wrote:
So I deperately need a new laptop, however I have yet to decide on a program for the fall.

Assuming I buy a new PC with good specs, is there any reason I should wait to hear from the programs on computing details? Do some schools offer discounts on certain progams (Office, adobe, etc) to save me some money?

You should check the computer situation for each school you're considering. All Tuckies use the same ThinkPad. I think the school gets a massive deal on it. If none of your prospective schools has a situation like that, you should be able to purchase hardware (the laptop itself) without worry. But I'd hold off on software, as others have suggested.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
NonYankee wrote:
DMNY31 wrote:
So I deperately need a new laptop, however I have yet to decide on a program for the fall.

Assuming I buy a new PC with good specs, is there any reason I should wait to hear from the programs on computing details? Do some schools offer discounts on certain progams (Office, adobe, etc) to save me some money?

You should check the computer situation for each school you're considering. All Tuckies use the same ThinkPad. I think the school gets a massive deal on it. If none of your prospective schools has a situation like that, you should be able to purchase hardware (the laptop itself) without worry. But I'd hold off on software, as others have suggested.

Everyone at Yale gets the same computer too. Agree with all of the above -- just adding on to the seemingly short list of schools that include computers with tuition
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:
I'm leaning towards an ultrabook (Lenovo/Asus/Sony). Really digging the portability and battery life. Only downside is the missing optical drive. Will this be a problem or should I suck it up and get a regular laptop?

Same here, but I agree with BB. You'll need an optical drive maybe once per semester. Maybe we can get some classmates to split the price of a usb dvd drive and share?

OR, maybe someone would be nice enough to rip the image and put it on a usb for us...

Either way, if its a hassle once a semester or not, I think its worth the portability and extra battery life.

Your school's computer/tech store/wherever you go to service your computer might also have one that you can borrow at the counter.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I played around with Windows 8 the other day. Seems a little too gimicky and looks like its better suited for tablets (it was on a touch screen laptop, though).

Anyone have arguments for W8 over W7?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
RoyHalladay wrote:
I played around with Windows 8 the other day. Seems a little too gimicky and looks like its better suited for tablets (it was on a touch screen laptop, though).

Anyone have arguments for W8 over W7?

Have you checked your school's tech requirements? Mine wants us to W7 professional, not W8, so that makes the decision easy for me.

But in my experience, it seems like the only thing W8 has going for it is that it's a quicker OS. Plus, there's a learning curve that goes along with it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
A lot of people say MS office is fine on MAC but I have to say that I constantly run into small things that make all the difference... (ie excel doesnt work as well in MAC, compatibility issues)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
For those of us who are considering using a Mac during the course, I have a suggestion. I use the Mac for my personal use, but my office has a Windows-only setup. What I've found is that while the Mac is a brilliant platform, and the hardware is simply top-tier, the MS Office suite on Windows is years ahead of the Mac version. Especially if you're an advanced user and would consider using VBA within the suite, then forget about it. I am planning to use an Air along with Parallels just to be able to use the Windows version of the Office suite.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
jko wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:

Will your new laptop be your only computer at school? I know that I'll have a couple desktops and probably my old laptop, so I'll easily be able to manage using a primary laptop without an optical drive.

It's also astoundingly cheap to get a usb optical drive:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ical+drive

I don't think you should limit your laptop choices based on whether they have an optical drive or not.

Good tip. And, to everyone, I changed my mind and decided to get a Windows laptop after all rather than struggle with Boot Camp or Parallels. For what it's worth, I ordered a Lenovo X230. It should be here tomorrow, so I can post my thoughts after a few weeks if folks are interested.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
Good tip. And, to everyone, I changed my mind and decided to get a Windows laptop after all rather than struggle with Boot Camp or Parallels. For what it's worth, I ordered a Lenovo X230. It should be here tomorrow, so I can post my thoughts after a few weeks if folks are interested.

Awesome, please do. Did you get W8 or W7? Seems like online reviews are weak for W8.

Also, that 12.5 inch IPS screen will be sweet. Getting a secondary display for home?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
I read that many people here prefer to use the Thinkpad. Any particular reason why? To me personally, IBM's laptops or ultrabooks do not look attractive. Although I haven't tried using it.

I'm thinking more on the Samsung ultrabook Series 5 (or maybe if my budget allows, Series 9). Does anyone have a thought on this?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
stewartlife wrote:
I read that many people here prefer to use the Thinkpad. Any particular reason why? To me personally, IBM's laptops or ultrabooks do not look attractive. Although I haven't tried using it.

I'm thinking more on the Samsung ultrabook Series 5 (or maybe if my budget allows, Series 9). Does anyone have a thought on this?

Thanks!

In my opinion, Thinkpads are top of the line. I've been using them for a few years (work laptop) and they are reliable. many large companys and firms solely use Thinkpads partly for this reason. I agree that the level of esthetics isn't up to the level of the Samsung ultrabooks or Macbooks, but these are of the "I'm all business, no games" genre of laptop.

With that said, I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a Thinkpad X series this week.
Director
Director
Send PM
RoyHalladay wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:

Awesome, please do. Did you get W8 or W7? Seems like online reviews are weak for W8.

Also, that 12.5 inch IPS screen will be sweet. Getting a secondary display for home?

I'll definitely keep you posted. I decided to go with W7. Personally, I haven't been convinced of the utility of W8 for non-touch devices. Plus, I'd rather not have to deal with learning a new OS with everything else going on. Based on reviews online, I opted to pay the $50 extra for the IPS panel; it definitely sounds like it will be worth it!

Up until this point, I haven't thought too much about getting a secondary display for home. My initial thought is no since I've been using a 13" MBP for a few years now, but I suppose you're right... detailed Excel and Powerpoint work does get frustrating on a small display.
Director
Director
Send PM
stewartlife wrote:

Thanks!

I actually like the utilitarian look of the ThinkPad. That said, the most important factors for me in choosing a computer were performance, reliability, and battery life. ThinkPads always review well and, as RoyHalladay mentioned, are often the laptop of choice for most corporations.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE:Operations (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
RoyHalladay wrote:
stewartlife wrote:

Thanks!

In my opinion, Thinkpads are top of the line. I've been using them for a few years (work laptop) and they are reliable. many large companys and firms solely use Thinkpads partly for this reason. I agree that the level of esthetics isn't up to the level of the Samsung ultrabooks or Macbooks, but these are of the "I'm all business, no games" genre of laptop.

With that said, I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a Thinkpad X series this week.

What do you think of the Lenovo Helix? I was initially planning on getting the x230t but now think I'm going to go with the Helix instead...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jbm2278 wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:
stewartlife wrote:

Thanks!

What do you think of the Lenovo Helix? I was initially planning on getting the x230t but now think I'm going to go with the Helix instead...

Its definitely a sweet machine...but not worth the price IMO.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Can anyone comment on which processor would be enough: i5 or i7?

And how much disk space will be enough? For example, macbook air and many ultrabooks now use SSD. But the price for SSD is really high. Is 128GB enough? Or do we have to have at least 256GB?

Also, what about the screen size? Assuming that there will be no monitor to plug in to. I see that the IBM Thinkpad X series has 12.5" screen. Is that enough? I'm thinking of maybe getting a 13" screen. But I definitely don't want 14", as it seemed to big and will be too heavy.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7