Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

6 weeks out, need some advice! Thanks in advance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 21

6 weeks out, need some advice! Thanks in advance [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 04:37
Hey guys,

Let me first introduce myself: I am a 22 year old student from outside the US and I just finished my bachelor (B.Sc. in Business Administration). Currently, I am thinking of doing a GAP year with several internships after which I want to pursue a M.Sc. (either CEMS or SIM at Uni St. Gallen).

Currently, I have about 2 months of free time and therefore, I wanted to take my first GMAT test in about 6 weeks from now. Because I am totally new to this subject and I find all overviews provided in this forum kind of overwhelming, I wanted to ask you guys what the best strategy would be for me?

I have not taken any practice tests yet but I assume that I am considerably weak in quant and average in the verbal section (I hope around 450-500 in total). My realistic aim for the final test is a solid 650, a dream would be 700+ but I think this is not really achievable in the short period of time.

Within the next 6 weeks I plan on studying about 5-8hrs/ day with a few small breaks in between (doing sport – meeting friends etc.). Which materials do you recommend me for using?

Being silly and fussy, I already purchased the OG 13 + OG 13 Quant + OG 13 Verbal. I guess, after having read a few topics, that this isn’t the best choice since they are mostly a collection of questions and do not provide any strategies?!

Thus, what could I buy in order to prepare adequately during the next few weeks? Is the MGMAT set helpful in this case (kinda expensive, isn't it) ? And if so, where can I purchase it in Europe without having to wait at least 1-2 weeks before it gets delivered?

Are there any other major points that I should consider during preparation? I already have a mental check list, consisting of:

1) Keeping an error log.
2) Learning basics comes before solving questions
3) Understanding concepts before skipping to harder questions
4) … ?

Best
:?:

With all the best!

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 123 [1] , given: 79

Re: 6 weeks out, need some advice! Thanks in advance [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 10:30
This post received
KUDOS
Welcome to the (*cough*) wonderful world of the GMAT!

I imagine that you've already read the "how to start your GMAT prep" thread, but here's the link, just in case: gmat-study-plan-how-to-start-your-gmat-prep-80727.html.

It's always a challenge to give you solid advice when we don't really know all that much about your skills--maybe you're better at quant or verbal than you think? As a general starting point, I'm a fan of the MGMAT books as a way to learn the fundamentals, and then you can attack the OGs and practice tests once you're comfortable with the basics. If you're really struggling, you might consider starting with MGMAT's Foundations of GMAT Math and Foundations of GMAT Verbal, and then work your way into their regular strategy guides.

I'm pretty sure that all of MGMAT's guides are available as e-books, so you don't necessarily have to worry about having copies shipped to Europe... unless, of course, you hate e-books. :)

And yes, the MGMAT books are somewhat pricey, but if you need an all-in-one resource, it's about the best you'll find. Many GMAT Clubbers are fans of other resources (Nova or PowerScore or GMAT Hacks or Aristotle or ...), but I think that the MGMAT materials are probably best if you're looking for a very general self-study program and don't have too much time to figure out which books work best for you. And compared with the $250 you'll spend on each test and the megabucks you'll invest in your education over the long haul, the books aren't so expensive.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your studies!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE: Account Management (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 6 weeks out, need some advice! Thanks in advance [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 11:22
This post received
KUDOS
TheGerman wrote:
Hey guys,

Let me first introduce myself: I am a 22 year old student from outside the US and I just finished my bachelor (B.Sc. in Business Administration). Currently, I am thinking of doing a GAP year with several internships after which I want to pursue a M.Sc. (either CEMS or SIM at Uni St. Gallen).

Currently, I have about 2 months of free time and therefore, I wanted to take my first GMAT test in about 6 weeks from now. Because I am totally new to this subject and I find all overviews provided in this forum kind of overwhelming, I wanted to ask you guys what the best strategy would be for me?

I have not taken any practice tests yet but I assume that I am considerably weak in quant and average in the verbal section (I hope around 450-500 in total). My realistic aim for the final test is a solid 650, a dream would be 700+ but I think this is not really achievable in the short period of time.

Within the next 6 weeks I plan on studying about 5-8hrs/ day with a few small breaks in between (doing sport – meeting friends etc.). Which materials do you recommend me for using?

Being silly and fussy, I already purchased the OG 13 + OG 13 Quant + OG 13 Verbal. I guess, after having read a few topics, that this isn’t the best choice since they are mostly a collection of questions and do not provide any strategies?!

Thus, what could I buy in order to prepare adequately during the next few weeks? Is the MGMAT set helpful in this case (kinda expensive, isn't it) ? And if so, where can I purchase it in Europe without having to wait at least 1-2 weeks before it gets delivered?

Are there any other major points that I should consider during preparation? I already have a mental check list, consisting of:

1) Keeping an error log.
2) Learning basics comes before solving questions
3) Understanding concepts before skipping to harder questions
4) … ?

Best
:?:

I think I really do not qualify to give you a piece of advice, but then I thought I may help you a bit as I have also struggled on similar lines.

For strategies I think MGMAT are better as they kinda explain basics and tell you how to approach a problem. So, they are a good option.

But considering the time constraint, my suggestion is to cover following
For Quant,
1. Number properties Guide
2. Algebra guide
3. Geometry guide( after the first two).

For Verbal MGMAT SC is very good.

For practice first priority is to do OGs and Individual OGs for Quant and verbal and If you still find time Kaplan Verbal an Quant workbooks can be considered.

Lastly, Out of my experience so far :)
I thought I was also better in Verbal than Quant since it did not sound as alien as Quant to me( I am from accounting background). However, I have been observing since right from first mock and further practice, my quant score has a very short learning curve when compared to Verbal. I find it is harder for verbal to improve score than for Quant. So you may not want to give less weightage to verbal. My suggestion is to start off with a mock and see how you go and make suitable adjustments to your preparation.

All the best

P:s
I would not mind a Kudos If you feel this is useful :lol:
Manager
Manager

Re: 6 weeks out, need some advice! Thanks in advance [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 07:19
Anybody else? Would be glad! BG

With all the best!

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: 6 weeks out, need some advice! Thanks in advance [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 08:02
Yes go ahead with MGMAT guides and start working on OG problems...Things will get soughted afted few weeks of preparation.

ATB

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Manager
Manager

Re: 6 weeks out, need some advice! Thanks in advance [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 07:48
prateekbhatt wrote:
Yes go ahead with MGMAT guides and start working on OG problems...Things will get soughted afted few weeks of preparation.

ATB

Are all MGMAT guides equally useful? Just asking, as I 've only always read that the SC part is like a bible for most of the people but the other verbal books are not really necessary?

GZ

With all the best!

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: 6 weeks out, need some advice! Thanks in advance [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 08:00
TheGerman wrote:
prateekbhatt wrote:

ATB

Are all MGMAT guides equally useful? Just asking, as I 've only always read that the SC part is like a bible for most of the people but the other verbal books are not really necessary?

GZ

Focus on number theory,word translation, geometry, cr and sc

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Manager
Manager

Re: 6 weeks out, need some advice! Thanks in advance [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 08:37
I 've just done the Diagnostic Test by OG and here are my results:

Quant:
Problem Solving - Slightly Below Average
Data Sufficiency - Way Below Average

Verbal:
Reading Comprehension - Average
Critical Reasoning - Average
Sentence Correction - Above Average

---------------------------------

As I expected, I was very bad in quant. As for DS, I 've never done anything comparable, neither in school, nor in university and I was not able to solve most of the questions.

Question: Is this a rather good or bad situation? I would prefer it to be rather good as with verbal I 've selected most of the answers using my natural understanding of language (and logic within CR) rather than strictly applying rules, so once knowing some concepts it should be even less difficult, right?

And I guess it is harder to improve in verbal (without having a substantial knowledge base) than in quant in a short period of time?! But it might also be that I am just procrastinating at the moment because I am worried...

Do you guys think one can improve in quant substantially in 4-6 weeks using the MGMAT books (6-8hrs/day) while still shaping the verbal skills a little bit? What other tips do you have for me?

I am worried at the moment but willing to work hard!!!

BG

With all the best!

Manager
Manager

Re: 6 weeks out, need some advice! Thanks in advance [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2013, 12:01
Hey guys, sry for bothering again but I have a question:

The MGMAT package came today and my plan was to finish all Guides according to their numbers and start doing OG questions after that (while reviewing important pages of the guides simultaneously). Is that a good approach? I thought of starting and finishing one topic at a time because I thought this was the most efficient way, instead of having 3 guides in progress and getting all messed up?

BG

With all the best!

Re: 6 weeks out, need some advice! Thanks in advance   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2013, 12:01