Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V33
WE:Business Development (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Send PM
Re: 610 to 700 in a month? [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Rakesh,

Thanks for the post. Appreciate it a lot. Will go through it. Certainly sounds like an inspirational success story.

And I promise to give you Kudos, if you in turn change 'cudo' to 'Kudos' in your signature and usage. :) Honestly, CUDO ME sounds kind of nasty, and I am generally considered to be a very nice person. :lol:

/sns
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Hi Dmitri,

Many thanks for your response and suggestions. They gave me a lot to think about. I will certainly consider Manhattan SC material. I have following additional queries/explanations wrt to your response.

a) I realized that timing is my biggest issue, and have started doing each problem with a timer now. At the moment, I have no realistic idea of what 2 minutes feel like. Hopefully, the situation will improve in the coming 30 days. My past strategy of looking at time every 7 problems bombed spectacularly. Do you know of any other tricks/methods?

b) About cramming too much material in a short span, I know what you mean. I am already struggling to stay on course with the study plan during this long weekend, and can only imagine it blowing to pieces during tougher weekdays. :shock: I am curious about your statement that each problem review can take upto 20-30 minutes. What exactly are we supposed to review? When I revisit problems that were wrong in the first attempt, it normally doesn't take more than a quick perusal of the solution for me to 'get it'. What is it that I'm doing wrong?

c) In both Quant and Verbal, I have often read forum members here talking of preparation/revision/strategy on the basis of problem type. Is that really necessary? In my first preparation attempt (4 weeks as well), I just broadly covered the problems according to the curriculum - for e.g. in Stats - standard deviation, Mean median mode and graphical representation. Is not knowing/tagging each problem type majorly affecting my score?

Thank you for all your help! :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64929 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
sns wrote:
Hi!
I scored 610 (V: 35 Q: 44) in my first GMAT attempt. I have now scheduled another slot a month away.

My key areas of improvement are:

a) Quant Speed: Severely ran out of time in the last 10 questions. Must have guessed about 8.
b) Verbal Accuracy: I am surprised by my low Verbal score. This needs to go up by at least 5 points.
C) Sentence Correction: I am terrible at SC accuracy. This is aggravated by the fact that I am fluently bi-lingual in English almost as a native tongue, but never actually studied ANY grammar. Need to start from scratch. RC is my strongest point. CR could improve, though the accuracy is about 80%.
D) Probability, Rates & work and Statistics: These are my bane. I can probably attempt basic Stats questions except standard deviation, but probability/rates & work just escape me.

I am waiting for my official score, so not mentioning IR here. I had a terrible time at it during practice tests, but the questions in actual exam were fairly easy. Wondering how much I will score there.

My query is whether its reasonable to expect about 80 - 90 points jump in a month's time? I have planned the following strategy:

a) Revise all basic Quant concepts in the first week
b) Do entire OG at least 2 times
c) Dedicated error log (I did not do this the last time)
d) Kaplan 800 difficult questions set
e) Dedicated time for verbal, especially grammar.

Have there been any success stories here, who have managed to do the same? Any tips/encouragement/realistic assessment would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

Dmitry has given you some great advice. Let me add a couple of things:

You need to have a feel of how much time you take to solve each question and you should realize when you start pushing it. It takes approx 30 secs to read a Quant question and understand it properly. You recognize what is given and what you have to find. Usually, if you understand the problem well, it will take you up to a minute to solve it. Then there is a 30 sec buffer to confirm that what was asked was what you have found and to figure out the problem area in case you ended up making a mistake. Try to run some test sessions. 5 questions - 10 mins. Look at the clock as frequently as you want in the first few sessions to get a feel of time. Try to develop a steady rhythm so that you don't try to rush some questions and laze out on others.
Also, speed has a lot to do with the methods you use to solve the questions. Do you find yourself making equations with 2 variables often in GMAT questions? Usually, you don't need to make any equations - you can solve the questions logically. Even if you do, you can often make do with a single variable. Try to find out the various approaches you can use to solve different question types.

Also, try out these links of my posts on topics that bother you:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/?s=quar ... 120&y=-250
The top three posts discuss SD. Start from the third post.

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/03 ... -problems/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2012/11 ... revisited/

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/categor ... om/page/2/
The third last post is the first one on P&C. Go up from there.

For SC, you don't really need to work through the details of grammar.. basic concepts certainly, but that's about it. Thereafter, you again need to use your reasoning skills to figure out which option makes most sense. Also, reading extensively will give you an ear for what is right and what is not (though it takes time - definitely more than a month)

All in all, 610 to 700 in a month is an ambitious target. If you did not study much for your first attempt, chances are that you will improve considerably if you put in the required effort this time. If you actually did go through a lot of relevant material the first time around, it could take you some time to break the 700 barrier.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Karishma,

Many thanks for your advice and the links of these posts. I will make it a point to go through them.

Very useful advice on 2-variable problems. I do tend to do that a lot, but I don't think its something I can improve drastically so soon. Will simply have to get faster at it. I am actually quite fast at DS questions (average under 60 seconds). So an incremental increase in PS speed will go a long way.

I will try your suggestion to time myself in short bursts as well and let you know if that works.

A quick note on my previous preparation attempt. Last time I did not study for the verbal section AT ALL, and went for it exclusively 'by my ear'. It wasn't a suicide attempt nor am I too cocky for my own good. :) I simply did not have time because I needed to direct all energies in ramping up Quant section in which I was very weak (I had last studied Maths 15 years ago. :)) So, to answer your question, I did do some intensive (30-35 hours a week) basic maths prep for about 3 weeks, but that's about it.

I am hoping that consciously studying for the verbal section and then improving on the Quant timing would help me inch closer to my goal.

One additional query that I asked to Dmitri as well: Do you think not knowing all 'question types' is affecting my score? I just studied per topic and can't recognize each type when I attempt the problems. Should I invest energy in doing so this time around?

Thanks again! This place is a huge help and a positive inspiration. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Dmitri,

I need a tankard of coffee to fully process it all but thanks a lot! This will provide a lot of direction to my haphazard efforts. I am also slowly aligning myself to the view that I need more time to break the 700 barrier, and might end up postponing my exam by another 25 days. This will be my last attempt at GMAT and I might as well give it my best shot.

Will incorporate a lot of your advice on the review process and identifying problem types. If I make it, you have another success story to add to your mental scrap book. :) Actually, I have started incorporating problem type strategy in my verbal study efforts. The results aren't worth writing home about yet, but am hoping its just a painful process I have to go through before I start seeing results.

/sns

P.S. You don't sound like a crazy teacher at all. Students living near your geographic area are lucky to have access to your in-depth analysis and strategic finesse in person.
GMAT Club Bot