Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: 640 to 740 [#permalink]
ramp275 wrote:
Out of the 4 RCs that I got one was really short (25 lines maybe) but the rest were huge passages. The questions were mostly inference questions and that I think is a good indicator that I was doing well. Overall the RC that I saw in the actual test was a little harder than the GMAT prep RCs. Beside practice questions I'd read about 6 articles everyday from the editorial sections of the WSJ, New York Times or The Economist. I also read the MIT Technology review and The Smithsonian from time to time.

CR was typically of the same difficulty as the GMAT prep but choices were much closer and trickier that the GMAT prep. I felt I could more easily spot the answer in my practice tests than in my actual test. And I have consistently finished my verbal sections with 7-15 mins to spare but as I said, I finished with 30 seconds to spare. Time is something I would keep a closer eye on, especially if I were finishing my practice tests just in time.

SC was a breeze and I think I kinda realized that as test day was approaching. I had a few pet peeves and I made sure I spent enough time on them. Before I even looked at the answer choices I'd try to figure out whether there was any error in the question. With practice you'd get better at it and eventually you won't spend more than about 5-10 seconds doing this. And if you still cannot in these 5 or 10 seconds you can always look at the answer choices but you'd be more willing to consider the possibility that the question might not have an error. A good number of questions in the test did not have an error and I'm assuming I got most of them right.

I hope I answered your question. I hope I have addressed your question but do not hesitate to ask any other question.

Yes, you did quite comprehensively. Many thanks.
Well, this is great to learn that you have been reading articles from the best. WSJ, The Economist, Scientific American. But, I'd like to ask you one thing in this regard. I have been doing the same but I find no interest in reading. I literally pressurise myself to read because I have to improve my RC skills. How do I tell myself that it's imperative that I do this everyday and above that enjoy reading. I really find it hard :(

And yes, overall I can see that the actual test has its level which is above GMAT Prep'. So I 'll have to brace myself and prepare for the worst.

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
I'll try my level best to answer your question and I can only hope that my answer will help you. I am not a big fan of reading too. I've probably read like less than 20 books all my life but I'm generally curious about things. So, when I started the hunt for stuff to read, I began by looking at stuff in economics and history, two of my favorite subjects. So i'd say begin by reading things that you are most interested in and then feature into less exciting areas to eventually topics that would put you to bed. Again, it's a process as is the whole prep. I wouldn't ask you to stay focused while you read from the word go. Start by reading things casually and once you find yourself in some set regimen, begin actively reading. And if you want to challenge yourself ask general questions like "Where is the author going with this passage?" "Why is the author writing this article?" and the usual "What is the main purpose of this passage?". I hope this helps. Good luck for your preps and I really hope that you ace your GMAT.
Director
Director
Send PM
ramp275 wrote:
I'll try my level best to answer your question and I can only hope that my answer will help you. I am not a big fan of reading too. I've probably read like less than 20 books all my life but I'm generally curious about things. So, when I started the hunt for stuff to read, I began by looking at stuff in economics and history, two of my favorite subjects. So i'd say begin by reading things that you are most interested in and then feature into less exciting areas to eventually topics that would put you to bed. Again, it's a process as is the whole prep. I wouldn't ask you to stay focused while you read from the word go. Start by reading things casually and once you find yourself in some set regimen, begin actively reading. And if you want to challenge yourself ask general questions like "Where is the author going with this passage?" "Why is the author writing this article?" and the usual "What is the main purpose of this passage?". I hope this helps. Good luck for your preps and I really hope that you ace your GMAT.

Thanks ramp275

I'd try to incorporate this. Thanks for your reply. It has helped me a lot :)

And yes, best of luck for applications.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Did you end up writing your GMAT? How did it go?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Today I learnt that I got accepted into Stern and got waitlisted at Tuck.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37314 posts