Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q35  V13
Send PM
Re: 690 -> 640 -> 660 What do i do now? Please help [#permalink]
Kudos
I think your first try is enough for you to get MBA. Your AWA is very good. It is better than those get 700+ but AWA is low from 3-4..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Quick question? Are you taking the same CATs over again for your practice tests? If so, they might be overinflating your score since you could subconsciously remember them. If that's not the case then it seem as though you have some pretty bad test day nerves. Some people, no matter how capable, are just not good test takers. It happens. Since you've taken the GMAT three times already I think it might be time to let it go.
I know all about the need for a high GMAT to offset a lower GPA. I wish my score was higher as well. However, at this point it really seems like a pride issue. You feel that your score doesn't truly represent your ability. However, the GMAT may not be an accurate measure of your ability. Hell there are many cases when the GMAT overestimates someone's ability. You see a lot of 99th percentilers with 3.7+ GPAs getting rejected from schools you'd think they'd be a shoo-in for. Why? Because ultimately the GMAT (GPA too) was only one part of the picture and the rest of it wasn't so rosy. You mentioned that you created an alternate transcript. If you did well in these classes then let those be your offset. A 690 shows that you're more than capable of handling the academic rigor of these programs. Put everything else together in a kick butt application. You've spread your apps across elite and near elite schools so you have a shot at getting in somewhere. This is just my two cents. Take it for what you will.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thank you both for your replies.

I cant figure out what happened on verbal for me today, everything felt right while taking the test, it is very unsettling indeed.

I do think my next step is to start working on essays/applications. The problem is I have a poor gpa (sub 3.0, albeit with an engineering major from a top5 engineering school) and I wanted the other parts of my application to be air tight (~720 GMAT, Alt transcript, Great Essays and LORs, Solid though not blue chip WE). I plan on using a consultant on getting my apps ready for round 1. Do you think once I submit that I could give it another try and submit hopefully a better GMAT score afterwards? or will it just hurt me since it would be the 4th time I'm taking it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
I'm not an expert in this field. If I were you I'd definitely take GMAT again after finishing essays and applications ( doesn't mean it would be wise to do so). Just like you said, I'd finish essays and application and then take GMAT again.

I read it on some universities FAQ's that they do take the university's level and standing and GPA into account because some of the top schools make it tougher for students to obtain higher GPA.

Adcom would like to know why you had to take GMAT 4 times to get a 700+ score, so make sure you prepare for that. I would probably give them a reason to explain a zig-zag trend in my GMAT score even if they didn't ask but that's just me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
thanks cvsmech,

After sleeping on it, and getting my head back together I realize that ill have to try it again, I'll just step back for a bit while I work on my essays. Although typically frowned upon I think I have to go at it a 4th time if i want to get into my dream school and I would rather have to explain a 730 than have to try and justify a 690 to adcom.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1173 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
@johnnyGMAT2k10, Good Luck :). Hope you get 720+ this time! Go for it !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
subhashghosh wrote:
@johnnyGMAT2k10, Good Luck :). Hope you get 720+ this time! Go for it !!

Thanks buddy, i appreciate it
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thank you both tracy and cheetarah (Ive been reading your blog btw, good stuff!) for your responses. My next step is definitely to work on my essays and application, and I do feel confident that I can put together a pretty awesome package. I did have some mitigating factors during undergrad that contributed to my low gpa that I feel I can help explain in my essays. At this point I feel like I stand a chance at the bottom half of my list (USC, Emory, and GaTech) but I would still be well behind the competition for the other 3 schools, and since my goal is to transition from engineering into IB I think its in my best interest to get into one of those top 3. The problem is as it stands now, I am below average in the 2 objective metrics of the complete profile for these 3 schools.

As for my CAT practice, were they repeats, I would say yes and no. The 770 I got 2 days before was from a GMAT Prep test I took before, though I didnt notice any repeats during the test, but the 780 MGMAT i took a week prior wasnt a repeat. As for my 2nd test they were mostly new CATs and the repeats I did have were from over 6 months ago, before my first attempt, the 690. The problem with that 2nd attempt was I froze on the first quant question and couldnt recover from it, but I did well on verbal. Then the 3rd time I did what I was capable of in quant and didnt get it done on verbal. I was definitely a victim of test day jitters, which really bothered me b/c Ive always been a great standardized test taker. As for the pride thing, I do think that does play a part in it, but I honestly feel that i have a 730 score in me, especially after my staggered score on the last two tests, if I could have just put it together on one day I would be at about a 720 right now if not better.

Right now I am going to get started on my essays on my top 4 schools since emory has rolling admissions and gatech isnt due until january, and depending on if/when I get those done or close to done, i may try and study and give it one more go if I have time. Im not entirely sure at this point but I am going to get professional consultation and see if I should do this when the time comes. But for now and the rest of the summer its all about the essays for sure
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts