Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: 700 (Q49 V36) experience + Retake advice please! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I would highly recommend doing Toast Masters. I have not finished my CC "qualification" but having done 4 speeches, I have seen a substantial improvement in structure, organization, and speaking (essay and interview skills), which would be highly valuable for your profile in terms of what you write about and also in terms of putting an additional item on your leadership credential. This is a no-brainer and the only thing that will keep you from doing it is your fear. The only issue with Toast Masters is that it is a perishable skill. You have to keep doing it to stay sharp.

Second suggestion is to think about what you are passionate about (what you have been passionate about) - anything at all and engaging in that (i.e. you don't have to feed homeless; it could be less benign, and something more fun that builds your personality and makes you memorable) - this can be fitness, sports, activity, travel, etc. Make a goal, and achieve it.

Third, see here: extracurricular-activities-what-you-can-do-143183.html

Bottom line: you can get A LOT done between now and October or January (R2 deadline). Tons of accomplishments if you are not distracted by the GMAT 2-3 hours per day. Think of what you could achieve if you used that time and energy elsewhere? Did I convince you?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the suggestions… Great tip on Toast Masters! I am surprised there is actually a CLub in my city.

I do have a lot of passions, but hard to translate into measurable mba-material activities I think… I already backpacked for months in various parts of the world, and I do practice a lot of sports but without any ‘official’ leadership role… bottom line: I have things to talk about that prove I am not one-dimensional, but not necessarily something I can least as a major achievement or an example of leadership.

Did you convince me? Partly ☺ ! I can probably do both things, improving my profile and retaking GMAT (also depending on how much time I have from work… being a consultant, workload demand can vary a lot..)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I will definitely go for it man, it cant hurt doing it one or two more times, just dont lose focus on the other part of the applications which are extremely important too. Also take into account your times and job, It is a very different scenario if you are applying for fall 2015 or 2016.... either case I will do the GMAT one more time at least

I'm also a Int. applicant and just when through the whole process in the end I got into a top ten school but one big take away of this year was that the applicants pool is growing in both quantity and quality, as there is more prepared people that went through this kind of processes for undergrad school and haven't stop improving since then..... Personally I don't buy the whole "hollistic" thing, while I do think that you have to do stellar essays, resume, etc... the GMAT is the most important part of the application especially in these times. (taking aside the geographic and ethnic part, which plays a bigger role but you cant do anything about it).

good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
I will play devils advocate here.

I applied with a 700 in 2011 and got rejected with no interview from HBS, Wharton, Columbia and MIT
I applied with a 760 this year and got accepted to Wharton, Booth and Fuqua. I got waitlisted at MIT and an interview invite from Columbia.

Not a whole lot else changed about my profile.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
What Should be the Total Score
GMAT prep test 1 - 670 (Q34, V26) => 510
GMAT prep test 2 - 740 (Q50, V39), IR - 7 => 720
GMAT prep test 3 - 760 (Q50, V41), IR - 8 => 740
GMAT prep test 4 - 750 (Q50, V40), IR - 8 => 730
GMAT Real 760 (Q51, V41), IR - 8 => 750
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Joe

I think it´s a tricky question wether you should take a second Gmat because you broke the 700s border and you could do worse on the second Gmat.
I think, first you have to ask yourself wether you are stable on quant because 49 is a really good score, isn´t it. You also had 45 and 46 on the Gmatprep shortly before your test.
Then you should consider as a non-native speaker, which I also am, that there is always a chance of getting some verbal questions, in which you don´t know 1 or 2 important words and then you just can´t get them right. My verbal scores always varyied way more than my quant scores.

But I also want to encourage you because I had issues with the pens in my first gmat, too, and then in my second Gmat I didn´t have these issues because they gave me two well working pens in the beginning of the exam. In my first Gmat the first pen didn´t work well, then I had to raise the hand to get another pen, which didn´t work well either, yet I finished with that pen then because I didn´t want to lose more time or get more distracted.

Regarding how to improve your verbal, my advice is that you focus on timing. My experience is that my verbal scores in the mocks and in the actual tests where always higher when I didn´t get under time pressure in the end. If you answer 2 or 3 wrong in a row in the end of the verbal section your score imo goes significantly down.

Anyways, I think it´s a 50/50 decision. Up to you. Good Luck anyways!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts