Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Send PM
Re: 710 (Q50, V38) on Kaplan CAT1, but awful time management. Solutions? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi theturtle,

From what you've described, your "big" problem right now is "mechanical" - you're doing so much "book-work" that when it comes time to shift formats (and work on a computer), everything takes longer because you haven't trained to work off of a computer. In essence, you haven't figured out the 'efficiencies' in how you can be working. The solution here is to do more computer-based work, which will likely require you to invest in some new resources.

The 'zoning out' that you describe is something that happens to many Test Takers and is essentially a physical problem (and not a mental one). Depending on your specific situation, you might be able to "fix" this problem during the breaks (by eating certain snacks) and/or by adjusting your posture and Test-taking habits.

Since you've been studying for only 1.5 months, it's understandable why you're not performing perfectly just yet. Most Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on the process to hit their 'peak' scores, so it might just be that you haven't put in enough time/effort yet.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 710 (Q50, V38) on Kaplan CAT1, but awful time management. Solutions? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi theturtle,

From what you've described, your "big" problem right now is "mechanical" - you're doing so much "book-work" that when it comes time to shift formats (and work on a computer), everything takes longer because you haven't trained to work off of a computer. In essence, you haven't figured out the 'efficiencies' in how you can be working. The solution here is to do more computer-based work, which will likely require you to invest in some new resources.

The 'zoning out' that you describe is something that happens to many Test Takers and is essentially a physical problem (and not a mental one). Depending on your specific situation, you might be able to "fix" this problem during the breaks (by eating certain snacks) and/or by adjusting your posture and Test-taking habits.

Since you've been studying for only 1.5 months, it's understandable why you're not performing perfectly just yet. Most Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on the process to hit their 'peak' scores, so it might just be that you haven't put in enough time/effort yet.

Rich

Rich,

You're the best. I think you nailed it! Computer-based work, rather than book-work. Now that you mention it, there's something about seeing the problems on the screen that makes me freeze and adds anxiety -- reactions that I don't have with the book. With the computer, it feels like the computer has dominion over me whereas with the book, I have dominion over the book!

Update: I took the GMATPrep the day after I took the Kaplan CAT1. While the scores were similar, the section scores were complete opposite:

Kaplan Q50 V38 (710)
GMATPrep Q44 V41 (700)

My timing was absolutely crazy again -- and it showed in my scoring for the GMATPrep:
On quant, I got 9/13 [69%] correct on the first 13 questions and only 10/24 [42%] correct on the last 24 questions.
On verbal, I got 24/26 [92%] correct on the first 26 questions and only 8/15 [53%] correct on the last 15 questions.
The surprising part was that I answered every question in under 3 minutes. (I'm being super wasteful on any one question.) Seems like the extra 40 seconds or so for questions on the first half of the test really came back to bite me.

Two final questions for you:
(1) For computer-based practice, any specific drills you'd recommend for fixing the timing problem?
(2) Are there any insights I should take away from the bizarre differences in section scores on the GMATPrep vs. Kaplan CAT1 (Q44 vs. Q50, V41 vs. V38)?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi theturtle,

Pacing problems don't exist on their own - they're the result of other problems. To start, you should take a good look at HOW you go about answering questions and WHY you get questions wrong. It might be that getting in some extra repetitions will help you to build your "muscle memory" and start to answer questions faster (as you learn to recognize them quicker). You might also come to find that the approach that you're using is the "long way" to answer a question, so learning/practicing additional tactics might be the solution. I wouldn't expect anyone to have perfect timing after just 1.5 months of studying.

The differences in Scaled Scores on those two CATs is interesting, but they're likely due to a variety of factors (some of which you have no control over). Instead of trying to explain it, you should review the questions that you got wrong and count up the number of times that you:

1) Got a question wrong because of a little/silly mistake.
2) Got a question wrong because it was too hard.
3) Got a question wrong because you narrowed it down to 2 choices, then "guessed wrong."

It's in those details that you can figure out what to focus on as you continue to study. As long as you continue to take the ENTIRE CAT each time, these scores show that you're on the right path to perform at a high level on Test Day.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot