Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

770, AWA 6.0... feels good man

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 123
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [3] , given: 13

770, AWA 6.0... feels good man [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 06:26
3
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

I did the GMAT today and got a 770 (Q:50, V:47). I want to thank everyone on this forum, but particularly Bunuel, whose explanations have been invaluable.

Test day experience

Everything went smoother than expected. The test administrators were not too strict, etc.
The AWA section was good, mostly due to this post: how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
I had a hard time coming up with very good reasons for the issue section, but I think it was OK.

I felt that the quant and verbal sections were both quite a bit harder than most practice tests I had done.

Material used
- Kaplan's GMAT premier
- OG 12
- MGMAT SC

Practice tests
(all, except the MGMAT quant sections, which were harder than the real test, were properly timed)
GMAT prep 1: 680 (before I had done any studying)
GMAT prep 2: 760 (Q:50, V:42) (~1.5 weeks before the exam)
Kaplan 2: 730 (Q:46, V:44) (linear)
MGMAT 1: 710 (Q:47, V:40)
MGMAT 2: 730 (Q:48, V:41)
Kaplan 3: 710 (Q:43, V:51) (CAT 1)
MGMAT 3: 750 (Q:48, V:45)
Kaplan 4: 770 (Q:51, V:52) (CAT 2)
MGMAT 4: 740 (Q:47, V:45)
Kaplan 5: 770 (Q:52, V:51) (CAT 3)
MGMAT 5: 780 (Q:51, V:45)
GMAT prep 1: 780 (Q:50, V:47)
GMAT prep 2: 760 (Q:50, V:42)

Study method
I can't find the particular post now, but bb wrote an excellent novice's 3 month study guide. To be honest I deviated quite a bit from it, but in general I stuck to studying quant the first month (more like 2 months, during the first of which I didn't study much), studying verbal the second month, and doing practice questions the 3rd month.

Other random notes:
- In terms of the strategy itself (for solving the various question types), Kaplan seems to have a lot of seemingly logical ones, but at the end of the day I didn't use any of them (for example, I did not make any notes during RC questions, but this may not be the best idea for all test takers).
- While I can see how the error log can be useful, I abandoned it shortly after I started studying.

I don't particularly feel like writing too much right now, but if you guys have any questions I'll be happy to answer them.


Last edited by nickk on 22 Apr 2010, 02:23, edited 3 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 6

Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 06:42
1
This post received
KUDOS
WOW!!!.....congrats man.
wish you good luck for the next phase.
_________________

GMAT, here i come...

impressed?...how bout encouraging me with a kudos

cheers :)
just another idiot!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 131
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 06:55
great score!! congrats.. could you share verbal section difficulty level. sc, cr and rc
and how was the math section compared to gmatclub math test..many thanks
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 123
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 07:06
einstein10 wrote:
great score!! congrats.. could you share verbal section difficulty level. sc, cr and rc
and how was the math section compared to gmatclub math test..many thanks


I have not taken GMAT club's tests, so I cannot compare them to the actual GMAT. I guess it didn't differ too much from the GMAT prep (but I guess that goes without saying).

The SC question were harder than I had anticipated. I had to follow my intuition on a number of questions (it helps that I'm a native English speaker).
CR was comparable to the practice tests I had done.
RC was relatively easy for me. This is mostly because, on the practice exams, I had greater problems with passage concerning law (I literally don't understand these passages at all) and some abstract issues. Fortunately, on the actual exam I mostly got short passages relating to the natural sciences which I'm OK at.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2008
Posts: 80
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 07:31
awesome score nickk. For the SC's you said you had to follow your intuition did the 'this sounds correct' approach worked well for you. If so any particular pointers on how to effectively use the intuition approach. Was MGMAT SC all that you refered to for the SC section?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 131
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 07:32
nickk wrote:
einstein10 wrote:
great score!! congrats.. could you share verbal section difficulty level. sc, cr and rc
and how was the math section compared to gmatclub math test..many thanks


I have not taken GMAT club's tests, so I cannot compare them to the actual GMAT. I guess it didn't differ too much from the GMAT prep (but I guess that goes without saying).

The SC question were harder than I had anticipated. I had to follow my intuition on a number of questions (it helps that I'm a native English speaker).
CR was comparable to the practice tests I had done.
RC was relatively easy for me. This is mostly because, on the practice exams, I had greater problems with passage concerning law (I literally don't understand these passages at all) and some abstract issues. Fortunately, on the actual exam I mostly got short passages relating to the natural sciences which I'm OK at.

nickk thank you for your response... i guess practice exams, you mean exams that u have mentioned in your debrief.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 123
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 08:48
Thanks guys.

sh00nya: Yes, I only used MGMAT SC. It's a great book, but, in my opinion, in contains more than you need to know. In fact, there are many things which I didn't learn in that book. If you are able to master it, you are pretty much guaranteed success on SC.
Regarding the intuitive approach, I'm afraid I can't tell you much more. I don't mean to boast, but I've always been relatively good at English (probably because I used to read a lot as kid) so I just ended up reading a number of the answer choices (after eliminating 2 or 3) a few times and picking the one that was best.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 190
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 14:04
congrats
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2009
Posts: 329
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User
Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 14:59
awesome score... Congrats !
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 937
Location: New Haven
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 16:02
congrats on the great score. looks like you had some good materials to work with. best of luck in your apps
_________________

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 20:07
congrats for big score !! all the best for apps
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12065
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8187 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 20:55
Expert's post
WOW Nick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must be stocked - I absolutely am - fantastic score man!!!!
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 123
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 22:38
bb wrote:
WOW Nick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must be stocked - I absolutely am - fantastic score man!!!!


Thanks bb, your posts have also been most helpful. In fact, without your 3 month study guide I probably would have scored lower.

The school that I'm applying to has a minimum GMAT score of 600, and works on a first come first serve basis, which means that anyone with the minimum requirements is automatically accepted. It feels like it's a big of a shame not to get to use my score fully if you know what I mean :p
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12065
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8187 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 22:39
Expert's post
nickk wrote:
bb wrote:
WOW Nick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must be stocked - I absolutely am - fantastic score man!!!!


Thanks bb, your posts have also been most helpful. In fact, without your 3 month study guide I probably would have scored lower.

The school that I'm applying to has a minimum GMAT score of 600, and works on a first come first serve basis, which means that anyone with the minimum requirements is automatically accepted. It feels like it's a big of a shame not to get to use my score fully if you know what I mean :p


I do, and I felt exactly the same. I picked average (not top 10 schools) for my apps and I felt I could buy more with 750 but at that time, application deadlines for all of the top 10 had passed, so I had a choice. no idea if I made the right one but it worked out :)
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 123
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 22:48
bb wrote:
nickk wrote:
bb wrote:
WOW Nick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must be stocked - I absolutely am - fantastic score man!!!!


Thanks bb, your posts have also been most helpful. In fact, without your 3 month study guide I probably would have scored lower.

The school that I'm applying to has a minimum GMAT score of 600, and works on a first come first serve basis, which means that anyone with the minimum requirements is automatically accepted. It feels like it's a big of a shame not to get to use my score fully if you know what I mean :p


I do, and I felt exactly the same. I picked average (not top 10 schools) for my apps and I felt I could buy more with 750 but at that time, application deadlines for all of the top 10 had passed, so I had a choice. no idea if I made the right one but it worked out :)


I'm sure it was the right choice. I'm applying for an MSc in Finance program, and I just can't justify spending the inordinate amounts of money that most well known programs charge. The program that I'm applying to is relatively well known and the tuition fees are only a fraction of those at other well known programs such as LSE, etc.

On another note, I'm thinking of putting my GMAT score on my CV. Do you do this?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Sep 2009
Posts: 222
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 22:58
congratz on the great score there.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 956
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 689 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 00:30
Nick,

Great score!

I want to know about the MGMATs. Is it worth purchasing these tests?

Yesterday, I gave the free online test on Manhattan Gmat website. I found the Maths section really challenging but in the Verbal section, I saw all CR and a few SC questions, which I have already done before. So, do these MGMATs contain altogether different sets of questions or you can expect some/many of the questions you have already gone through in such forums.

Please suggest.
_________________

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 123
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 02:13
UPDATE: got a 6.0 for the AWA :D how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html really is the only guide you need

Sorry for the late reply ykaiim.
It is always good to have extra practice tests, and since buying any MGMAT book gives you access to them, I would suggest you buy MGMAT SC (probably the best SC book).
The MGMAT math section is pretty tough, but when you take it untimed and make sure you understand everything, you'll learn a lot. Regarding the verbal section, I can't really comment as it didn't really stand out.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 190
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 16:15
nickk wrote:
UPDATE: got a 6.0 for the AWA :D how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html really is the only guide you need

Sorry for the late reply ykaiim.
It is always good to have extra practice tests, and since buying any MGMAT book gives you access to them, I would suggest you buy MGMAT SC (probably the best SC book).
The MGMAT math section is pretty tough, but when you take it untimed and make sure you understand everything, you'll learn a lot. Regarding the verbal section, I can't really comment as it didn't really stand out.


have you read the powerscore SC bible book?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 123
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 23:11
DAYNE wrote:
nickk wrote:
UPDATE: got a 6.0 for the AWA :D how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html really is the only guide you need

Sorry for the late reply ykaiim.
It is always good to have extra practice tests, and since buying any MGMAT book gives you access to them, I would suggest you buy MGMAT SC (probably the best SC book).
The MGMAT math section is pretty tough, but when you take it untimed and make sure you understand everything, you'll learn a lot. Regarding the verbal section, I can't really comment as it didn't really stand out.


have you read the powerscore SC bible book?


No, I haven't, but if I remember correctly it's also a good SC book.
Re: 770... feels good man   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2010, 23:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 770 (Q49, V47) (6.0 AWA) Debrief AK_X3 5 09 May 2012, 18:45
1 770 (Q50, V44) and AWA 6.0 on my first attempt: debrief rish2jain 7 31 Jul 2011, 09:41
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic 770 (Q49, V47) 6.0 AWA on my second attempt dcduke 21 02 Jan 2011, 21:37
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic 770 Q51 V44 AWA 6.0 GMATClub rules. jjwumaster 32 23 Oct 2009, 13:56
770 (q51, v42,AWA 6.0 )-A Big Thanks to Club Members!!!-Updt gauravgoyal_g 16 05 Jan 2007, 05:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

770, AWA 6.0... feels good man

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ] 

Moderators: m3equals333, TGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.