Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [4]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 555 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
Re: 770... feels good man [#permalink]
einstein10 wrote:
great score!! congrats.. could you share verbal section difficulty level. sc, cr and rc
and how was the math section compared to gmatclub math test..many thanks

I have not taken GMAT club's tests, so I cannot compare them to the actual GMAT. I guess it didn't differ too much from the GMAT prep (but I guess that goes without saying).

The SC question were harder than I had anticipated. I had to follow my intuition on a number of questions (it helps that I'm a native English speaker).
CR was comparable to the practice tests I had done.
RC was relatively easy for me. This is mostly because, on the practice exams, I had greater problems with passage concerning law (I literally don't understand these passages at all) and some abstract issues. Fortunately, on the actual exam I mostly got short passages relating to the natural sciences which I'm OK at.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
awesome score nickk. For the SC's you said you had to follow your intuition did the 'this sounds correct' approach worked well for you. If so any particular pointers on how to effectively use the intuition approach. Was MGMAT SC all that you refered to for the SC section?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 555 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
nickk wrote:
einstein10 wrote:
great score!! congrats.. could you share verbal section difficulty level. sc, cr and rc
and how was the math section compared to gmatclub math test..many thanks

I have not taken GMAT club's tests, so I cannot compare them to the actual GMAT. I guess it didn't differ too much from the GMAT prep (but I guess that goes without saying).

The SC question were harder than I had anticipated. I had to follow my intuition on a number of questions (it helps that I'm a native English speaker).
CR was comparable to the practice tests I had done.
RC was relatively easy for me. This is mostly because, on the practice exams, I had greater problems with passage concerning law (I literally don't understand these passages at all) and some abstract issues. Fortunately, on the actual exam I mostly got short passages relating to the natural sciences which I'm OK at.

nickk thank you for your response... i guess practice exams, you mean exams that u have mentioned in your debrief.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks guys.

sh00nya: Yes, I only used MGMAT SC. It's a great book, but, in my opinion, in contains more than you need to know. In fact, there are many things which I didn't learn in that book. If you are able to master it, you are pretty much guaranteed success on SC.
Regarding the intuitive approach, I'm afraid I can't tell you much more. I don't mean to boast, but I've always been relatively good at English (probably because I used to read a lot as kid) so I just ended up reading a number of the answer choices (after eliminating 2 or 3) a few times and picking the one that was best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
congrats
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
 Q47  V35
Send PM
awesome score... Congrats !
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
congrats on the great score. looks like you had some good materials to work with. best of luck in your apps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
congrats for big score !! all the best for apps
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
WOW Nick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must be stocked - I absolutely am - fantastic score man!!!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
WOW Nick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks bb, your posts have also been most helpful. In fact, without your 3 month study guide I probably would have scored lower.

The school that I'm applying to has a minimum GMAT score of 600, and works on a first come first serve basis, which means that anyone with the minimum requirements is automatically accepted. It feels like it's a big of a shame not to get to use my score fully if you know what I mean :p
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
nickk wrote:
bb wrote:

Thanks bb, your posts have also been most helpful. In fact, without your 3 month study guide I probably would have scored lower.

The school that I'm applying to has a minimum GMAT score of 600, and works on a first come first serve basis, which means that anyone with the minimum requirements is automatically accepted. It feels like it's a big of a shame not to get to use my score fully if you know what I mean :p

I do, and I felt exactly the same. I picked average (not top 10 schools) for my apps and I felt I could buy more with 750 but at that time, application deadlines for all of the top 10 had passed, so I had a choice. no idea if I made the right one but it worked out :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
nickk wrote:
bb wrote:

I do, and I felt exactly the same. I picked average (not top 10 schools) for my apps and I felt I could buy more with 750 but at that time, application deadlines for all of the top 10 had passed, so I had a choice. no idea if I made the right one but it worked out :)

I'm sure it was the right choice. I'm applying for an MSc in Finance program, and I just can't justify spending the inordinate amounts of money that most well known programs charge. The program that I'm applying to is relatively well known and the tuition fees are only a fraction of those at other well known programs such as LSE, etc.

On another note, I'm thinking of putting my GMAT score on my CV. Do you do this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
congratz on the great score there.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Nick,

Great score!

I want to know about the MGMATs. Is it worth purchasing these tests?

Yesterday, I gave the free online test on Manhattan Gmat website. I found the Maths section really challenging but in the Verbal section, I saw all CR and a few SC questions, which I have already done before. So, do these MGMATs contain altogether different sets of questions or you can expect some/many of the questions you have already gone through in such forums.

Please suggest.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
UPDATE: got a 6.0 for the AWA :D how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html really is the only guide you need

Sorry for the late reply ykaiim.
It is always good to have extra practice tests, and since buying any MGMAT book gives you access to them, I would suggest you buy MGMAT SC (probably the best SC book).
The MGMAT math section is pretty tough, but when you take it untimed and make sure you understand everything, you'll learn a lot. Regarding the verbal section, I can't really comment as it didn't really stand out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
nickk wrote:
UPDATE: got a 6.0 for the AWA :D how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html really is the only guide you need

It is always good to have extra practice tests, and since buying any MGMAT book gives you access to them, I would suggest you buy MGMAT SC (probably the best SC book).
The MGMAT math section is pretty tough, but when you take it untimed and make sure you understand everything, you'll learn a lot. Regarding the verbal section, I can't really comment as it didn't really stand out.

have you read the powerscore SC bible book?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
DAYNE wrote:
nickk wrote:

have you read the powerscore SC bible book?

No, I haven't, but if I remember correctly it's also a good SC book.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts