Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Re: 770 gmat prep, 670 actual test [#permalink]
Do both--you have to be prepared for real-GMAT conditions, but going back through some sort of review so you understand your weaknesses and stop repeating mistakes will be helpful too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
eragotte wrote:
So I recently decided to go for my GMAT, I was very confident in my math abilities and decided to book the test 1 month from the time I started studying.

After just a quick review I did a GMATprep and scored 710 (Q49, V38).

I spent 2 weeks after that studying and making notes and took the second GMATprep scoring 770 (Q49, V47). I was disapointed that I did not improve my math score, so for the next two weeks I mostly concentrated on working on the hardest math problems.

(note, I just used the internet to study, I didn't use any kaplan or princeton or whatever books)

Anyways on the actual test I scored 670 (Q44, V38) and 6.0 on the essays. I didn't even prepare for the stupid essays ugh, and I kind of wish I didn't prepare for the whole thing, I probably would have done better.

On the math section I ran out of time and had to guess on 10-15 questions, my brain was just scrambled and I over-thought the questions. The first time when I got my 710 I finished with 15 minutes to spare!

So basically after going through all the stress and disapointment I don't even want to take the test again. It was a real hit to my ego and I couldn't sleep for a few days before and after the test. Also, I talked to a prof from my undergrad at Richard Ivey School of Business (where I want to do my MBA) and I don't even need a GMAT for my application because Ivey doesn't make students with undergrad marks above a certain threshold submit a GMAT score.

Still, I feel like I should write again and try to do better, maybe pursue scholarships at other schools... I don't really have a question, just looking for any advice anyone can offer...

Hey,

With little prep, you can definitely do better. GMAT PREP is the best indicator of one's score and your clearly underperformed your best. Definitely work on your timing and I think you'll do great. What did you think of the actual quant problems? Were they similar to GMAT Prep?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ibbys wrote:
Hey,

With little prep, you can definitely do better. GMAT PREP is the best indicator of one's score and your clearly underperformed your best. Definitely work on your timing and I think you'll do great. What did you think of the actual quant problems? Were they similar to GMAT Prep?

Ummm I can't say for sure... It all is just remembered as a blurr lol. Obviously something made me take a lot longer than in practice, so at the time I felt as though the problems were harder, but I am not sure if they were actually harder, or it was just my scrambled brain playing tricks on me. As soon as I noticed I was behind time and started panicking every question got harder.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
I had fallen prey to the Real-GMAT-Owned-Me-Because-of-Inflated-GMAT-Prep-Score Syndrome too!
:D
I wrote the GMAT for the first time on 26th Dec 2010. I had done 1 GMAT Prep Test before writing the actual thing and I score 720 in it. However, when I wrote the actual GMAT, I scored 650!
:P
Major Bummer!
Anyway... I learned my lesson - to get the full benefit of a prep test, one must take the test in a controlled environment similar to the environment in the real GMAT test center.

I'm writing the GMAT again on 24th of this month and on the GMAT Prep Test 1 retake, I scored 740! But this time, I took away 30 points because it was a retake and then deducted another 20 points for home advantage!
So 690 is a more realistic indicator :D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Entwistle wrote:
I had fallen prey to the Real-GMAT-Owned-Me-Because-of-Inflated-GMAT-Prep-Score Syndrome too!
:D
I wrote the GMAT for the first time on 26th Dec 2010. I had done 1 GMAT Prep Test before writing the actual thing and I score 720 in it. However, when I wrote the actual GMAT, I scored 650!
:P
Major Bummer!
Anyway... I learned my lesson - to get the full benefit of a prep test, one must take the test in a controlled environment similar to the environment in the real GMAT test center.

I'm writing the GMAT again on 24th of this month and on the GMAT Prep Test 1 retake, I scored 740! But this time, I took away 30 points because it was a retake and then deducted another 20 points for home advantage!
So 690 is a more realistic indicator :D

So your suggestion would be not to retake? And that my gmatprep is likely inflated, as opposed to me performing below my ability based on *insert excuse*? Basically I'm not willing to do 2-3 months of hard study to get a 730 or something. I am willing to do some realistic practice exams and get more used to test taking. If people think that will give me a good increase, then it is worthwhile for me.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Well, if you believe that the current score does not represent your full potential, then please try once again. However, do so only after you're ready :)

Read this article:

https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/7 ... erence.cfm

You might benefit from it!

... and do not take any test before studying anything! You'll just waste the test ;)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Entwistle wrote:
Well, if you believe that the current score does not represent your full potential, then please try once again. However, do so only after you're ready :)

Read this article:

https://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/7 ... erence.cfm

You might benefit from it!

... and do not take any test before studying anything! You'll just waste the test ;)

good article, thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.76
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
eragotte wrote:
So your suggestion would be not to retake? And that my gmatprep is likely inflated, as opposed to me performing below my ability based on *insert excuse*? Basically I'm not willing to do 2-3 months of hard study to get a 730 or something. I am willing to do some realistic practice exams and get more used to test taking. If people think that will give me a good increase, then it is worthwhile for me.

Not sure what you mean when you say you're not willing to put in 2-3 months of study for a 730. I'm currently doing exactly the same!
I have a 680 and am targeting 740.
I would recommend that you do all it takes to get that 720+ score. It's no secret that employers are now looking at your GMAT score post MBa as well. Needless to say, your score will stay with you forever.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
itheenigma wrote:
eragotte wrote:

Not sure what you mean when you say you're not willing to put in 2-3 months of study for a 730. I'm currently doing exactly the same!
I have a 680 and am targeting 740.
I would recommend that you do all it takes to get that 720+ score. It's no secret that employers are now looking at your GMAT score post MBa as well. Needless to say, your score will stay with you forever.

Ya I guess, just doesn't seem worth that much time for a few points and another 300 bucks out of my pocket. I am going into Operations/Supply Chain and they worry a lot less about GMAT than a bank or consultancy.

I will probably start doing a bit of work on it some time soon. Busy at work atm.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts