Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
bherronp wrote:
Maybe I am an exception, but I am a west coaster and my #1 school right now is Chicago. Although I do want to move back to the west coast within a couple years after graduation at the most.

I think for knowledgeable people looking seriously at an MBA, Chicago and Kellogg definitely get full credit for their positions. I was talking more about the impressions of generally well-educated professionals that were not "in the know" about business schools.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Disclaimer: international (Argentine).

Neither HBS nor Wharton would ring a bell to my family. Harvard will, but HBS would be met with the same puzzled faces as Wharton (well, that is, until I got into HBS and now -I hope- my parents know what HBS means).

The general (non MBA aware) public in my country would recognize as fine international institutions of higher learning (my guess):

Top Cluster: Harvard/Oxford/Cambridge.

Second Cluster:
- Chicago: as we have had a few important economists from Chicago, including at least one former Finance Minister. Most of these public figures are PhDs or Mscs, though.
- Sorbonne (France).
- Yale.
- MIT (mainly among engineers).
- Berklee (only among musicians).
- NYU (only among "Friends" watchers). :lol:

Then: everything else. Unless talking to someone who has lived in the US, in which case the usual suspects (from UCLA to UNC through Columbia and Georgetown) would pop up.

Hope it helps. L.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Re: A Blatantly Unscientific Inquiry [#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
In the spirit of the completely unscientific "grandparent test" (which of these two schools would sound more impressive to a hypothetical grandparent) I propose the equally unscientific "grade schooler" test. The truly most impressive schools should be the ones that we first hear of as children/young adults.

I'll go first:

1) HBS
2) Wharton (I thought the name sounded cool)

I have lived in 3 different continents (6 years in Libya, 4 years in
Middle East, 10 years in Pakistan and 10 years in USA) and based on my personal interaction with normal people (at least a bachelor degree) at these different countries, Harvard is the BRAND followed closely by Oxford and Cambridge. Yale, Stanford and Berkeley are also very famous. Again, I am talking about masses and not about highly educated circles.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yep - Haddy's list is the sub-continental menu! My family knew -

1) Harvard/Stanford
2) Oxford/Cambridge
3) MIT/Carnegie Mellon
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:

Berklee - among musicians?? I thought Berklee had nothing to do with an MBA. Aren't we confusing Berkeley (UCB) and Berklee (Massachusetts)??

Btw, in my home country (India), the school with maximum brand recall is IIMA. Harvard comes next. Even if one gets through Harvard, people think he applied there in the first place only because he couldn't get into IIMA. The educated people, who are seriously into an MBA and stuff will rank HBS light years ahead, though!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
My Dad knew Harvards and MIT (MIT more for technology).

Overall here in Australia, people recognize the top 5 American Ultra elites as truly the best and give equal weighing to Insead and London Business school as fellow ultra elites.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
mba07 wrote:
Berklee - among musicians?? I thought Berklee had nothing to do with an MBA.

I know they are different institutions and that Berklee has nothing to do with Berkeley, I was just listing institutions which would ring a bell among people. Berklee and Sorbonne would be the institutions within my list that (as far as I know) don't grant MBAs.

L.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Really surprised Australians view LBS so highly. Must be in the same way they seem to have a thing about London.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:
Disclaimer: international (Argentine).

Top Cluster: Harvard/Oxford/Cambridge.

Second Cluster:
- Chicago: as we have had a few important economists from Chicago, including at least one former Finance Minister. Most of these public figures are PhDs or Mscs, though.
- Sorbonne (France).
- Yale.
- MIT (mainly among engineers).

Hope it helps. L.

When I told my dad, who is a physician, I was thinking of attending biz school his first reaction was: "Why don't you take a part-time master in management, after all you already have a decent job?". After everything explained and I was telling him about some schools out there (My initial TOP 20 list), he did not waste time:try Harvard, Stanford, Cambridge and Oxford!

So In Brazil I would say that things are very similar to Argentina:

My dad/grandad Top Cluster: Harvard, Stanford, Cambridge and Oxford

Second Top: MIT, Columbia UCLA, UCBerkeley (UCs are well known there...),

Third Top: other Ivy League schools

The name Wharton itself, apart from the business world and not mentioning the whole university, sometimes raise some eyebrows.

When Kellogg is mentioned some laughs come, for obviou reasons, and I need to tell them: yes it is the "Cereal's school"...

INSEAD: my dad asked me if this is some medicine :lol: (just kidding...)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
Disclaimer: My Indian parents' and relatives point of view

Though my parents are liberal arts graduate but only these names will ring a bell:

Harvard/Oxford/Cambridge/MIT

and my other relatives who have never been overseas don't even know Harvard or may be I am from a remote location :-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
If my grandparents were still alive, I'd ask them. Its too bad really, my grandad would have been very proud of me. I never really got to talk to him about his job - all I knew was he was in turnaround management and helped many failing companies come back to life. In any case, he'd probably have said Bocconi and Harvard.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My parents didn't know what Wharton was until I said it was Upenn.

My whole family knows about Upenn, but not Wharton. Even people that don't really know about B schools, don't know what Wharton is.

They do know about Hah-buh-duh (harvard)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
From my experience, people who are in business but who don't know much about MBAs love Harvard and Yale. Then it's the Ivy schools (but they usually don't know that Brown and Princeton don't have MBA programs.)

Also, I'm happy to report that among internationals, Berkeley seems surprisingly strong.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's very true. As both Kwam and Naturalight pointed out, UC schools and particularly Berkeley are very well known internationally, and especially in Asia. Perhaps a west coast bias?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
That's very true. As both Kwam and Naturalight pointed out, UC schools and particularly Berkeley are very well known internationally, and especially in Asia. Perhaps a west coast bias?

Probably because the UC schools are the only "top" schools with the most amount of Asians. Especially with affirmitive action out.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Growing up in Massachusetts I knew all the schools in Boston. Half my neighbors went to BC so there were tons of Eagles fans and we watched all the games. I was a huge Doug Flutey fan as a little kid so I still do love BC football even though I didn't go there. So I would say I knew about BC before I even knew about Harvard.

Honestly I would bet American kids usually first know of schools their parents went to, live near, or because of their sports teams. I have friends who went to schools based on childhood love of their football or basketball teams. For schools like Duke, Notre Dame, Ohio State...their sports teams are a huge recruitment tool. Friends and family always seem to have their little kids wearing shirts of college sports teams that their parents have no affiliation to. I have friends who went to small schools but now are season ticket holders for major schools and will most likely pass the love of the school along when they have kids.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My parents who are living in South East Asia highly recall Harvard, Stanford, Oxford, Chicago (because of its city). They even don't know Wharton, Kellogg. However, my grandfather would not have known any name of business schools in the U.S.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2