Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A Colossal Failure of Epic Proportions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 2

A Colossal Failure of Epic Proportions [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 20:26
This post received
KUDOS
Just took the GMAT today. I've put in 3 months of close to full time study prep. I've read enough gmat experience discussion forums to not fall victim to the "it could never happen to me" trap, but I am utterly shellshocked at what just happened. My experience is Quant specific, but here it is:

MGMAT CATs
-scoring around Q44 to Q46 (arount 65 to 70th percentile)

GMAT Prep 1: Q45 (71st percentile)
GMAT Prep 2: Q47 (76th percentile)

I am leaving out my verbal scores since I didn't even bother taking the Verbal section on most of my MGMAT tests since I wasn't overly concerned with it (ended with a V40/90th percentile on actual exam).

As for my quant score: Q32 (30th percentile)

Although I could sense things did not go well after finishing the section, I was absolutely stunned when I saw this number show up on the screen. I literally felt a sharp pang shoot through my body the moment my brain understood what my eyes were looking at.

I am usually a decent test taker and wouldn't say I was nervous to any extreme level worthy of mention, leaving me all the more baffled by what just happened.

A retake is probably the ratonal thing to do in this situation, but the extent of this shock has broken my spirit to the point of questioning the merit in doing so. I've looked at the typical stats for retakes, and while I have no doubt that I underperformed, to increase my score to match my self-perceived ability/expectations (around Q45 to Q48) would be such a statistical outlier that I can't quite wrap my mind around it.

I've been very serious about the GMAT and getting an MBA, but this experience has left me in a position to seriously re-evaluate myself as well as my aspirations in the coming days...
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2283

Kudos [?]: 8875 [0], given: 3670

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A Colossal Failure of Epic Proportions [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 22:50
Expert's post
Welcome to GMAT Club (belated) and sorry you have had to make this post.

Your scores seem very much below of what was to be expected based on the GMAT Prep and MGMAT.
I would just take it easy for a month and retake.... I would however, up the verbal and see if you can get it as high as you can since it comes easy for you.

As to the quant, I think it was a glitch. It happens sometimes (no, the test is not perfect). I have seen people score as much as 100 points higher by just watching movies for a month. So, do not get discouraged.

I would however, brush up some other aspects of your quant. A good book may be (if you covered the MGMAT), Kaplan Math Workbook. It has not changed a whole lot in the last 5 years but it is a solid refresher that can help you spot a few holes within a week. The MGMAT has a few books but I do not recommend their advanced quant for you - it is too hard in my opinion and you need to build confidence rather than have that destroyed. (Watch out for the GMAT Club tests - ignore the scores actually or otherwise, it may discourage you).

For now, take it easy for a few days. Don't ponder too much about it - it was a glitch. Nothing about you.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: A Colossal Failure of Epic Proportions [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 07:48
Expert's post
I'm sorry that you had a bad day, kdog28. But it's a good sign that you're already trying to figure out how to solve this problem

I recommend a retake sometime in the near future (one to two months), but rest for now. I'm not sure what happened with the quant section. Could you elaborate on this? Please provide us with as much detail as possible, from your study habits to the day of the test.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: A Colossal Failure of Epic Proportions   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2012, 07:48