Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619029 [13]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [2]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16841 [4]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: A flower arrangement consists of 30 roses, each of which is either whi [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
For the probability of having a white rose to be twice the probability of picking a red one, we need twice as many white roses as red, or 2 parts of white roses for each part of red roses.

To meet this ratio 2:1 in a total of 30 roses we need 20 white roses and 10 red.

Answer D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 435
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
A flower arrangement consists of 30 roses, each of which is either whi [#permalink]
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

Solution

Given:
    • Total number of roses in the flower arrangement = 30
    • Each rose is either white or red in color
    • A rose is randomly selected from the arrangement
    • The probability that the selected rose will be white = 2 * the probability that the selected rose will be red

To find:
    • Number of white roses in the arrangement

Approach and Working:
    • Assume the probability of the selected rose will be white as P(w), and the probability of the selected rose will be red as P(r)
    • P(r) + P(w) = 1, and ……………………………………. (1)
    • Also given, P(w) = 2 * P(r) …………………………... (2)
    • From (1) and (2), we get
      o P(r) = \(\frac{1}{3}\) and P(w) = \(\frac{2}{3}\)

• P(w) = total number of WHITE roses/ total number of roses
    • Therefore, the number of white roses in the arrangement = \(\frac{2}{3} *\) total number of roses
    • Thus, number of white roses = \(\frac{2}{3} * 30\) = 20

Hence, the correct answer is option D.

Answer: D

I get up to the point where the 1/3 and 2/3 come in... am I missing something obvious? Because that makes zero sense to me and it is driving me crazy trying to figure it out. Where did the 1/3 come in?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: A flower arrangement consists of 30 roses, each of which is either whi [#permalink]
Kudos
aanjumz92 wrote:
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

Solution

Given:
    • Total number of roses in the flower arrangement = 30
    • Each rose is either white or red in color
    • A rose is randomly selected from the arrangement
    • The probability that the selected rose will be white = 2 * the probability that the selected rose will be red

To find:
    • Number of white roses in the arrangement

Approach and Working:
    • Assume the probability of the selected rose will be white as P(w), and the probability of the selected rose will be red as P(r)
    • P(r) + P(w) = 1, and ……………………………………. (1)
    • Also given, P(w) = 2 * P(r) …………………………... (2)
    • From (1) and (2), we get
      o P(r) = \(\frac{1}{3}\) and P(w) = \(\frac{2}{3}\)

• P(w) = total number of WHITE roses/ total number of roses
    • Therefore, the number of white roses in the arrangement = \(\frac{2}{3} *\) total number of roses
    • Thus, number of white roses = \(\frac{2}{3} * 30\) = 20

Hence, the correct answer is option D.

Answer: D

I get up to the point where the 1/3 and 2/3 come in... am I missing something obvious? Because that makes zero sense to me and it is driving me crazy trying to figure it out. Where did the 1/3 come in?
Consider the whole question more simply, this is a simple case of probability so the probability will be directly proportional to the number of items (that is flowers here).
So when they say that the probability of getting white is double than that of getting red, it simply means that is x is the number of red flowers, then 2x is the number of white flowers in the setup.
After this,
x+2x=30
x=10
Therefore number of white flowers is 2x ie 20

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos