Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 09:37 It is currently 14 May 2024, 09:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3084 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: A genius? A Vayner? [#permalink]
Wow! Also:

https://www.tagged.com/richard_the_greene

(Also, Well, I went and looked - there is no Richard Greene in the alumni database. The guy sounds completely nuts.)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
Did anyone else find his manner of writing extremely convoluted? I'm pitying whoever had to read his multi-page PhD thesis...

"...boasting, bragging, braggadocio, pompous posing, and self inflation"

Redundancy much? I take it this fellow doesn't understand the beauty that is "an economy of words".
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
After a brief browsing of Rhyme's posted link... this guy most certainly does not understand the concept. Woah.

FairPlay wrote:
Redundancy much? I take it this fellow doesn't understand the beauty that is "an economy of words".
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Hmmm, I would have thought GSB would have higher standards for teachers. Guy seems like a complete wack job.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
This Fall, I'm using ALL my bid points to get into his class!

If nothing else, I bet I'll be able to get some tips on how to bring my (nonexistent) MySpace page from awesome to certifiable.

Helg, AWESOME find. :-D Haven't laughed that much since, well...Alexei Vaynor. Impossible is nothing, indeed!
Current Student
Send PM
I am highly perturbed by the RTG posts about reading and libraries. :?
For someone who supposes himself to be a moral champion for learning, he sure does seem to enjoy flaunting his status based on how much money he spends ordering books on Amazon.

Quote:
I was Borders' bookstore largest single customer in Ann Arbor, Michigan for 9 years in a row while there, often during those years, on a below-average RA or TA stipend. Then I became Amazon.com's largest single customer worldwide for single copy orders of books, for many but not all subsequent years.

My long term post-MBA endgame is to actually build custom libraries and museums. God forbid I'll have to deal with people as incoherently arrogant as this guy.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Kudos
FairPlay wrote:
God forbid I'll have to deal with people as incoherently arrogant as this guy.

Hahaha! FairPlay, didn't I tell you already, you do magic with words? :-D
Current Student
Send PM
Hahah, Thanks Helg!

Unfortunately I must confess that I have mostly used this power for evil... namely, I get asked by girl pals to provide final edits for their nasty emails to boys who stand them up or forget to call. You know, to sprinkle in that extra dose of venom or contempt. :twisted:

To atone for my past wrongdoings upon malekind, I am seeking to write for good now, and tell the tales of life as an MBA. Will let you all know if it comes to fruition!
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
FairPlay wrote:
Hahah, Thanks Helg!

Unfortunately I must confess that I have mostly used this power for evil... namely, I get asked by girl pals to provide final edits for their nasty emails to boys who stand them up or forget to call. You know, to sprinkle in that extra dose of venom or contempt. :twisted:

To atone for my past wrongdoings upon malekind, I am seeking to write for good now, and tell the tales of life as an MBA. Will let you all know if it comes to fruition!

Do you plan to run an MBA blog or anything else? I will be interested to read.
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Another gem from the guru:

Quote:
Carnegie Mellon is a tier 2 university that desperately wants to become a tier 1 university--like MIT, Stanford, Cal Tech, Harvard. As such, it is extreme and narrow and pharasaical--torturing assistant professors more than any other college, forcing publishing of many silly trite research articles more than other colleges, and forcing the getting of meaningless grants for meaningless research projects of tiny topic and infinitesimal social impact more than other colleges. Into this atmosphere of super-effort of the second raters come hordes of innocent students of various stages in life's lifecycles.

The problem with Carnegie Mellon MBA is twofold: one, from the above, a certain pettiness overall to the mindset and style of the faculty (where MIT and U of Chicago and Stanford folks are self confident enough to ignore general academic publishing and grant criteria and take a chance on mavericks and loners, CM seeks only the mainstream petty faculty that will boost their publishing and grant numbers till they reach nirvana--tier one status; two, CM's MBA does not really do business well and does not really do technology well because it tries too hard to do both well. It is neither business nor tech but melange. If you as a student are a bit vague and spread confusingly in career terms, CM will only deepen your problem.

On the other hand, top 10 tier 1 business schools have consistently taught subjects 20 to 30 years AFTER people made lots of money with them--TQM taught 15 years after 12 major US industries were destroyed by the Japanese; venturing taught 30 years after thousands of them made Silicon Valley famous, and so on. NOR OTHER INSTITUTION IN THIS WORLD CAN GUARANTEE TO MAKE YOUR MIND 30 YEARS OUT OF DATE as well as a top 10 MBA program.

If you are "in need" of a top ten MBA you are too stupid to ever work for me. I consider interest in such programs proof of profound "out of it"ness in an employee and it makes me wonder if he has all his marbles or not. I prefer funding my employees to take graduate literature or philosophy degrees (in conjunction with entertainment tech or system bio or evolutionary computing applied degrees). Speaking one's language wonderfully does FAR more for a business and a career than some damn machine crap that males flee to because they are lousy at emotion and social relationships.

https://www.linkedin.com/answers/career- ... 7980%2Ehom

Accentuations are mine.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Hmm, he's a bit crazy.

It's true the Japanese industry does not really value MBA's and they have been succesful without it, because their leadership programs are based upon respect, experience, and job rotation so that you learn all the necessary components of the companies culture at a practical level. However, this was in the days when a job was deemed to be for life, so switching companies was not something someone did.

In todays world, in Japan, the same mentality holds true within industry. The MBA is used as a business analysis qualification, so you wouldn't get into management any quicker, but you can get more interesting roles (if analysis is your thing). Outside of Industry, finance and consulting, MBA's are still generally the way to get in.
GMAT Club Bot