Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 7

A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 10:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

91% (01:00) correct 9% (00:48) wrong based on 92 sessions
949. A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950 have gone to university-press books.
(A) A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950 have gone to university-press books.
(B) A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, university-press books have won 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950.
(C) Increasingly influential as a large sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950 have gone to university-press books.
(D) Since 1950, a large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards have gone to university-press books.
(E) Since 1950, university-press books, a large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, won 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards from then on.

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 297

Kudos [?]: 458 [2] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: *****A large and increasingly influential sector of publishi [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 14:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In the original sentence, we have some faulty modification. The phrase "A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing" should be modifying 'university press books.' This same error occurs in answer choices (C) and (D). Just like that we can get rid of (A), (C) and (D).

WIth (E) the 'Since 1950' and 'from then on' are redundant. Since already means 'from then on.'

Therefore, (B) is the answer.

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 13

Re: *****A large and increasingly influential sector of publishi [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 20:34
A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950 have gone to university-press books.

(A) A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950 have gone to university-press books.
Incorrect: "A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing" is modifying "university-press books," so "university-press books" should come directly after the comma

(B) A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, university-press books have won 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950.
Correct: "university-press books comes after the clause that modifies it. Also "have won" is the correct tense to use since it is talking about an event "since 1950" (not sure if this is necessary, but I thought I'd throw that out there)

(C) Increasingly influential as a large sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950 have gone to university-press books.
Incorrect: Same problem as in choice A.

(D) Since 1950, a large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards have gone to university-press books.
Incorrect: Award phrasing

(E) Since 1950, university-press books, a large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, won 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards from then on.
Incorrect: Seems like awkward phrasing. Also, i'm not 100% sure, but is the tense on the verb "won" incorrect? Should it be "have won" or does it not matter?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 7

Re: *****A large and increasingly influential sector of publishi [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 20:42
Yeah got it !!! How could i miss this :cry: :cry: :cry:
May be i wasn't clear with the meaning of the sentence.
Thanks Mangoosh!!!

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 17

Re: *****A large and increasingly influential sector of publishi [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 07:09
ChrisLele wrote:
In the original sentence, we have some faulty modification. The phrase "A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing" should be modifying 'university press books.' This same error occurs in answer choices (C) and (D). Just like that we can get rid of (A), (C) and (D).

WIth (E) the 'Since 1950' and 'from then on' are redundant. Since already means 'from then on.'

Therefore, (B) is the answer.

I remember reading somewhere, may be not true, that when you use a time frame until and unless there are no two even describes in the statement, it is preferred to use simple past... Is that true. Because of this, since and thereon was an oversight and I selected E. Please confirm.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: *****A large and increasingly influential sector of publishi [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 09:59
@Puneet-

I read 300 books since December 2011. - Am I done reading books?
I have read 300 books since December 2011. - No. "since December 2011" signifies that I am still reading.

since last 3 days, I lived in hut. - So I dont live in hut anymore!
Since last 3 days, I have been living in hut. - Not really. "since last 3 days" means that I am still living in hut.

Hence (E) is incorrect from tense perspective. Of course let's not to discount the redundancy issue.

Thanks
Sumeet
www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

Re: *****A large and increasingly influential sector of publishi   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2012, 09:59