Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2015, 01:49
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 17:48
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

15% (02:06) correct 85% (01:52) wrong based on 276 sessions
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

(A) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
(B)Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
(C)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
(D)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
(E)Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.
[Reveal] Spoiler: DOUBT
Looking for some expert comments on choice C and D. I'm not convinced with OE.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief


Last edited by Vips0000 on 13 Nov 2012, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5739
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1444

Kudos [?]: 7575 [1] , given: 186

Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 18:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Vips0000 wrote:
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

(A) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
(B)Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
(C)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
(D)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
(E)Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.

Looking for some expert comments on choice C and D. I'm not convinced with OE.


What is the publisher's plan? Print a new edition - make it hit the stands the week the movie premieres.

What doesn't support the success of the plan?

(C)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
How will this make his plan successful? He received some money when he sold the production rights to the film studio. It's all done and dusted. It has nothing to do with his plan of printing and selling the book.

(D)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
This helps his plan. This will create more hype for the novel. He will possibly sell more books. Whether it will actually help or not, we don't know. It certainly does support the plan of cashing in on the success of the movie.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 19:06
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

(A) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
(B)Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
(C)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
(D)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
(E)Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.

Looking for some expert comments on choice C and D. I'm not convinced with OE.


What is the publisher's plan? Print a new edition - make it hit the stands the week the movie premieres.

What doesn't support the success of the plan?

(C)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
How will this make his plan successful? He received some money when he sold the production rights to the film studio. It's all done and dusted. It has nothing to do with his plan of printing and selling the book.

(D)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
This helps his plan. This will create more hype for the novel. He will possibly sell more books. Whether it will actually help or not, we don't know. It certainly does support the plan of cashing in on the success of the movie.


Thats right. so it must be C?
so you too do not agree with OA D..

OE:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
'C' :- The fact that the publisher has already received a form of profit from the link of novel and movie supports the soundness of the plan.
'D' :- Although the actress’s high opinion of the novel may add interest in the eyes of the public, it has no direct bearing on the soundness of the publisher’s plan.

_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5739
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1444

Kudos [?]: 7575 [1] , given: 186

Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 19:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Vips0000 wrote:
Thats right. so it must be C?
so you too do not agree with OA D..

OE:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
'C' :- The fact that the publisher has already received a form of profit from the link of novel and movie supports the soundness of the plan.
'D' :- Although the actress’s high opinion of the novel may add interest in the eyes of the public, it has no direct bearing on the soundness of the publisher’s plan.


Yes, (C) has no bearing on the plan. It must be (C)
We can easily argue that option (A) - 'The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.' may also add interest in the eyes of the public; it has no direct bearing on the soundness of the publisher’s plan. Similarly, (B) and (E) talk about other books and movies. We don't know whether this book will follow that precedent.
All the options only give more hope to the publisher as does (D). (C) doesn't.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 19:38
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
Thats right. so it must be C?
so you too do not agree with OA D..

OE:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
'C' :- The fact that the publisher has already received a form of profit from the link of novel and movie supports the soundness of the plan.
'D' :- Although the actress’s high opinion of the novel may add interest in the eyes of the public, it has no direct bearing on the soundness of the publisher’s plan.


Yes, (C) has no bearing on the plan. It must be (C)
We can easily argue that option (A) - 'The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.' may also add interest in the eyes of the public; it has no direct bearing on the soundness of the publisher’s plan. Similarly, (B) and (E) talk about other books and movies. We don't know whether this book will follow that precedent.
All the options only give more hope to the publisher as does (D). (C) doesn't.


This is GMAT Club verbal test question.
Verbal forum mods? GC team members? need to update OA and OE for this?
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Chat Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 521
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 57

Premium Member
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 08:36
Vips0000 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
Thats right. so it must be C?
so you too do not agree with OA D..

OE:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
'C' :- The fact that the publisher has already received a form of profit from the link of novel and movie supports the soundness of the plan.
'D' :- Although the actress’s high opinion of the novel may add interest in the eyes of the public, it has no direct bearing on the soundness of the publisher’s plan.


Yes, (C) has no bearing on the plan. It must be (C)
We can easily argue that option (A) - 'The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.' may also add interest in the eyes of the public; it has no direct bearing on the soundness of the publisher’s plan. Similarly, (B) and (E) talk about other books and movies. We don't know whether this book will follow that precedent.
All the options only give more hope to the publisher as does (D). (C) doesn't.


This is GMAT Club verbal test question.
Verbal forum mods? GC team members? need to update OA and OE for this?


This question has been hotly debated in the past (a-major-film-studio-announced-the-release-date-of-a-movie-81977.html?fl=similar) and no solid conclusion has come as of yet (that I know of). That said, I agree with Karishma that the correct answer is C - my reasoning was very similar.
_________________

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 09:03
hamm0 wrote:
This question has been hotly debated in the past (a-major-film-studio-announced-the-release-date-of-a-movie-81977.html?fl=similar) and no solid conclusion has come as of yet (that I know of). That said, I agree with Karishma that the correct answer is C - my reasoning was very similar.


Great! so my doubt that OA is incorrect is further strengthened.
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2009
Posts: 236
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2014, 13:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
Guys, I also agree that it is C rather than D. In D, if the actress speaks about her love of the novel, then she attributes to the novel's future sales! So it can't be D!!!
_________________

Consider giving Kudos if you like the post.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2014
Posts: 20
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.54
WE: Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 52

Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2014, 20:17
I choose C as well and it said I'm wrong??
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 278
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '17
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 237

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2014, 21:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
If the answer is debatable, it should not be on the test.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2014
Posts: 73
Schools: LBS '17 (WL)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2014, 11:02
b2bt wrote:
If the answer is debatable, it should not be on the test.


its "madness", has to be C. Mad.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Posts: 54
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 151

Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2014, 13:40
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
True oa pllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

What is the publisher's plan? Print a new edition - make it hit the stands the week the movie premieres.

What doesn't support the success of the plan?

(C)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
How will this make his plan successful? He received some money when he sold the production rights to the film studio. It's all done and dusted. It has nothing to do with his plan of printing and selling the book.

(D)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
This helps his plan. This will create more hype for the novel. He will possibly sell more books. Whether it will actually help or not, we don't know. It certainly does support the plan of cashing in on the success of the movie.
_________________
Karishma


Hi Karishma,

I am a bit confuse with ur reasoning to claim "d" answer for this question because this question is except question - so if actress comment will bring some publicity to the novel it will be helpful in capitalizing the success so how come it is answering except question.

If i am not wrong here don't we have to choose a answer choose which will not help publisher to capitalize his success.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 65

Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2015, 22:43
Its straightaway C. Please edit the official answer.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2014
Posts: 94
Location: India
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 83

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2015, 02:23
Even I agree that option C is the correct answer .
Option D can help the publisher in sales because movie is adapted from the novel And actress has expressed her interest in novels publicly .

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
_________________

"Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached"

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1174
Followers: 311

Kudos [?]: 978 [0], given: 4

Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2015, 11:58
Expert's post
I've commented already on this question in a different thread, and I completely agree with Karishma here - if you picked C for this question, you picked the right answer, so don't worry about what the OA says.
_________________

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 416
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 2

Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2015, 23:05
Expert's post
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.
The publisher intends to use the anticipated success of the film to promote the new book edition.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

(A) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.This stamp would promote the book (and the movie).
(B)Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released. Provides evidence for the publisher's prediction.
(C)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio. The film is beneficial to the publisher, but not necessarily to the novel.
(D)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.This would promote the novel.
(E)Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked. Provides evidence for the publisher's prediction.
_________________

Cassandra Wolff
Customer Support | Optimus Prep
 
Facebook Linkedin Youtube Twitter slideshare Google+
 

Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2015, 23:05
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 A major film studio announced the release date of a movie nitesh108 17 06 Dec 2010, 13:39
9 A major film studio announced the release date of a movie ritula 65 08 Oct 2008, 18:12
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie ugimba 8 22 Jan 2009, 11:00
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie billyjeans 7 29 Dec 2008, 01:59
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie ssandeepan 12 16 Sep 2008, 17:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.