Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 05:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 19:06
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

69% (01:41) correct 30% (00:45) wrong based on 256 sessions
A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought.

A. claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought
B. claims suggests that the economy might not be so weak as some analysts have previously thought
C. claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as have been previously thought by some analysts
D. claims, suggesting about the economy that it might not be so weak as previously thought by some analysts
E. claims, suggesting the economy might not be as weak as previously thought to be by some analysts
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 23 Jul 2013, 03:23, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 19:17
ak_idc wrote:
"suggest" is necessary.

A seems fine.

Though Both A and C are okay.

C is little wordy and passive.

So A is the right one
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - A Surge in New Home Sales [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 19:17
KC wrote:
A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought.

A. claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought
B. claims suggests that the economy might not be so weak as some analysts have previously thought
C. claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as have been previously thought by some analysts
D. claims, suggesting about the economy that it might not be so weak as previously thought by some analysts
E. claims, suggesting the economy might not be as weak as previously thought to be by some analysts

A looks good

Highlighted parts are incorrect or not appropriate in the other options.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2006, 23:00
Juaz wrote:
Should be A. C has SVA problem.

Assuming the A in SVA means "active," I agree. Otherwise the S-V agreement is fine in both A and C.

Clearly (A)
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [3] , given: 4

Re: SC - A Surge in New Home Sales [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 08:35
This post received
KUDOS
In my view C is wrong because of two points:
A) Subject/Verb:
Economy is singular and would need "has" i.e "economy.....as has been previously thought by some analysts"

B)Verb Tense:
Previously thought by some analysis:
Here we are using "Present Perfect Tense". But the word previously clearly shows that this notion was held in the past and is no more valid. So "Present Perfect Tense" has been incorrectly used here.

Therefore with C wrong because of "two" things, we stick to A as the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - A Surge in New Home Sales [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 08:43
KC wrote:

a surge in ...and a drop in ...---plural..ruling out suggests
Ruling out D and E as that is required.
have been is wrong as it should be simple past tense. and C is also in passive mood.

So A is Correct
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 29 [3] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 20:07
This post received
KUDOS
The answer to this question must be A:

A. This sentence has correct subject verb agreement. It also presents the "that..." clause in active voice.

B. The plural subject "a surge and a drop" does not agree with the singular verb suggests.

C. The use of the plural verb "have been" does not agree with the singular subject "the economy."

D. The verb-ing modifier after a comma should modify the preceding clause. However, the first part of this answer choice isn't even a clause because it does not contain a verb. So the use of the verb-ing modifier is incorrect in this case. Also, since the first part of the sentence isn't a clause, this entire sentence is actually a fragment.

E. Same as D - incorrect usage of verb-ing modifier and sentence fragment. In addition it uses the passive voice, which is unnecessary.
Intern
Intern
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 21:00
My bet is on 'A'...

Let us know the right answer....

Kudos if you like the post!!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 23:15
Here the correct answer is A. The phrase "A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims" should be followed by a plural verb due to the word "and". So it has to be "suggest" rather than "suggests". A and C are close but select A as C is wordy.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 21:45
This post received
KUDOS
Everyone here has given wrong reason for eliminating C, "have" is wrong because it refers "to an idea" that was thought by analysts. for same reason following sentence is incorrect A rise in robberies suggests that the gangs might not be as weak as have been previously thought by some politicians.

Also one more issue is that we do not require PRESENT PERFECT as analysts are not thinking anymore - they thought - Checkout awesome explanation http://www.beatthegmat.com/sc-home-sale ... tml#241645
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 01:40
KC wrote:

A surge and a drop requires a plural verb. Hence, B is out.
D and E are sentence fragments.
C is also out because "have been thought" is not paired with a subject. Also, simple past tense is preferred.

Impossible is nothing to God.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 46

Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 00:56
KC wrote:

In command subjunctive such as demand ,dictate mandate,suggest urge.........verb should in singular present form.According to manhattan sc correction.Example : We suggest that he be promoted

Here in option (A)claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought -the use of might not be is right?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 17

Premium Member
Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 01:07
Quote:
In command subjunctive such as demand ,dictate mandate,suggest urge.........verb should in singular present form.According to manhattan sc correction.Example : We suggest that he be promoted

this is not correct !!
we propose that the school board disband
not disbands

Quote:
Here in option (A)claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought -the use of might not be is right?

yes it is correct !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 01:41
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

this is not correct !!
we propose that the school board disband
not disbands
here suggest is command subjunctive.so how can the use of "claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously though " be right.Can u explain me if i am wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 01:49
Quote:
here suggest is command subjunctive.so how can the use of "claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously though " be right.Can u explain me if i am wrong?

u r making a faulty interpretation .here suggest is not command subjunctive .
i suggest that this be done ------> this is command subjunctive

in this sentence A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims is not suggesting that something ought to be done .all it is doing is it is telling us some kind of a trend ....plz read out the sentence of command subjunctive that i have written and read this one out ..u will get what i am trying to convey
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 02:44
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

u r making a faulty interpretation .here suggest is not command subjunctive .
i suggest that this be done ------> this is command subjunctive

in this sentence A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims is not suggesting that something ought to be done .all it is doing is it is telling us some kind of a trend ....plz read out the sentence of command subjunctive that i have written and read this one out ..u will get what i am trying to convey

Hi
thanks .Now i have understood where i was wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 02:49
Quote:
Hi
thanks .Now i have understood where i was wrong.

glad it helped !!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 03:10
Hey All,

OG 13 SC - q16

A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previouslythought.

My Query

in the part "as weak as some analysts previously thought" - I am not clear about the structure of the comparison weak vs some analysts. Would be obliged if somebody could explain the structure.

Thank you

Last edited by Zarrolou on 23 Jul 2013, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 99

Kudos [?]: 1059 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 03:23
antonyvp2001 wrote:
Hey All,

OG 13 SC - q16

A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previouslythought.

My Query

in the part "as weak as some analysts previously thought" - I am not clear about the structure of the comparison weak vs some analysts. Would be obliged if somebody could explain the structure.

Thank you

The the comparison is not
"the economy might not be as weak as some analysts"<== this would not make sense
the comparison is
"the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought "<== correct, and it means that the analysts predicted a weaker economy than the current one.

Hope it's clear

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 03:27
antonyvp2001 wrote:
Hey All,

OG 13 SC - q16

My Query

Thank you

comparison is:

economy might not be as weak as the economy previously thought by some anslysts
these type of structure is correct .
let me know if you still have a doubt.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2013, 03:27