GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 04:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Mar 2018, 19:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (00:50) correct 26% (00:56) wrong based on 4012 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 2015

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 16
Page: 674

A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought.

(A) claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought

(B) claims suggests that the economy might not be so weak as some analysts have previously thought

(C) claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as have been previously thought by some analysts

(D) claims, suggesting about the economy that it might not be so weak as previously thought by some analysts

(E) claims, suggesting the economy might not be as weak as previously thought to be by some analysts

Originally posted by DevilDoggNC on 08 Jun 2011, 12:34.
Last edited by hazelnut on 15 Mar 2018, 19:02, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2016, 10:50
gomax1199 wrote:
Thank you so much for your reply regarding question 1, it is an eye opener for me.
Regarding question 2, since you agree with the necessity of including "was" in the sentence to make it correct - ...not as week as was thought by analysts - , you may think this one is wrong :... not as weak as thought by analysts.

However, I see a lot of sentences with this structure, especially this one: "It is not as good as expected by them". I believe this sentence is grammatically correct, even though there is not "was" in it. Can you kindly shed light on this matter?

Again, thank you very much for your answer.

No this sentence is wrong as well for the same reason.
In active voice: It is not as good as they expected.
In passive voice: It is not as good as WAS expected by them.

Quote:
But I see the sentence "It is not as good as expected by..." everywhere. Having tried googling it, I see everybody use it that way.

The fact that everybody everywhere uses a construction in some particular way is not really a valid reasoning to determine whether that usage is correct. In fact such usages could act as traps in SC questions. If you are not convinced with the reasoning stated in the previous post then please post specifically why you differ in opinion.

[Another example of faulty construction that we see frequently is "less than 10 items" at the express counters at shopping malls. The frequent usage does not make this phrase correct - the correct usage is "fewer than 10 items". ("Less" is used for uncountable nouns, whereas "fewer" for countable.)]

Quote:
I am confused if "A surge in new homes..........claims" act as a phrase or juat a noun......since phrase requires a singular verb

Here "claims" is a noun - the main verb is "suggest", which is plural - the main subject for this verb is the noun phrase "A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims".
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2012, 21:07
The answer to this question must be A:

A. This sentence has correct subject verb agreement. It also presents the "that..." clause in active voice.

B. The plural subject "a surge and a drop" does not agree with the singular verb suggests.

C. The use of the plural verb "have been" does not agree with the singular subject "the economy."

D. The verb-ing modifier after a comma should modify the preceding clause. However, the first part of this answer choice isn't even a clause because it does not contain a verb. So the use of the verb-ing modifier is incorrect in this case. Also, since the first part of the sentence isn't a clause, this entire sentence is actually a fragment.

E. Same as D - incorrect usage of verb-ing modifier and sentence fragment. In addition it uses the passive voice, which is unnecessary.

Quote:
A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought.

A. claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought
B. claims suggests that the economy might not be so weak as some analysts have previously thought
C. claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as have been previously thought by some analysts
D. claims, suggesting about the economy that it might not be so weak as previously thought by some analysts
E. claims, suggesting the economy might not be as weak as previously thought to be by some analysts

Highlighted parts are incorrect or not appropriate in the other options.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2012, 07:07
I am quoting this from OG12

Quote:

(A) claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought
(B) claims suggests that the economy might not be so weak as some analysts have previously thought
(C) claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as have been previously thought by some analysts
(D) claims, suggesting about the economy that it might not be so weak as previously thought by some analysts
(E) claims, suggesting the economy might not be as weak as previously thought to be by some analysts

Agreement; Grammatical construction

The plural subject of this sentence (surge and drop) requires a plural verb, suggest. Th e object of this verb, the clause beginning with that, should be presented in as clear and direct a manner as possible.

1. Correct. The plural subject is matched with a plural verb.

2. The singular verb suggests does not match the plural subject of the sentence.

3. The sentence offers no plural subject to fit the passive verb have been thought.

4. This construction is awkward, wordy, and imprecise; it also lacks a main verb; there is no reason to use passive voice, and suggesting about the economy that it might … introduces extra words that contribute nothing to the meaning of this sentence fragment.

5. The passive construction makes this unnecessarily wordy; the lack of a main verb makes this a sentence fragment.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2013, 02:57
The subject is plural here because of the use of 'and'. so let us keep A and C. Eliminate D and E because the sentences seem to be fragment.

Because, in D and E there are two subjects 'surge' and 'drop' and a sentence should have a verb that makes sense with the subject.

Now between A and D-
for me the use of 'as have been previously thought' changes the voice and structure of the sentence. So the best ans is A

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2013, 21:15
Between A and C
In A, looks like 'as weak as' is modifying how 'Analyst's thought'.
C corrects that err by comparing economy that is 'being suggested' to the one 'previously thought'.As the emphasis here is on object and not on the subject so passive voice is warranted here.

Request experts to please correct if I missed anything above.
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2013, 02:51
himapm1l wrote:
Between A and C
In A, looks like 'as weak as' is modifying how 'Analyst's thought'.
C corrects that err by comparing economy that is 'being suggested' to the one 'previously thought'.As the emphasis here is on object and not on the subject so passive voice is warranted here.

Request experts to please correct if I missed anything above.

The phrase "as weak as" is used in answer A correctly, since it refers to the whole clause "as some analysts previously thought." So we are comparing two clauses. Answer C is grammatically incorrect because the subject of the verb "have been previously thought" is missing.

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmattutor
(866) 292-0660

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 01:16
The idiom is "as X as Y," but this is not a comparison in the traditional sense. It's really a way of clarifying extent. The economy may be weak, but not as low as the analysts' earlier opinion would indicate. We aren't comparing the clauses "The economy might not be [as] weak" and "some analysts thought."

So, could we say "thought to be"? In short, no--that doesn't convey a clear meaning. You may be thinking of "though it to be." That would work, but the excess words aren't really needed. The shorter version is a very common English construction:

The guests were earlier than I expected.
The food was spicier than I wanted.
The experiment has produced more startling results than anyone could have predicted.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 16:08
Please kindly help!

I'm having a headache with this question, so expert please help me to sort out the 2 questions below:

1. Regarding the option "as weak as analyst previously thought". This structure is very clear. I can say it is a short form of: The economy is not as weak as analysts previously thought <It was>.

However, regarding the phrase "as previously thought by analyst", what was thought by analyst here? Is it a "virtual idea" like the experts in beatthegmat and magoosh said or "the economy" like some replies from experts above?

If it is "the economy", how can we recover the long, full form of the sentence? Is it "the economy is not as weak as the economy, which was thought by analyst", which I think grammatically incorrect because we can not say that "the economy was thought by analyst"or in active form "analyst thought the economy". Should it be " As previously thought about by analyst" or "as previously thought to be by analyst", so that when we recover the full clause, it is more natural?. Don't mention about wordiness or something, I just want to find the grammar structure here.

If it is a virtual "idea", then the full clause is "the economy is not as weak as the idea, which was previously thought by analysts". The sentence is now very awkward.

2. In beatgmat forum, the expert said we need to include "was" to the sentence to make it a correct passive form (as was previously thought by analyst). I disagree because it's unnecessary to have "was" in the sentence. Am I wrong?
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 11:17
gomax1199 wrote:
Please kindly help!

I'm having a headache with this question, so expert please help me to sort out the 2 questions below:

1. Regarding the option "as weak as analyst previously thought". This structure is very clear. I can say it is a short form of: The economy is not as weak as analysts previously thought <It was>.

However, regarding the phrase "as previously thought by analyst", what was thought by analyst here? Is it a "virtual idea" like the experts in beatthegmat and magoosh said or "the economy" like some replies from experts above?

If it is "the economy", how can we recover the long, full form of the sentence? Is it "the economy is not as weak as the economy, which was thought by analyst", which I think grammatically incorrect because we can not say that "the economy was thought by analyst"or in active form "analyst thought the economy". Should it be " As previously thought about by analyst" or "as previously thought to be by analyst", so that when we recover the full clause, it is more natural?. Don't mention about wordiness or something, I just want to find the grammar structure here.

If it is a virtual "idea", then the full clause is "the economy is not as weak as the idea, which was previously thought by analysts". The sentence is now very awkward.

2. In beatgmat forum, the expert said we need to include "was" to the sentence to make it a correct passive form (as was previously thought by analyst). I disagree because it's unnecessary to have "was" in the sentence. Am I wrong?

As for your question 2, the expert's explanation is just superb - she explains perfectly why the "was" is required.

As for your question 1, consider the following:

The economy is not as weak as <it>was previously thought by the analysts. (1)

This sentence is the same as the the following except that the second clause has been made into passive:
The economy is not as weak as the analysts previously thought <it was>. (2)

The confusion arises because in the passive form (1) "it" no longer represents "economy" (as in active form (2)), but becomes placeholder "it".

It was thought by the analysts that the economy was weak. Here "it" acts as a placeholder for the whole clause that the economy was weak.

So in (1), you may think of the omitted "it" as the placeholder "it" rather than the pronoun for "economy":

You construction seems awkward because such passive voices cannot be constructed without a placeholder:
That the economy was weak was thought by the analysts...... this is awkward and hence the placeholder is used.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2016, 17:07
Thank you so much for your reply regarding question 1, it is an eye opener for me.
Regarding question 2, since you agree with the necessity of including "was" in the sentence to make it correct - ...not as week as was thought by analysts - , you may think this one is wrong :... not as weak as thought by analysts.

However, I see a lot of sentences with this structure, especially this one: "It is not as good as expected by them". I believe this sentence is grammatically correct, even though there is not "was" in it. Can you kindly shed light on this matter?

Again, thank you very much for your answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 21:11
Hi Expert,

I read your posts for this question and understood the sentence well. Thanks

I understand that the usage of have been in choice C is incorrect.

choice C-- claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as have been previously thought by some analysts

Just wanted to clear one doubt on eclipses.

If i write the eclipses, will the sentence be

claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as it<economy> have been previously thought by some analysts

or

claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as it<economy> might have been previously thought by some analysts

How to determine which is the intended one?
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 01:51
AR15J wrote:
Hi Expert,

I read your posts for this question and understood the sentence well. Thanks

I understand that the usage of have been in choice C is incorrect.

choice C-- claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as have been previously thought by some analysts

Just wanted to clear one doubt on eclipses.

If i write the eclipses, will the sentence be

claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as it<economy> have been previously thought by some analysts

or

claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as it<economy> might have been previously thought by some analysts

How to determine which is the intended one?

It should be the one highlighted above. Notice when you say "might have been previously thought", it changes the meaning. It implies They might have thought.

So, we are not sure whether they actually thought about it.

As per the original meaning, we must say they thought something (Say X) previously but now it might be Y such that Y<X.

I hope this makes sense.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V31
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 07:44
"A surge and a drop" are plural?
I need an expert view on this.

What is given: A surge {in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims} suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought.

What I gathered: A surge **** suggests that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought.

Please help with this.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 02:15
amitpandey25, if you have a compound subject (X and Y), you can never cut out one of the items. The subject is "a surge and a drop," and not just "a surge." As sasyaharry suggests, we can't say that the surge was in "home sales and a drop," so there's no choice but to include "a drop" in the subject. At this point, we can only have a singular verb if the subject is somehow interpreted as singular. This works if the subject can reasonably be interpreted as one thing ("Research and development for the new plane was expensive"), but this is very rare.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 09:15
I got the answer right but wanted to understand about the word "claims" here. Is it not a verb?
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 13:41
santro789 wrote:
I got the answer right but wanted to understand about the word "claims" here. Is it not a verb?

Hello santro789,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

(Subjects = blue, Verbs = green)

The word claims is NOT a verb in this sentence. It acts as a plural noun entity.

It will be grammatically incorrect to place two verbs - claims and suggest - one after the other.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 08:58
okdongdong wrote:

A. claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought
B. claims suggests that the economy might not be so weak as some analysts have previously thought - plural verb "suggest" is needed for plural noun "A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims"
C. claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as have been previously thought by some analysts
D. claims, suggesting about the economy that it might not be so weak as previously thought by some analysts fragment and also so week as is wrong idiom
E. claims, suggesting the economy might not be as weak as previously thought to be by some analysts fragment

I went through all the explanations and still not clear on why correct choice is A and not C.
C -
1.Some folks suggested that as weak as compares two clauses and thus 2nd clause " have been previously....." is missing subject
2.Some said that have been is the wrong verb tense as previously is given so it must be past tense only.

Can some expert please help clarify my doubts on why C is actually wrong and why A is correct?

Thanks,
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 15:33
lakshya wrote:

I went through all the explanations and still not clear on why correct choice is A and not C.
C -
1.Some folks suggested that as weak as compares two clauses and thus 2nd clause " have been previously....." is missing subject
2.Some said that have been is the wrong verb tense as previously is given so it must be past tense only.

Can some expert please help clarify my doubts on why C is actually wrong and why A is correct?

Thanks,

Hello lakshya,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Choice A very succinctly presents the intended meaning through correct grammar.

Take a close look at Choice C. It uses the adverb previously. This word is used for an event that has taken place in the past. So the action that has already taken place in past, how can we use present perfect tense for that action?

Also active voice construction in Choice A is mush better than passive voice construction in Choice C as active voice constructions are precise (direct)and concise. Active voice structures present the meaning in a better way than passive voice structures.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 00:00
FN wrote:
will go with B....

a drop in weekly unemployment claims...sounds singular because of "a"...so we need suggests..

It has and. Even though they use a, the verb is for an entire subject

Not Giving UP! Kudos if you like the question :)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims &nbs [#permalink] 09 Dec 2017, 00:00

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap