Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [1]
Given Kudos: 138
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [2]
Re: Absolute Phrase versus Run-on sentence versus Meaningless Clause [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kassim wrote:
Hello Mike,

Can you help me with the below question?

with-surface-temperatures-estimated-at-minus-230-degrees-142362.html

I'm finding it hard to understand why the below is not a full clause. How do I know that "thought to be" is not a verb?

its 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom.

Thank you.

Dear kassim,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

The word "thought" could be the past tense or the past participle of the verb "to think." If it is past tense, then it would be active and the subject would have to be something capable to doing the thinking. That's clearly not the case here.

Because it is not used as a past tense form, it must be a past participle. A present or past participle NEVER acts as a verb by itself. A participle needs an auxiliary verb to act as a full verb:
is thought
has been thought
had been thought

Those are full verb. Without the auxiliary verbs, a participle by itself can only be a modifier. Thus, "thought" has to be a noun modifier.

That means that this entire phrase is of the form [noun] + [noun modifier], which is the anatomy of an absolute phrase.
[its 60 square miles of water] [thought to be frozen from top to bottom]
Absolute phrases never appear in casual colloquial sources; they are slightly more frequent in sophisticated sources. That's why developing a habit of sophisticated reading is so important for SC success.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28
Send PM
Re: Absolute Phrase versus Run-on sentence versus Meaningless Clause [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
kassim wrote:
Hello Mike,

I'm finding it hard to understand why the below is not a full clause. How do I know that "thought to be" is not a verb?

Thank you.

Dear kassim,

The word "thought" could be the past tense or the past participle of the verb "to think." If it is past tense, then it would be active and the subject would have to be something capable to doing the thinking. That's clearly not the case here.

Because it is not used as a past tense form, it must be a past participle. A present or past participle NEVER acts as a verb by itself. A participle needs an auxiliary verb to act as a full verb:
is thought
has been thought
had been thought

Those are full verb. Without the auxiliary verbs, a participle by itself can only be a modifier. Thus, "thought" has to be a noun modifier.

That means that this entire phrase is of the form [noun] + [noun modifier], which is the anatomy of an absolute phrase.
Absolute phrases never appear in casual colloquial sources; they are slightly more frequent in sophisticated sources. That's why developing a habit of sophisticated reading is so important for SC success.

Yes it does.

Miles cannot think.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I learned a lot from your videos and still learning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [0]
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
kassim wrote:
Hello Mike,

Thank you.

Dear kassim,

is thought
has been thought
had been thought

You are amazing. Thank you very much for your incredible explanations.

Let me rephrase my question. Do you think that the Gmat test could test both lack of preposition or absolute/apposite phrase on the same underlined portion?

I say that because my strategy follows you videos from Magoosh (Yeah! I am an user of them too!), that suggests to go first for the low-hanging fruit. Then, the first checking is Prounouns, specially their lackage. This strategy leads me to eliminate the apposite phrases then,opting for the least worse option and then the disaster is set.

Do you think that the approach should be different?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
felippemed wrote:
You are amazing. Thank you very much for your incredible explanations.

Let me rephrase my question. Do you think that the Gmat test could test both lack of preposition or absolute/apposite phrase on the same underlined portion?

I say that because my strategy follows you videos from Magoosh (Yeah! I am an user of them too!), that suggests to go first for the low-hanging fruit. Then, the first checking is Prounouns, specially their lackage. This strategy leads me to eliminate the apposite phrases then,opting for the least worse option and then the disaster is set.

Do you think that the approach should be different?

Dear felippemed,

Could the GMAT test a lack of preposition and absolute and appositive and everything else all in one underlined section? Of course! There is absolutely no combination of words or grammatical structures that the GMAT wouldn't test! The folks who write the GMAT specialize in handing us what we weren't expecting!

Yes, by all means eliminate low-hanging fruit, but have HIGH standards for what counts as "low-hanging fruit"! If something is an obvious mistake, then eliminate it, but always be suspicious that the GMAT is handing you some combination that you haven't seen before.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you very very much Mike!

I hope that one day all the goodness come back to you as a payback for this wonderful donation!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts