GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 23:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

January 20, 2019

January 20, 2019

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Absolute Phrase versus Run-on sentence versus Meaningless Clause

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Absolute Phrase versus Run-on sentence versus Meaningless Clause  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 07:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 3 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hello Everyone, :)

Recently, I got several wrong answers in hard SC questions; they were all involving Absolute Phrases.

I have always confused the usage of preposition versus the meaning keeping that I have sorted out somehow. But now, this "Absolute Phrases" made me feel like I know nothing.

See below a few examples from our beloved Gmatclub website.

with-surface-temperatures-estimated-at-minus-230-degrees-143219.html

However, my question remains:

When do I consider a phrase without preposition and different meaning an "Absolute Phrase"?

If someone could refer a suitable material or, explain to me how to tackle this issue that would be great!

I hope this is also someone else's curiosity.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Absolute Phrase versus Run-on sentence versus Meaningless Clause  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 14:01
felippemed wrote:

Recently, I got several wrong answers in hard SC questions; they were all involving Absolute Phrases.

I have always confused the usage of preposition versus the meaning keeping that I have sorted out somehow. But now, this "Absolute Phrases" made me feel like I know nothing.

When do I consider a phrase without preposition and different meaning an "Absolute Phrase"?

If someone could refer a suitable material or, explain to me how to tackle this issue that would be great!

Dear felippemed
I'm happy to respond! :-) Yes, my friend, absolute phrases are tricky. Here's a blog I wrote, with two SC practice questions:
Absolute Phrases on the GMAT
Here's one of my friend Kevin's famous GMAT Tuesday videos, about absolute phrases:
GMAT Tuesdays with Kevin: Absolute Phrases
Here's another GMAT Tuesday about absolute vs. appositive phrases:
GMAT Tuesdays: Sentence Correction — Absolute vs Appositive Phrases
Those are a few resources. Of course, the MGMAT book on SC is also superb.

If you have any further question about the concept or about individual SC problems, please let me know!

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Absolute Phrase versus Run-on sentence versus Meaningless Clause  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 14:21
mikemcgarry wrote:
felippemed wrote:

Dear felippemed
I'm happy to respond! :-) Yes, my friend, absolute phrases are tricky. Here's a blog I wrote, with two SC practice questions:
Absolute Phrases on the GMAT
Here's one of my friend Kevin's famous GMAT Tuesday videos, about absolute phrases:
GMAT Tuesdays with Kevin: Absolute Phrases
Here's another GMAT Tuesday about absolute vs. appositive phrases:
GMAT Tuesdays: Sentence Correction — Absolute vs Appositive Phrases
Those are a few resources. Of course, the MGMAT book on SC is also superb.

If you have any further question about the concept or about individual SC problems, please let me know!

Hello Mike,

Can you help me with the below question?

with-surface-temperatures-estimated-at-minus-230-degrees-142362.html

I'm finding it hard to understand why the below is not a full clause. How do I know that "thought to be" is not a verb?

its 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom.

Thank you.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Absolute Phrase versus Run-on sentence versus Meaningless Clause  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 14:33
kassim wrote:
Hello Mike,

I'm finding it hard to understand why the below is not a full clause. How do I know that "thought to be" is not a verb?

Thank you.

Dear kassim,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

The word "thought" could be the past tense or the past participle of the verb "to think." If it is past tense, then it would be active and the subject would have to be something capable to doing the thinking. That's clearly not the case here.

Because it is not used as a past tense form, it must be a past participle. A present or past participle NEVER acts as a verb by itself. A participle needs an auxiliary verb to act as a full verb:
is thought
has been thought
had been thought

Those are full verb. Without the auxiliary verbs, a participle by itself can only be a modifier. Thus, "thought" has to be a noun modifier.

That means that this entire phrase is of the form [noun] + [noun modifier], which is the anatomy of an absolute phrase.
[its 60 square miles of water] [thought to be frozen from top to bottom]
Absolute phrases never appear in casual colloquial sources; they are slightly more frequent in sophisticated sources. That's why developing a habit of sophisticated reading is so important for SC success.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 14:41
mikemcgarry wrote:
kassim wrote:
Hello Mike,

Thank you.

Dear kassim,

The word "thought" could be the past tense or the past participle of the verb "to think." If it is past tense, then it would be active and the subject would have to be something capable to doing the thinking. That's clearly not the case here.

Because it is not used as a past tense form, it must be a past participle. A present or past participle NEVER acts as a verb by itself. A participle needs an auxiliary verb to act as a full verb:
is thought
has been thought
had been thought

Those are full verb. Without the auxiliary verbs, a participle by itself can only be a modifier. Thus, "thought" has to be a noun modifier.

That means that this entire phrase is of the form [noun] + [noun modifier], which is the anatomy of an absolute phrase.
Absolute phrases never appear in casual colloquial sources; they are slightly more frequent in sophisticated sources. That's why developing a habit of sophisticated reading is so important for SC success.

Yes it does.

Miles cannot think.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I learned a lot from your videos and still learning.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 05:33
mikemcgarry wrote:
kassim wrote:
Hello Mike,

Thank you.

Dear kassim,

is thought
has been thought
had been thought

You are amazing. Thank you very much for your incredible explanations.

Let me rephrase my question. Do you think that the Gmat test could test both lack of preposition or absolute/apposite phrase on the same underlined portion?

I say that because my strategy follows you videos from Magoosh (Yeah! I am an user of them too!), that suggests to go first for the low-hanging fruit. Then, the first checking is Prounouns, specially their lackage. This strategy leads me to eliminate the apposite phrases then,opting for the least worse option and then the disaster is set.

Do you think that the approach should be different?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 11:26
felippemed wrote:
You are amazing. Thank you very much for your incredible explanations.

Let me rephrase my question. Do you think that the Gmat test could test both lack of preposition or absolute/apposite phrase on the same underlined portion?

I say that because my strategy follows you videos from Magoosh (Yeah! I am an user of them too!), that suggests to go first for the low-hanging fruit. Then, the first checking is Prounouns, specially their lackage. This strategy leads me to eliminate the apposite phrases then,opting for the least worse option and then the disaster is set.

Do you think that the approach should be different?

Dear felippemed,

Could the GMAT test a lack of preposition and absolute and appositive and everything else all in one underlined section? Of course! There is absolutely no combination of words or grammatical structures that the GMAT wouldn't test! The folks who write the GMAT specialize in handing us what we weren't expecting!

Yes, by all means eliminate low-hanging fruit, but have HIGH standards for what counts as "low-hanging fruit"! If something is an obvious mistake, then eliminate it, but always be suspicious that the GMAT is handing you some combination that you haven't seen before.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 05:16
Thank you very very much Mike!

I hope that one day all the goodness come back to you as a payback for this wonderful donation!
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 02:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Absolute Phrase versus Run-on sentence versus Meaningless Clause &nbs [#permalink] 14 May 2018, 02:59

Absolute Phrase versus Run-on sentence versus Meaningless Clause

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap