Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 23:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 13:18
I do agree with riverripper in his earlier post, the number of admitted vs. matriculated doesn't quite add up. With the exception of Wharton, less than a handful of admits chose to not attend the school(s) they were admitted to. One has to wonder, there are quite a few people on here that did apply to multiple top programs and did get into them - is that really correctly reflected in the numbers?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 12

Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 13:24
This post received
KUDOS
Also peculiar:

Total Admits: 340 Total Matriculation: 307

so I take it that means a good 10% of the people that got accepted into what one could arguably call the top group of schools chose not to matriculated and presumably go somewhere else...hmmm....I wish I had that 'dilemma'

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2337

Kudos [?]: 9556 [0], given: 3712

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 14:22
Expert's post
I agree with the suggestions that the matriculation rate should be lower than 90% but these are the best numbers we have from GMAT Club records...

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 38

Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 14:33
Maybe we should do a similar analysis for the upcoming season as well and look for trends. It might be easier to collect all required data if we start now as well. Also maybe restrict it to members with at least 10 posts or something and to the top 6-7 schools only. If we add individual roll call spreadsheets in to one work book it should be easy enough to create a summary sheet that gets updated automatically whenever one of the individual school lists is updated.

GMAT Guide: 10-critical-factors-to-beat-the-gmat-106790.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross '13
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 18:14
why restrict the data to 6-7 schools? the analysis can't be exhaustive, but theres no reason for it to be exclusive, right?

My profile

Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 38

Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 17:57
mba2013 wrote:
why restrict the data to 6-7 schools? the analysis can't be exhaustive, but theres no reason for it to be exclusive, right?

no reason, just more work :lol:

GMAT Guide: 10-critical-factors-to-beat-the-gmat-106790.html

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Manufacturing
WE 2: Analytics

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 01:38
1. do accepted students actively participate in forum discussions?

2. Is it quite possible that a single member got into multiple schools....so it would mean same members pushing the acceptance rate upwards...

as other members have mentioned i would like to see stats around -- participation to conversion...one factor that can be used is Avg posts/convert or avg kudos/convert

also..if same members are getting thru all the mentioned schools then it doesn't represent the correct picture...
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: HLS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 01:51
Regardless all of the applied/admitted/rejected numbers, I really do think that GMATClub helps candidates to perform better on their exam AND write more refined applications.

For the first two months of my studying, I just bought random books from B&N and just went through the pages without a strategy. Score danced around 630 ~ 660.

I got some insight from GMATClub, bought the right material, strategically focused on weak areas, followed suggestions, took GMATClub practice Q's, etc for a month. Score jumped to 750+ :-D Oh and that post on 6.0 AWA strat is magical.

I suppose you can say the first two months laid the foundation for a high score. But I'd argue that GMATClub advice/material really helped me.

Bon voyage to all!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 02:45
This is simply amazing...though i just joined the club..i am really liking it ..it is extremely helpful..and thank you very much gmat club

KUDOS!! :)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 530 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 06:21
I knew !We are the champions! we are the best! 8-)

Great work BB and Dzyubam!

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2337

Kudos [?]: 9556 [0], given: 3712

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 07:51
Expert's post
I think the applicants did all the work - we just tallied up the stats ;)
Good luck this year!!!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 21:13
bb wrote:
Thank you all for comments.
I will try to dig in deeper to see the correlation between participation and admission.

The only comment I have about lurkers is that they are not necessarily out. A lurker may visit the site more often than others and learn more from it than a person with many posts - that's not an exception. I lurk on a few other travel-related forums. Does not mean I don't visit/engage. I just don't feel I can add any value - I am learning....

Hi bb, I am one of the lurkers you mentioned, I have been learning so much about GMAT, business school here in this community. Since I'm so junior here so that I would rather keep quiet, review content that is so valuable.
many thanks to everybody for contribution and time toward this community, I really appreciate it.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE: Law (Law)

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 06:51
This post received
KUDOS
Don't get me wrong, this is an awesome find. But as an exercise in CR, don't we think this might be a spurious relationship? That is, is it that GMAT Club members are more likely to be accepted, or is it that people who are more likely to be accepted tend to be GMAT Club members? I think it's logical to think that people really serious about being a top candidate at a top 10 b-school spend the time to check out forums on the subject, whereas there are a lot of people who throw their app out to HBS but have not spent a competitive amount of time on it, and who do not take the time to see what other people are saying on GMAT Club either. But, again, don't get me wrong, this is an AMAZING forum and does a LOT for people. I like to play devil's advocate...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 17:57
Wow, glad I found this thread, hopefully this can be of use to others who are just joining GMAT Club for Fall 2011 applications.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
GPA: 3.84
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 11:15
No doubt the information on this forum has been extraordinarily useful (I certainly have been lurking around absorbing stuff for some time), but I would also point out self-selection plays a big role, both in the people who are willing to post results and the people who are [strike]obsessed[/strike] driven enough to be constantly on these forums!

One other interesting point about this data is that Booth and Wharton seem to give far more scholarships than anyone else! Hmm...
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 79043

CAT Tests
Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 11:34
Well, to assess the statistical significance of these findings, one needs to consider how representative is GMATclub members' sample - as opposed to the total number of applicants at a given school (usually measuring in the thousands - vs. 100+ GMATclubbers per each).

Also, you need to control for double- and triple-registered members of the community (same person under different nicks).

Interesting - for sure, not so sure how convincing the proposed correlation really is.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2011, 03:23
THE list shows that gmat club is full of talented members who are realistic about their chances of getting into top schools
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 47

Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2011, 05:07
my goodness! perhaps gmatclub should start its own admission test to accept new members!

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate :
I am the captain of my soul.
~ William Ernest Henley

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.6
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 32

Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 05:59
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with those who have said that lurkers can benefit from GMAT club. I have only posted a handful of times, but I have been lurking for almost a year. A big part of the reason I haven't posted much is that I search for topics before posting about them (as is often recommended on message boards), and I usually find an answer to my question.

I may post more often now that I am starting applications, but I think I have already received most of the knowledge/advantage that GMAT club will provide.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q44 V50
GPA: 3.76
WE: Science (Other)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 4

Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 08:05
Very interesting study, thank you! I will say that the numbers could just be a result of correlation, not causation. It could be that capable people who are working hard at their applications are registered on this site just because they are exploring every possible resource that could help them, and that doesn't prove that THIS resource contributed to their later success.

However, I think it would be silly to argue that there isn't some causation in there as well. There is a lot of great advice and hard information here that I have no doubt will help me in my applications. The conclusion that can be drawn is that using the resources of this site increases your chances of getting in where you want to.
Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking?   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2011, 08:05