Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Re: Admission Chances for GMAT Club Members - Shocking? [#permalink]
Maybe we should do a similar analysis for the upcoming season as well and look for trends. It might be easier to collect all required data if we start now as well. Also maybe restrict it to members with at least 10 posts or something and to the top 6-7 schools only. If we add individual roll call spreadsheets in to one work book it should be easy enough to create a summary sheet that gets updated automatically whenever one of the individual school lists is updated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross '13
 Q48  V42
Send PM
why restrict the data to 6-7 schools? the analysis can't be exhaustive, but theres no reason for it to be exclusive, right?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
mba2013 wrote:
why restrict the data to 6-7 schools? the analysis can't be exhaustive, but theres no reason for it to be exclusive, right?

no reason, just more work :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General
 Q48  V36 GMAT 2: 740  Q50  V41
WE 1: Manufacturing
WE 2: Analytics
Send PM
1. do accepted students actively participate in forum discussions?

2. Is it quite possible that a single member got into multiple schools....so it would mean same members pushing the acceptance rate upwards...

as other members have mentioned i would like to see stats around -- participation to conversion...one factor that can be used is Avg posts/convert or avg kudos/convert

also..if same members are getting thru all the mentioned schools then it doesn't represent the correct picture...
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: HLS
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Regardless all of the applied/admitted/rejected numbers, I really do think that GMATClub helps candidates to perform better on their exam AND write more refined applications.

For the first two months of my studying, I just bought random books from B&N and just went through the pages without a strategy. Score danced around 630 ~ 660.

I got some insight from GMATClub, bought the right material, strategically focused on weak areas, followed suggestions, took GMATClub practice Q's, etc for a month. Score jumped to 750+ :-D Oh and that post on 6.0 AWA strat is magical.

I suppose you can say the first two months laid the foundation for a high score. But I'd argue that GMATClub advice/material really helped me.

Bon voyage to all!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
This is simply amazing...though i just joined the club..i am really liking it ..it is extremely helpful..and thank you very much gmat club

KUDOS!! :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
I knew !We are the champions! we are the best! 8-)

Great work BB and Dzyubam!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think the applicants did all the work - we just tallied up the stats ;)
Good luck this year!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
bb wrote:
Thank you all for comments.
I will try to dig in deeper to see the correlation between participation and admission.

The only comment I have about lurkers is that they are not necessarily out. A lurker may visit the site more often than others and learn more from it than a person with many posts - that's not an exception. I lurk on a few other travel-related forums. Does not mean I don't visit/engage. I just don't feel I can add any value - I am learning....

Hi bb, I am one of the lurkers you mentioned, I have been learning so much about GMAT, business school here in this community. Since I'm so junior here so that I would rather keep quiet, review content that is so valuable.
many thanks to everybody for contribution and time toward this community, I really appreciate it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
Kudos
Don't get me wrong, this is an awesome find. But as an exercise in CR, don't we think this might be a spurious relationship? That is, is it that GMAT Club members are more likely to be accepted, or is it that people who are more likely to be accepted tend to be GMAT Club members? I think it's logical to think that people really serious about being a top candidate at a top 10 b-school spend the time to check out forums on the subject, whereas there are a lot of people who throw their app out to HBS but have not spent a competitive amount of time on it, and who do not take the time to see what other people are saying on GMAT Club either. But, again, don't get me wrong, this is an AMAZING forum and does a LOT for people. I like to play devil's advocate...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V48
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Wow, glad I found this thread, hopefully this can be of use to others who are just joining GMAT Club for Fall 2011 applications.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.84
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
No doubt the information on this forum has been extraordinarily useful (I certainly have been lurking around absorbing stuff for some time), but I would also point out self-selection plays a big role, both in the people who are willing to post results and the people who are [strike]obsessed[/strike] driven enough to be constantly on these forums!

One other interesting point about this data is that Booth and Wharton seem to give far more scholarships than anyone else! Hmm...
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Well, to assess the statistical significance of these findings, one needs to consider how representative is GMATclub members' sample - as opposed to the total number of applicants at a given school (usually measuring in the thousands - vs. 100+ GMATclubbers per each).

Also, you need to control for double- and triple-registered members of the community (same person under different nicks).

Interesting - for sure, not so sure how convincing the proposed correlation really is.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q46  V29 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36
Send PM
THE list shows that gmat club is full of talented members who are realistic about their chances of getting into top schools
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
 Q48  V34
Send PM
my goodness! perhaps gmatclub should start its own admission test to accept new members!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with those who have said that lurkers can benefit from GMAT club. I have only posted a handful of times, but I have been lurking for almost a year. A big part of the reason I haven't posted much is that I search for topics before posting about them (as is often recommended on message boards), and I usually find an answer to my question.

I may post more often now that I am starting applications, but I think I have already received most of the knowledge/advantage that GMAT club will provide.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.76
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Very interesting study, thank you! I will say that the numbers could just be a result of correlation, not causation. It could be that capable people who are working hard at their applications are registered on this site just because they are exploring every possible resource that could help them, and that doesn't prove that THIS resource contributed to their later success.

However, I think it would be silly to argue that there isn't some causation in there as well. There is a lot of great advice and hard information here that I have no doubt will help me in my applications. The conclusion that can be drawn is that using the resources of this site increases your chances of getting in where you want to.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3