Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [35]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [1]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Chinese restaurants that offer free jasmine tea with meals do better b [#permalink]
According to me option E is correct....

A--->Argument has nothing to do with differentiating the food which do contain taste enhancer and which do not contain
B--->weakens
C--->if they are getting jasmine tea for free why do they order again, and reason should be headache or MSG but not jasmine tea in order to strengthen the argument
D--->price of the food is out of scope
E--->severe headache immediately after having food means, headache can be due to food
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 09-27-2014
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Chinese restaurants that offer free jasmine tea with meals do better b [#permalink]
egmat wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Here's another CR question from e-GMAT in this week. Hope you enjoy and learn from it :)

Chinese restaurants that offer free jasmine tea with meals do better business than similar Chinese restaurants that do not offer it for free. But since restaurants offering this free-tea are more likely to offer food that doesn’t contain MSG, a substance that is blamed for causing severe headaches in some people after consuming Chinese food, it is the repeat business of MSG allergic patrons that is responsible for higher business and not the attraction of free-tea.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?

A. Although MSG is a taste enhancer, some people cannot make out the difference between the food prepared with and without it.
B. No study has been able to prove a conclusive relation between MSG and the associated headaches with consuming Chinese food.
C. A large majority of the customers of the Chinese restaurants offering free jasmine tea don’t end up requesting jasmine tea.
D. Most restaurants that do not offer free jasmine tea end up not charging less than the usual price for the same when ordered by patrons.
E. Some customers at Chinese restaurants which do not offer free jasmine tea complain of severe headaches right after having a meal at those restaurants

- Neeti :)

My answer is E.

A -> Its a assumption that MSG is a taste enhancer, so not true.
B -> Out of context
C -> Seems to be logical with the real world, but not in GMAT world :-D. I think this is how we fall into traps.
D -> Its only an assumption
E -> It clearly states in the above arguments that "restaurants offering this free-tea are more likely to offer food that doesn’t contain MSG", So this is the one which strengthens the argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
aditya8062 wrote:
C seems best : A large majority of the customers of the Chinese restaurants offering free jasmine tea don’t end up ordering jasmine tea

why C and not E : C is strengthening the argument from the point of view of those restaurants who offer free tea also .also option C uses "A large majority of the customers" .on the other hand E uses "Some customers at Chinese restaurants" ---->now "some" of the customer who suffer of severe headaches right after having a meal at those restaurants which do not offer free jasmine tea might be suffering because of some other reason !! lets say those "some" customers might be suffering of constipation, which might be causing headaches !!

highlighted part seems to be your assumption on the argument.
though it is mentioned in the argument
MSG, a substance that is blamed for causing severe headaches in some people after consuming Chinese food
and I suppose you must of spotted "Some" in the above statement :)
Let's wait for the OA.

Originally posted by DesiGmat on 21 May 2014, 23:07.
Last edited by DesiGmat on 21 May 2014, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
C is the best choice...Although they are offered for free doesn't mean they are served everytime..You have to request for the same
E- It is a common strengthen Q trap...rephrase a premise..It doesn't add value to the question as it is already known that some allergic people suffer from headaches after having food at the restaurant...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
DESI GMAT WROTE:
Quote:
highlighted part seems to be your assumption on the argument.
though it is mentioned in the argument
MSG, a substance that is blamed for causing severe headaches in some people after consuming Chinese food
and I suppose you must of spotted "Some" in the above statement :)
Let's wait for the OA

i am not sure as why u have written this ? but i had just given the explanation of why E is wrong .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
My two cents here:

Conclusion: It is the repeat business of msg allergic business patrons that is responsible for higher business and 'not the attraction of the free tea'.

C option clearly strengthens that the customers are not even ordering the tea and still coming to the restaurant.

So identify the conclusion "not coming for tea" is strengthened by option C....

Hope this makes sense....

Let me know if this deserves a kudos :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
egmat wrote:
gmat2014cat wrote:

A--->Argument has nothing to do with differentiating the food which do contain taste enhancer and which do not contain
B--->weakens
C--->if they are getting jasmine tea for free why do they order again, and reason should be headache or MSG but not jasmine tea in order to strengthen the argument
E--->severe headache immediately after having food means, headache can be due to food

Hi gmat2014cat,

Thank you for sharing your analysis. :)

However, option E is not correct.

Option E says "Some customers at Chinese restaurants which do not offer free jasmine tea complain of severe headaches right after having a meal at those restaurants"

Now, from the passage, we already know that Chinese restaurants which do not offer jasmine tea for free are more likely to offer food containing MSG. Right?

We also know that MSG is a substance that is blamed for causing severe headaches in some people.

Now, look at the above facts from the passage and look at option E.

Does option E provide any new information that can impact the argument? (Remember, one of the key requirements of a strengthener is that it should provide new information compared to the information given in the passage)

The answer is No. If MSG causes severe headaches and food contains MSG, then at least some people are definitely expected to have such headaches due to food (The timing does not matter; what matters is that whether headaches are due to food or not. We already know from the passage that headache can be due to food. So, we don't get any useful info from option E)

Now, let's look at option C:

While rejecting option C, you are assuming that a person doesn't even need to order or request "free items" (for the first time). They are just given to him. It may not be the case. Rather, on the contrary, even if a restaurant offers something for free, it should only give that item to someone who is actually interested in the same and not to everybody. Right?

In that case, if people don't even request or order jasmine tea, it means they are not even interested in jasmine tea. If they are not interested in jasmine tea, it means they didn't come for it. Right?
It indicates that they probably came for MSG-free food.

This is how option C strengthens the argument.

Does it help?

Regards,
Chiranjeev

PS: To avoid a discussion on "dictionary meaning of order", I have replaced the word "order" with "request" in the original question.

---------------------------------------------------------------
thanks egmat
i do have a query for the explanation you have posted
"Now, from the passage, we already know that Chinese restaurants which do not offer jasmine tea for free are more likely to offer food containing MSG. Right?"
How does this come logically from passage ??
If i am not wrong the passage only states that " Restaurants offering free jasmine time don't serve food that has MSG. How come we can extract the information from the stimulus that "restaurants which don't offer free jasmine tea serve food that has MSG ?"

Could you please reply to this query
It would be grateful...

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
‘C’ says requesting not ordering.

gmat2014cat wrote:

B--->weakens

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Chinese restaurants that offer free jasmine tea with meals do better b [#permalink]
It is basically a cause effect type argument. Here, we have two potential causal factors and argument says that only one (No MSG) is the actual cause and not the other (green tea). One way to strengthen the argument is to show that green tea is not responsible for better business. Choice C does this by showing that when there is no cause ( no green tea) there is still the effect ( better business).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.48
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
A B and D can be eliminated by reading the argument precisely . Between C and E note the words LARGE(More profit) and SOME(less profit) . This will give you C.

Kudos PLEASE
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shahidomer77 wrote:
A B and D can be eliminated by reading the argument precisely . Between C and E note the words LARGE(More profit) and SOME(less profit) . This will give you C.

Kudos PLEASE

Even though I can approve to saying LARGE and SOME are important words in the context, the answer choice analysis should not be based on the profit earned. Option C gives a clear indication that jasmine tea is not the major selling point of such restaurants. Option E is talking about the customers who experience headache, not the customers those restaurants have.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
Send PM
so how I did it is that I identified the conclusion and then focused there. The Conclusion says that >> it is the repeat business of MSG allergic patrons that is responsible for higher business and not the attraction of free-tea.
Now since it is strengthen Q, there will only be 1 statement which will strengthen the Conclusion. It is only option C which says that even in free tea restaurants, people dont order jasmine tea, meaning that people dont really get attracted to free tea. and that moves our current belief in the conclusion to a stronger belief. Thats the answer
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts