Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8799 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: And vs Parallelism [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kumvinod wrote:
I have a question on And vs Parallelism

The word AND creates a compound sentence, hence we require a plural verb with And.

Now my question is whether the following sentences are correct or not

The VOIP numbers are configured for Sanjiv, Ravi , and Vinod

The VOIP number is configured for Sanjiv, Ravi , and Vinod

Another doubt : When we use AND as a parallel marker , then all the sentences using AND will have plural verbs only or there can be a sentence using AND as a parallel marker which has a singular verb

As mentioned by the previous posts, you are confusing compound subjects with compound objects. The GMAT will test you on compound subjects, which are plural.

Examples:

Sanjiv, Ravi, and Vinod provide VOIP services. [Compound/plural subject with plural verb]
Sanjiv, with his friends, provides VOIP services. [Singular subject (not plural because 'with his friends' is a modifier) with singular verb]

Regarding your 2nd doubt, 'and' serves as a parallel marker to show when elements of a sentence need to be parallel (or similar). Those elements could be subject nouns (leading to a plural verb), but that is rarely the case. More often the 'and' is creating parallelism between verbs and objects. For example, 'He eats lunch and watches YouTube during his break'. The 'and' creates parallelism between 'eats lunch' and 'watches YouTube'. Those elements are both singular because they refer back to the subject 'he'. The GMAT would test you by altering the structure of those elements: 'He eats lunch and is watching YouTube during his break'. This would not be parallel because the first verb is simple present, 'eats', and the second verb is present progressive, 'is watching'. The tense shift is not parallel.

KW
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
KyleWiddison wrote:
kumvinod wrote:
I have a question on And vs Parallelism

The word AND creates a compound sentence, hence we require a plural verb with And.

Now my question is whether the following sentences are correct or not

The VOIP numbers are configured for Sanjiv, Ravi , and Vinod

The VOIP number is configured for Sanjiv, Ravi , and Vinod

Another doubt : When we use AND as a parallel marker , then all the sentences using AND will have plural verbs only or there can be a sentence using AND as a parallel marker which has a singular verb

As mentioned by the previous posts, you are confusing compound subjects with compound objects. The GMAT will test you on compound subjects, which are plural.

Examples:

Sanjiv, Ravi, and Vinod provide VOIP services. [Compound/plural subject with plural verb]
Sanjiv, with his friends, provides VOIP services. [Singular subject (not plural because 'with his friends' is a modifier) with singular verb]

Regarding your 2nd doubt, 'and' serves as a parallel marker to show when elements of a sentence need to be parallel (or similar). Those elements could be subject nouns (leading to a plural verb), but that is rarely the case. More often the 'and' is creating parallelism between verbs and objects. For example, 'He eats lunch and watches YouTube during his break'. The 'and' creates parallelism between 'eats lunch' and 'watches YouTube'. Those elements are both singular because they refer back to the subject 'he'. The GMAT would test you by altering the structure of those elements: 'He eats lunch and is watching YouTube during his break'. This would not be parallel because the first verb is simple present, 'eats', and the second verb is present progressive, 'is watching'. The tense shift is not parallel.

KW

Here is another question

Maria enjoys swimming, hiking , jogging , and bicycling

( Singular Noun : Maria , Singular verb : enjoys )

I enjoy swimming , hiking , jogging , and bicycling

(Singular Pronoun : I, but plural verb : enjoy ) ?
Can you explain this ??
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I understand the potential for confusion there. The proper verb form for the first person (singular) subject 'I' is the same as that of plural subjects: I go to the store.... We/They go to the store. While that is confusing, you don't have to worry about it because GMAT does not use 'I' in any of the sentences. In general on the GMAT, you can consider conjugated verbs without an 's' as plural verbs - They walk to school - and verbs with an 's' as singular - He walks to school.

Focus on understanding proper agreement for the 3rd person subjects - He, she, they, etc - and you'll be just fine.

KW
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts