Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Apply Now or Wait?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Apply Now or Wait? [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 15:20
Hello. I'm an African who is interested in pursuing an MBA starting fall 2014. This is a brief profile:
-Attended a Little Ivy or to be a bit more specific a "Little Three" liberal arts college in USA
-Majored in Mathematics with a 3.24 GPA. Graduated in 2010.
-740 GMAT (48Q,42V)
-Dropped out of a PhD program in a mathematical science program in 2011(2010-2011).
-Presently working in Big 4 audit in Africa.
-Will have 30 months(2.5 years) full-time professional work experience at matriculation. Worked for 10 months at my country's Central Bank before my present Big 4 job. Will be 27 years old at matriculation.
-Was involved in a few extracurricular activities during college. A few leadership position in college, including being an interviewer during my final year. This made me learn a lot about American educational system. I have not being involved in so much extracurricular since college but was the class at the training school of my current job.
Right now I feel ready to pursue my MBA but I don't know if having just 2.5 years (30 months) before matriculation is okay. I'm also thinking about how this will affect my post-MBA job search. Is dropping out of a PhD going to affect my admission too badly? I'm interested in pursuing a career in finance(not necessarily IB) or consulting. Do international students from second-tier programs like Minnesota, Notre Dame, Wake Forest, etc get jobs after MBA? Even though I'm thinking of schools like Duke, Sloan, Yale, Darden,etc, getting a good scholarship from a second-tier MBA can affect where I end up since an MBA is also a financial decision for me. Please help advise me.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Apply Now or Wait? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 20:30
Expert's post
kastino wrote:
Hello. I'm an African who is interested in pursuing an MBA starting fall 2014. This is a brief profile:
-Attended a Little Ivy or to be a bit more specific a "Little Three" liberal arts college in USA
-Majored in Mathematics with a 3.24 GPA. Graduated in 2010.
-740 GMAT (48Q,42V)
-Dropped out of a PhD program in a mathematical science program in 2011(2010-2011).
-Presently working in Big 4 audit in Africa.
-Will have 30 months(2.5 years) full-time professional work experience at matriculation. Worked for 10 months at my country's Central Bank before my present Big 4 job. Will be 27 years old at matriculation.
-Was involved in a few extracurricular activities during college. A few leadership position in college, including being an interviewer during my final year. This made me learn a lot about American educational system. I have not being involved in so much extracurricular since college but was the class at the training school of my current job.
Right now I feel ready to pursue my MBA but I don't know if having just 2.5 years (30 months) before matriculation is okay. I'm also thinking about how this will affect my post-MBA job search. Is dropping out of a PhD going to affect my admission too badly? I'm interested in pursuing a career in finance(not necessarily IB) or consulting. Do international students from second-tier programs like Minnesota, Notre Dame, Wake Forest, etc get jobs after MBA? Even though I'm thinking of schools like Duke, Sloan, Yale, Darden,etc, getting a good scholarship from a second-tier MBA can affect where I end up since an MBA is also a financial decision for me. Please help advise me.

You are asking an excellent question. A recent GMAC survey of corporate recruiters cited the following stat "2012 grads with at least three years of work experience at matriculation earned $25,000 more annually on average at graduation than those with less experience. "

Now before you instantly decide that you will wait a year, realize that some of those included had -0- or 1 year of work experience, not 2.5. Also realize that employers value employees who have African experience and are culturally fluent in both Africa and the U.S. They also value employees with high GMAT scores and good work experience, and you have both. Also, and I'm sure you realize this, the opportunity cost goes up if you wait longer.

While the safer route for you may be to wait, you are closer enough to that three year mark and your experience is rich enough that I'm not sure I would recommend that you wait. You may want to apply this year, but only to top programs and see if you get into your dream schools, whose brand may protect you a bit from that stat. If you don't get in, apply again a year later and with another year of work experience and apply more widely.

Changing your mind about the Ph.D. will not negatively affect your chances as long as you address the decision and show that you stuck to what you pursued subsequently. It appears you did. People are allowed to change their mind.

If you would like help with your app, -- whenever you apply -- please let me know.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 2

Re: Apply Now or Wait? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 20:48
This post received
KUDOS
Please look at my forum question as well..I am 42 pplying for phd with an MBA froma Top global university in India after 20 years..is it likely that i will be considered favorably for admissions based on my quant capabilities, i expect to repeat a 750-800 on the GMAT (Q59, V 43 IR 10 AWA 6) but recommendations will be from contacts of 20 years ago, with last 5 years in self study and financial analysis business experiments