Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 15:16 It is currently 10 May 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q37 V39
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73140 [1]
Given Kudos: 18943
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Applying r3, need some advice [#permalink]
Hey there,

I agree with what BB has said so I'll jump in on your follow up question. That's an interesting position to be in. On one hand, leading the transition can be great. On the other, suspending your salary isn't. Coupled with what seems a shakier than average story, and you put yourself in a slightly tough position. The direct answer is does leading the transition help? Yes. How much? Well, that's harder to say.

Now - the other thing you haven't really mentioned is...then what? If you apply R1 next fall, the transition will take you through fall. If you get in at that point, you'll still have another year. What's the plan then?

Also, when you say you want a school that has entrepreneurial resources and VC access - why? What are you trying to acccomplish with your MBA?

You seem to have a lot of moving pieces and it's a little difficult to figure out exactly which is moving where. If you'd like to chat about the process, your profile, and what lies ahead, don't hesitate to reach out. We're happy to help!

Bhavik
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Specific need would be a lot of the core cirriculum at most schools. Accounting, Human capital management, organizational structures and strategies. I have experience, and raw talent, but what I want out of an MBA is more polish and structure. The idea of going through the start up process under professorial supervision or advice, while developing my fundamental business knowledge seems like a useful way of spending the next few years. If I set out to start a new business now, I may make some of the mistakes or inefficient decisions that I have made (knowingly or not) in the past.
Send PM
Hi David,

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread - totally on me! I think what you've listed as your "why MBA" is both a) logical and b) probably a little too...structured. I agree that a strong foundation is great and core curriculum can be a great way to do that BUT...a lot of that can be learned outside of the classroom too. So I'd recommend a little more introspection and caution using this part of your reasoning. Figure out exactly what you're trying to say here.

The far more valuable components are the resources on the periphery. The mentorship, networking, and guidance will be invaluable. Also, just having a couple of years to focus on your venture will be a mini-accelerator in and of itself. However, keep in mind, you're still going to make mistakes. They might not be the same mistakes as you would have made on your own, but they'll be just as frequent and just as significant. It's important you're honest with yourself and the adcom about that. Think about it this way - if getting an MBA meant you didn't make start up mistakes, well, then you'd have the top programs just churning out new companies, right?

Let me know your thoughts!

Bhavik
Intern
Intern
Send PM
All very good points.

So far in my essays, I have hit on everything you have said. Core curriculum/foundation, networking, mentors, inspiration from cohorts etc. All of which is true. I also mention that if I had to apply in the fall, in the interim I would start another business, but would rather get the MBA first to eliminate the foundation-type mistakes. Of course mistakes will happen, but eliminating the basic ones is still important.

So far I got invited to interview at Ross and Kenan-Flagler. Though UNC is open interview, so that isn't too indicative! VERY happy about Ross though.
Send PM
That's fantastic and congrats on the Ross interview!! Let us know how the Ross interview goes and, if you need help with the prep, let us know. Communicating your reasoning will be pretty important and we're happy to help you with that!

Bhavik
GMAT Club Bot