Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Armchair anthropologists of the Victorian Era rarely visited

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Armchair anthropologists of the Victorian Era rarely visited [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 00:09
IEsailor wrote:
18. Armchair anthropologists of the Victorian Era rarely visited the lands in whose cultures they proclaimed themselves experts, and were as likely as not to call the inhabitants “savages.” By contrast, contemporary anthropologists, who are not taken seriously unless they have lived for a time among the people they study, are likely to use the more enlightened term “indigenous people.”

The author’s assertion about the superiority of contemporary anthropologists rests on which of the following assumptions about the word enlightened?

B. To be enlightened requires spending time among the people being studied.
D. A person who has been enlightened can not, by definition, be called a savage.

Surprising choosing the D is the correct one. However, I still want to express my reasoning below by negate technique:
A person who has been enlightened CAN, by definition, be called a savage. Actually, this negated statement is "maybe" true, not "sure".

In choice B, negate it: "To be enlightened does NOT require spending time among the people being studied" => collapse with the argument. Therefore, choice B must be the correct answer, I chose D, which is wrong.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 6

Re: Armchair anthropologists of the Victorian Era rarely visited [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 03:04
B is the answer. The main point of the argument is that contemporary anthropologists are more enlightened because they have lived with natives. Negating B destroys this main point, making B a correct assumption.

Cheers.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Armchair anthropologists of the Victorian Era rarely visited [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 03:37
It is assumed by the author that only spending time among the people being studied by the anthropologists makes them enlightened.

Option B is the clear winner here.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Armchair anthropologists of the Victorian Era rarely visited [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 10:05
IMO B.. Thanks Alex for the detailed explanation...

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Re: Armchair anthropologists of the Victorian Era rarely visited   [#permalink] 13 Jun 2012, 10:05