Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [14]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: finance and international business
Schools:Columbia university
 Q18  V17 GMAT 2: 320  Q18  V19 GMAT 3: 620  Q42  V33
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619180 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [4]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Re: As a result of consumers’ increased awareness of the health risks asso [#permalink]
Kudos
manalq8 wrote:
As a result of consumers' increased awareness of the health risks associated with heavy consumption of red meat, the meat of the ostrich has become increasingly popular as a low-fat, low-cholesterol alternative to beef. Accordingly, the number of ostrich farms in the United States has nearly quadrupled since 1980, flooding markets with ostrich products. However, the price-per-pound of ostrich meat, adjusted for inflation, has not decreased at all over the past several years.

Which of the following, if true, would best explain the steady price-per-pound of ostrich meat?
A)The demand for ostrich products has outpaced the supply.
B)Ostriches are especially difficult to breed in captivity. => This answer does not make sense because ostrich has become increasing popular whether its taste is
C)Other types of meat, such as pork and poultry, have decreased in price over the past several years. => irrelevant
D)Purveyors of beef have not attempted to counter beef's poor public image. => irrelevant
E)The number of supermarkets that carry ostrich meat has increased steadily since 1980.

Between A and E

IrakliG wrote:
E for me..

If OA is true, it means that demand is greater than supply, making ostrich products deficient. According to this, and economic principals, the price of deficient product would rise rather than remain steady.

Answer E says, that a number of supermarkets which carried ostrich products increased, so demand was met, thus prices remained steady.

Your reasoning is flawed because the citizens are the final customer. If their demand is under the supply, the second price that offered in the supermarket also decrease => the first price that offered by whole sales farmers will also decrease.

In some part, choice E only explain the ostrich flood the market. No more.

Choice A is more concise because the argument say that "the price of ostrich has not decreased at all over the past several years." This fact does not mean that the price stay constant. It can be constant or increase depend on the relation between supply and demand.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Paradox Revision: As a result of consumers’ increased awareness [#permalink]
Kudos
Answer should be A.
Two main points to consider: Market is filled with Ostrich product, and Price is not going down.
This imply that demand must be more than what is being supplied, and this is causing price soaring.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
Re: Paradox Revision: As a result of consumers’ increased awareness [#permalink]
I used the law of supply and demand here. I don't know if the GMAT requires us to use it but I found it helpful in this question.
If supply exceeds demand, prices go down.
If demand exceeds supply, prices go up.

As a result of consumers’ increased awareness of the health risks associated with heavy consumption of red meat, the meat of the ostrich has become increasingly popular as a low-fat, low cholesterol alternative to beef. Accordingly, the number of ostrich farms in the United States has nearly quadrupled since 1980, flooding markets with ostrich products. However, the price-per pound of ostrich meat, adjusted for inflation, has not decreased at all over the past several years. Which of the following, if true, would best explain the steady price-per-pound of ostrich meat?

A. The demand for ostrich products has outpaced the supply.
Demand has exceed the supply. This fits the bill.

B. Ostriches are especially difficult to breed in captivity.
This should apply for both situations, in 1980 and now. Since it states that the market has been flooding with ostrich products the price of meat should go down unless the demand has outweighed the supply.

C. Other types of meat, such as pork and poultry, have decreased in price over the past several years.
Other meat markets does not impact the ostrich market.

D. Purveyors of beef have not attempted to counter beef’s poor public image.
Same as C.

E. The number of supermarkets that carry ostrich meat has increased steadily since 1980.
Supply has gone up but it does not say anything about the demand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
This question and the explanation is illogical. If demand outpaces supplies, then prices go up -regardless of the product - this is basic economic 101. Why would ostrich farmers not increase prices if the market can withstand price increases? This explanation makes no sense what so ever. Answer C makes better sense because if the price of other meat decreases then folks may start looking for cheaper alternatives to ostrich meat, thus holding the price of ostrich in check.
Rotman School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.59
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
As a result of consumers’ increased awareness of the health risks asso [#permalink]
The farms have quadrupled. So, supply has increased manifolds and yet the prices have not dropped. There has to be something with demand which is keeping the price from hitting its equilibrium (Demand = Supply, resulting in optimum price). We need an answer choice explaining this phenomenon.

Which of the following, if true, would best explain the steady price-per-pound of ostrich meat?

A)The demand for ostrich products has outpaced the supply.

Supply has grown but demand has grown even faster, keeping the commodity rare in market resulting in price on higher side.CORRECT

B)Ostriches are especially difficult to breed in captivity.

But Supply has quadrupled. Incorrect.

C)Other types of meat, such as pork and poultry, have decreased in price over the past several years.

Could have resulted in price rise of other options as well, why only Ostrich? Incorrect

D)Purveyors of beef have not attempted to counter beef's poor public image.

This would have benefitted all other alternatives to beef not just Ostrich. Incorrect.

E)The number of supermarkets that carry ostrich meat has increased steadily since 1980.

Understandable since the farms have quadrupled but why are prices high? With more supply the price should have come down. Incorrect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Re: As a result of consumers’ increased awareness of the health risks asso [#permalink]
Kudos
if demand outpaced supply then price of ostrich has to increase. why will it remain constant?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
As a result of consumers increased awareness of the health risks asso [#permalink]
BazingaGMAT

Hi,
Hope this finds you well.
I am not an expert but can help.
The question stimulus ask us to select the best answer choice of the lot.

Option A:- Fits the bill. The stimulus says that supply has quadrupled. Plus this option says that demand has outpaced supply. So this best explains why the prices have remained constant. I too applied the basics of economics while answering the question but out of the lot this was one that was able to explain the best.
Supply increased and demand increased too, hence price remains the same.

Option C:- the prices of other types of meat has decreased. If this was the case then then supply of other types of meat should have risen. Furthermore, increase in price of other kinds of meat would have impacted the sales of ostrich meat not decrease.

Option E:- on the other hand just tells us that supply has increased. As a matter of fact, this information is already given in the stimulus. Plus, this option does not mention anything about demand. Has it increased or not?

So out of the lot, Option A fits the best.
Hope your query stands resolved.

Criticism would be welcome on my analysis.

Thanks
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: As a result of consumers increased awareness of the health risks asso [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: As a result of consumers increased awareness of the health risks asso [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts