Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [28]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [7]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Re: As cultural hybridity, new religious practices in Thailand express a m [#permalink]
Kudos
kanigmat011 wrote:
As cultural hybridity, new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, spaces that have many layers of meaning or relationships to other places than immediately meet the eye.

A., new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, spaces that have many layers of meaning or relationships to other places than

B.new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, spaces that have many layers of meaning or relationships to other places as

C.new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, a term that describes spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places than

D., new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality with mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, a term that describes spaces, that have more layers of meaning or relationships than other places, which

E.new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, and Foucault (1986) defined them as “heterotopias” , spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places that

in C, "that have moe... than meet" is good or not? I think "that more have ... than meet " is correct

I am confuse
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V27
GPA: 2.5
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: As cultural hybridity, new religious practices in Thailand express a m [#permalink]
Can i understand in this way?
There is a omission.
a term that describes spaces that have more layers of meaning or relationships to other places than "spaces that" immediately meet eyes?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Hello Experts,
What confuses me the most is the usage of comma before new. Should it be :
a) As cultural hybridity, new religious practices in Thailand or
b) As cultural hybridity new religious practices in Thailand

I looked out for options that had a comma before new and ended up getting the answer incorrect.
What I cannot understand is the fragment "As cultural hybridity new religious practices in Thailand". Somehow it doesn't seem or sound correct to me. Shouldn't there be a logical pause (comma) after "As cultural hybridity" ?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks & Regards,
Nab
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31951 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nab77 wrote:
Hello Experts,

I looked out for options that had a comma before new and ended up getting the answer incorrect.
What I cannot understand is the fragment "As cultural hybridity new religious practices in Thailand". Somehow it doesn't seem or sound correct to me. Shouldn't there be a logical pause (comma) after "As cultural hybridity" ?

Thanks & Regards,
Nab

Hi,
this is a phrase starting with AS and modifies the noun coming after that, in this case - new religious practices in Thailand..
meaning of AS is ' in the role/ capacity ' of...

so COMMA is must..

another example -
As a true citizen of the country, I pay my taxes in time..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
Nab77 wrote:
Hello Experts,

Thanks & Regards,
Nab

Hi,
this is a phrase starting with AS and modifies the noun coming after that, in this case - new religious practices in Thailand..

so COMMA is must..

another example -

Hi Chetan,
In that respect shouldn't the correct answer C have a comma before new? The comma exists only for options A & D , which are incorrect :(
For option C, I read the statement in 1 breath - As cultural hybridity new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements,

But I chose A which had a comma :
As cultural hybridity, new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements,

Do you think comma can be the basis of eliminating answer choices, to begin with, or should I keep it as the last priority? In this question i eliminated all other answer choices without the comma and ended up getting the incorrect answer :( Is my approach wrong?

Thanks & Regards,
Nab
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31951 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nab77 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Nab77 wrote:
Hello Experts,

Thanks & Regards,
Nab

Hi,

so COMMA is must..

another example -

Hi Chetan,
In that respect shouldn't the correct answer C have a comma before new? The comma exists only for options A & D , which are incorrect :(
For option C, I read the statement in 1 breath - As cultural hybridity new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements,

But I chose A which had a comma :
As cultural hybridity, new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements,

Do you think comma can be the basis of eliminating answer choices, to begin with, or should I keep it as the last priority? In this question i eliminated all other answer choices without the comma and ended up getting the incorrect answer :( Is my approach wrong?

Thanks & Regards,
Nab

Hi Nab,

I am sure the COMMA is a part of non-underlined portion, and not likely to be a major error. the sentence will have alternate errors too...
A is wrong because it misses out on VERB..

As cultural hybridity, new religious practices in Thailand express a mix of reality and non-reality or mythic elements, which Foucault (1986) defined as “heterotopias”, spaces that have many layers of meaning or relationships to other places than immediately meet the eye.
elements- spaces? something is missing..
In C, it is corrected by using the last clause as a modifier, starting with 'a term'
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes it's clear now. Thank you so much! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Error in option D is "Relationship than". in option c "relationship to" is correct preposition.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Can anyone help me understand what role is "which" playing here and the term it is referring to?

Does it refer to "cultural hybridity" or does it refer to mythical elements and does the position of "," change what the which might refer to at all? GMATNinja mikemcgarry
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts