Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 00:32 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 00:32
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10213 [0]
Given Kudos: 4553
Test: Test
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all Erasmus(Rotterdam) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: The Final Stretch
Dear Readers,

The summer is in full swing – although today it feels like Autumn when looking outside of the window – and I sweating away on my in-company project (ICP). The 3rd term ended early June with lectures on strategy and sustainability. We had a great lecturer from Deloitte Africa! By ending term 3 the real group work also ended. From here onwards we have to finish our ICP and at least 3 electives. The electives will commence from September onwards.

Before starting to tell you all about my electives it might be an idea to shed a bit more light on the ICP. To be honest, much will depend on your company, topic and reader. I have heard stories of 90+ pages reports being in the making, however mine will be finalised with roughly 40. I did opt for a topic that relates to Organisational Behaviour and Strategy. To be more precise: internal knowledge transfer and the effects on the competitive advantage.

Although RSM does not really state it in so many words, this project is similar to a thesis, an applied one. Much of this would also depend on the reader and his or her style and preferences.

Ok, back to my electives. I did opt for 1) International Negotiations, 2) Strategy and General Management and 3) Strategic Business Valuation. Two professors will be from abroad (South Africa and Canada) and one from our own business school.

On the home front things are moving along. My wife is really happy that my EMBA is almost finished and I cannot blame her. Two years is a long stretch to live with a partner that is always pre-occupied – to some extend – with his EMBA. Four more weekends to go, my dear!

Just recently my daughter became 10 months old, boy does time pass by quickly. I realize that my biggest challenge has been trying to be everything for everyone all the time. I think this is something all fathers and mothers whom are doing a part-time MBA are struggling with.

In three weeks I am off with a great group of Full-time and Executive MBA students to Washington, Georgetown for our one-week MBA study tour. Really looking forward to it! It seems we will be hosted by a great university – Georgetown University, McDonough School of Business.

Ok, ladies and gentlemen, not sure how many blogs I will still write. Most likely one or two more. Watch this space!

Cheers,

Bart

Candidate Executive MBA Class of 2015

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all Erasmus(Rotterdam) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: OneMBA about to start…

Its now just a week away and I am dead nervous to start studying again after 30 years since graduation. There are no books but only downloads and links. But somehow …I feel fully supported and know that everything will work out.

Maybe its just me, but please do allow me to share my journey till today.

I had planned to study for an MBA about 10 years ago, but never really had the time due to thousand reasons (which I cannot remember anymore, except it probably centered around family, work, time and money). In a twist of fate, I had an opportunity to review my goals this year and simply decided to go for it!

Researching via my network, meeting as many people as possible, cross-checking via the Internet. Yes somehow the thousand insights did not help as much as I thought till I had my first meeting with Ms Tinka Broeders, Marketing and Admissions Manager of RSM. This was a very important meeting as it was a face-to-face open-discussion. This was a crucial step and from then …it was a well-guided process.

Here I wish to also share the full support from the Dean’s Office on offering “financial assistance” to help me get over some of the costs. I am proud to have received this support and feel motivated even more to do my best to honour the support awarded.

We had a BBQ in July, met members from current and past programmes, also the key RSM staff who would be guiding us for coming 2 years. Then in August, we met for Dean’s dinner, which was another crucial step towards building our relationships within the programme.

We start in 8 days, the first 3 days at RSM, then immediately off for a week in USA . We have received assignments to prepare and detailed agenda and tips on what to do and how to prepare. I could not have wished for better support.

Now its our job to take the plunge .. I am (nervously) looking forward to this adventure…
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: ONEMBA global residency Washington
The kick-off for the OneMBA class of 2017 took place two weeks ago and I was very excited to discover what was going to be in store for me in the next 21 months. The first 3 days at RSM I got to know my local peers and on the following weekend we flew to Washington to meet our global peers. Around 120 students in total and I was amazed at how many talented and charismatic people I met in such a short period of time. The warm welcome introduced me to an exiting mix of people from different cultures, backgrounds and professions. 

Being a student again is easier than I expected, because reading the material and listening to the speakers energizes me. The learning environment is dynamic and reflects the global world we live in. We are developing leadership skills for the future, including entrepreneurship, understanding the changing global economic situation, demographics and innovation.

One of the main focuses in Washington was for the global teams to get to know each other. My global team is truly cosmopolitan, all 5 schools are represented and we have 6 different nationalities. We had a lot of fun together visiting national monuments and the Museum of National History, walking through old Georgetown and enjoying seafood dinners near the river.

Meanwhile, back home, my husband was also having an intense week taking care of our 3 children. Luckily I have a lot of support from him, although my kids are still a little puzzled about why mum is going back to school; asking funny questions like if I was also nervous on the first day (yes!).

After the closing group presentations on the key learning points, it was time to go home and let this overwhelming, inspiring and fun week sink in. Thank you all very much and see you in Europe!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: IPADE’s Executive MBA International Week

IPADE’s Executive MBA International Week was a truly great event! It was about how corporations, entrepreneurs and business stakeholders can have a direct impact on society. As a Vice President of the RSM’s Net Impact Chapter, my expectations were high; IPADE’s Executive MBA International Week managed to exceed those expectations.

During the event, executives from more than 20 countries and from diverse industries gathered to discuss how their companies can have an impact on poverty,  global warming and other key issues, now. The central theme of IPADE’s EMBA Internatinal Week was “Social Responsibility: Entrepreneurial Solutions to Poverty”.

The mail goal of the meeting was clear right from the beginning: it was not about discussing the presence of an issue, it was about how to tackle and solve it.

All the lectures and workshops were aimed at how to achieve that: the presentation of Tosk restaurant, for example, was the living proof that doing good is great business. Their Corporate Social Responsibility Director showed us how stakeholder management, supply chain management and customer satisfaction must go hand in hand, creating a self-reinforcing loop in which economic performance and social improvement can coexist and bring a company to the next level. According to several speakers at the event, the key element to achieving this kind of performance is people management and a consistent flow of communication among all partners.

Apart from all that, the event was a great chance to network: there were 700 business professionals, all with the goal of sharing information, insights and expertise.

This week at IPADE will be one of the many highlights of my MBA, here at Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University.

Federico

Full-time MBA Class of 2016
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: The city called Sao Paulo – Part 2

Sao Paulo is a city alive with art and color. It’s like Brazilians have an abject fear of blandness. Everywhere you look, there’s color and street art- on walls, street corners, fences… I almost thought it was a government mandate that no wall or surface be left bare! And the Havaianas Store looks like a rainbow collided with the merchandise. As we were on a school trip, we had to go see some companies and other places of interest, of course. The most memorable for me were the visits to Meninos [pronounced men-in-yos] do Morumbi (Children of Morumbi) and Natura. The story of Meninos do Morumbi is especially beautiful. The founder of Meninos – an amazing guy called Flavio Pimenta, a musician – was already making plans to leave Brazil when he started giving informal and impromptu music lessons to some of the kids from the favela near him. Favela in Brazil is a shanty town or slum that exists within or on the edge of an urban town. Favelas are associated with poverty and can be dangerous places, usually breeding grounds for gangs and drug criminals. Many young boys have been coerced into violence and becoming drug runners because there were few or no alternatives. From about 4 to 5 kids learning how to play instruments in his living room, Meninos has grown to cater for over 14,000 children since 1996. I was especially moved to tears when I listened to the children’s stories about how Meninos changed their lives and allowed them to see that they had choices, they had hope, and finally, they had opportunities to become something other than criminals or social statistics. Meninos grew from giving music lessons to sort of an after-school club where children learn languages and music, are taught how to use computers, and learn to become part of the band. The band is very important; it is considered a family, and being part of it is a coveted and serious thing. Their guitarist is the Flavio has very strict rules about joining, and the children have to keep up their school grades to stay in the band.

Meninos also provides free meals for these children every day. We met a young lady who had been attending Meninos since she was 11. She is now 21, has attended university and become a journalist. She has even published a book. She still goes to Meninos once in a while, and was part of the lovely troupe that performed for us. Meninos do Morumbi has performed in many cities all over the world and has given these kids and young adults, who had very little prospects, the opportunity to see the world and make friends with people they couldn’t have imagined meeting. Former American President, George Bush even went to see them when he visited Brazil, though Flavio is quick to tell you that he came of his own accord and not because he was invited.

It humbled me to see how all these young lives had been touched and irrevocably changed by one person’s decision to do the best he could with what he had. We all want to change the world, and we think it has to be something big to have an impact. Flavio showed me that we can simply start small, with what we have. All it takes is a genuine desire to help someone. It may become big, like Meninos, and it may be small and nameless. The most crucial thing is that it changes someone’s life and this can have a huge ripple effect. Flavio is also big on teaching the children about self-esteem. He told us that Meninos does not ask for donations. They give performances and want to be paid for them, just like other artistes. However, as a true Brazilian (and African, I must say!), they don’t turn down donations. But they do not solicit them. It’s a way to show the children that they don’t have to beg or lower themselves to survive. They want to live by what they earn.

These children now know that they don’t have to take the life that living in a favela hands them. There’s another way; a much better and happier way to live, thanks to Meninos do Morumbi.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: The city called Sao Paulo – Part 3

The second visit to Natura was just as enjoyable. Natura is a cosmetic company, originated and based in Cajamar, Brazil, about an hour’s drive from Sao Paulo. I have never been to a google campus, and I have been to Nike in Hilversum, but I have to say that Natura’s office is the most beautiful I’ve seen. On driving into the very large compound, it has the feel of a nature reserve or a very elite and secluded spa/retreat. But no, it’s a campus housing factories and thousands of workers. Their buildings are all steel and glass; the meeting rooms are large with glass windows that face a forest of tall trees, and there’s just that feeling of wide, open space.

One of the reasons we visited them is because Natura is an eco-friendly, sustainable cosmetics manufacturer, producing natural products that are modeled by ordinary women instead of models (I got that from Wikipedia and also by going through their catalogue.) Because it’s so far from town, Natura provides almost everything for its employees – from ATMs to hair salons and a clinic, to crèche/day-care and restaurants. The whole place just radiated calm, peace and serenity. Almost made me wish I could work there, which is virtually impossible, thanks to the policies of the Brazilian government. But that’s a discussion for another day. Natura makes many products, and they have a team whose job it is to think up these new, fabulous products. Everyone in Natura is encouraged to think creatively and innovatively. What I especially like about Natura is that they use a lot of indigenous fruits and plants in their products. I think this gives them an unbeatable edge because many of these plants are indigenous to Brazil and the Amazon forest and not easily replicated elsewhere. They have products with exotic names like ucuuba, castanha, cacau, maracuja, andiroba, pitanga, buriti and murumuru.

Natura is committed to protecting where they get their resources from, and also about doing business in a sustainable way and they’re making strides to get there so they’re partnering with communities in the Amazon about replenishing and protecting the forest sources. Get a Natura skincare product if you can. I’ve used one and I have to say it’s very good. Not that it will be easy. Natura does direct selling to consultants who then sell on to end users. They have this really cool installation in their great hall with the names of every consultant who’s ever worked with them on round discs inserted into the wall. A lot of those consultants still work with them, so apparently working with Natura is good business.

Brazil is famous not only for its exotic fruits, Samba and art, but also for its food. I was particularly looking forward to the food (as I hadn’t had good meat in a while), and was rearing to do some serious damage to their menu. Instead… Sao Paulo humbled me. There was so much food, so much choice, I didn’t know where to start. I particularly fell in love with the small, cheesy bread balls called pao de queijio (pa-yo-do-qi-jho) that was served every day at breakfast. We had two group dinners I will not be forgetting in a hurry. One I call ‘Death by Pizza’, I’m sure you can guess why, and the other is ‘Death by meat’- due to an unforgettable visit to a real Brazilian churrascaria. If poker were played with meat, I would have been the first to lose because I folded early. I just couldn’t take it anymore.

On the whole, I like Brazilians. They are a people who are unapologetic about their heritage. They are very proudly Brazilian. In fact, we were made to understand that they do not regard themselves from the regions they come from, e.g. they don’t think of themselves as Sao Paulians, or Rio de Janeirians (if there’s such a word), Bahian or Maranhaoan. It doesn’t matter where you come from in Brazil. They are ALL Brazilians. This projects an incredible sense of patriotism and unity. Another thing the world could learn from Sao Paulo is the lack of body shame. The vibe I got from being in Sao Paulo is that people love their bodies, no matter what shape it is. Remember that song ‘…I’m sexy and I know it’? That’s Sao Paulo for you. Don’t get me wrong, they have a body beautiful culture- working out at Ibirapuera Park at all hours of the day, but those who don’t have washboard abs, or coke bottle figures or Barbie hair don’t seem to care. It’s like their body image isn’t tied to their self-esteem in any way. See the man with the beach-ball belly wearing a Speedo and happily gyrating away? Chances are that he’s Brazilian. Yep, they are sexy, and yep, they know it!

Sao Paulo is a city of mixtures- perspectives, races, cultures, the good, the bad and the scary, but they all find a way to get along; they all find a way to co-exist, and if for no other reason (food is always a great one), it’s worth taking a trip to see how all these disparate parts co-exist harmoniously in living color.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: OneMBA17 updates…

Time flies, looking back at my last Blog entry which was 6 weeks ago ? It has been a non-stop action-packed fuzzy-detailed journey. Starting with the first 3 days of local residence and trying to remember as many names as possible, together with understanding the way of working, all the processes… it was overwhelming. The best thing we did was to create a https://gmatclub.com/chat group and up until now we are zapping questions, supporting one another and sharing ideas on a daily basis.

The next cold shock was the 1st Global Residence, waking up at 7:00am for breakfast and working in the evenings. It was non-stop action till Saturday when we had a great time, we learned a lot, got a chance to see Washington and a Baseball game in the rain!  We also had the opportunity to mingle with all the other schools; we had an Alumni dinner, and we worked on our Group presentations on Saturday. It was a very weird feeling after lunch  when suddenly we were saying our goodbyes and dispersing in all directions. We will meet again in 6 months in Amsterdam!

(I’d like to give a tip to all prospective OneMBA students about booking your flight to Washington; I took the cheapest in-direct flight and lost my luggage,  and with only 100 Euros difference .. do take the direct flight! .. and flights are cheaper if you arrive one day earlier or leave a day later. I found the airport hotels very good value for the first day, with free shuttle bus to/from airport.)

We are now slowly settling into the MBA program with deadlines on Global and Local assignments coming up, and with a lot of reading material to get through before the 2nd Local Residency in 2 weeks (here we go again) .. but we are also getting more confident with time.

In any case, we are always supported by the Program Team with all the information necessary, it just takes time to understand all the processes. Through this all, we are quickly becoming a close-knit group and that is a great feeling.

I will keep you posted on how we survived our 2nd Local Residency in a few weeks…
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: The Butterfly Home

The project

The Early Childhood Development Centre (ECDC) provides a home and family for children who would otherwise grow up in prison due to their parents’ incarceration and lack of a legal guardian. It provides accommodation, food, care and education for over 40 children. The new “Butterfly Home” was scheduled for completion in fall 2015, but the April 2015 earthquake destroyed 60% of the building.

The person

Inspired by a visit to a women’s prison during her studies, PUSHPA BASNET started taking care of children at age 21, resulting in the founding of ECDC. Pushpa provides hope, family and education to stigmatized children to break the cycle of poverty and crime. Pushpa’s efforts are documented in the film “Waiting for Mamu” and she was awarded the CCN Hero of the Year Award in 2012.

How did I get involved?

In April 2015 after the Earthquake in Nepal, I found out that my dragon boat team member Thomas Morgan is a film producer and was trying to raise funds by showing his movie “Waiting for Mamu”. The home they were supposed to move into and was close to completion had been 60% destroyed, because if the earthquake.

I decided to support the efforts, assisting to get the movie through regulators, setting up the GoFundMe site online and raising funds in my team as well as back in Germany and of course through Gabriela Soto Pascual, a student from the Full-time MBA’16 class and a President of the RSM Charity Club.

Together with my mom we  got in touch with “Ein Herz für Kinder”, a German charity and to everyone’s absolute astonishment, they decided to cover the reconstruction of the building, which meant that it could be completed with only 3-4 months delay to the original schedule.

During this process I became close friends with Pushpa and realized I can support her long-term with my skills.

Being between jobs, I visited her for 18 days in October to talk to her about details and opportunities. The next steps for me are to help revamping the website, get her newsletter going and assist with the planning of the grand opening.

In the meantime, I may be looking locally if we could have a little exhibit of the pictures I took to raise more funds. I am also in touch with some expats that would like to try and sell some handicrafts, so this would be another small opportunity for them to generate profit.

ECDC and Butterfly Home

The Early Childhood Development Centre (ECDC) is the charity Pushpa founded. They’ve been living in rental homes for 10 years and gone through 4 moves. Her worry always was what would happen to the kids if she wasn’t there. So the Butterfly Home building is the fulfilment of her dream to have a permanent home for the children to guarantee a safe future for her project and their individual futures.

My thoughts on the time I spent in Nepal

This whole experience has taught me a lot, about people, charities, volunteering, culture, politics, news. Even a week after it’s hard to summarize all the impressions – about Nepal and the ECDC.

As far as the ECDC is concerned, the biggest realization is that those kids are not sad stories, but success stories. Life has given them a hard start, some of them witnessed incredible things. However, now, they have family and opportunities they would otherwise never have had. They get a chance to change their future, to study and to make a difference for themselves, their families and the economy. They learn to be responsible, take care of each other and the household, to study hard and to play.

There are many charities to donate to worldwide, but through a personal connection, seeing where the money goes and that everything is well managed makes a huge difference. Knowing now what particular items they need or which would help then in their daily life helps to ask for TARGETED donations that will be used for a particular cause, which makes people more comfortable (I asked my friends to sponsor blankets for example).

What really amazed me in general is the sheer resilience of the Nepalese people. I am always impressed how people in the worst conditions seem to make the best out of their lives. A week before my stay a fuel crisis had begun and since then (over 5 weeks now) hardly any fuel has reached Nepal through their Indian borders. They are running out of fuel, cooking gas and supplies are getting more expensive by the day. Electricity is rationed, so between 7-18 hours a day, this is also no alternative for many. Tourism has basically come to a halt. Considering this was a large part of income for many families, it’s hard to say how people will manage through the winter. Still, they made sure I got to see the city (by bike), we simply walked a lot and cooking was done over fire.

For the country I really hope that the political situation gets resolved soon, so rebuilding can continue. And I’d really hope to see tourists return to this place as it is filled with impressive sights (despite the destruction which is still VERY visible), breathtaking landscapes and amazingly friendly, resilient people.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: Helping the Butterfly Home in Kathmandu, Nepal

Sometimes, terrible events bring out the best in people and present you opportunities you never expected to have. They may lead you to meet amazing people and give you the chance to make a difference in people’s lives and use your skills to give back, which is something a lot of us seek to do but often simply don’t know  how.

For me, this happened in the form of the massive earthquake in Nepal in April this year. The project is called the “Early Childhood Development Centre” and is led by the amazing Pushpa Basnet.

The project

The Early Childhood Development Centre (ECDC) provides a home and family for children who would otherwise grow up in prison due to their parents’ incarceration and lack of a legal guardian. It provides accommodation, food, care and education for over 40 children. The new “Butterfly Home” a new building owned by the ECDC, was scheduled for completion in fall 2015, but the April 2015 earthquake destroyed 60% of the building.

The person

Inspired by a visit to a women’s prison during her studies, PUSHPA BASNET started taking care of children at age 21, resulting in the founding of ECDC. Pushpa provides hope, family and education to stigmatized children to break the cycle of poverty and crime. Pushpa’s efforts are documented in the film “Waiting for Mamu” and she was awarded the CCN Hero of the Year Award in 2012.

How did I get involved?

In April 2015 after the Earthquake in Nepal, I found out that my dragon boat team member Thomas Morgan is a film producer and was trying to raise funds by showing his movie “Waiting for Mamu”. The home they were supposed to move into and was close to completion had been 60% destroyed in the earthquake.

I decided to support the efforts, assisting to get the movie through regulators, setting up a GoFundMe site online and raising funds in my team as well as back in Germany and of course through Gabriela Soto Pascual, a student from the Full-time MBA’16 class and the President of the RSM Charity Club.

Together with my family back in Germany we got in touch with “Ein Herz für Kinder”, a German charity and to everyone’s absolute astonishment, they decided to cover the reconstruction of the building, which meant that it could be completed with only 3-4 months delay to the original schedule.

During this process I became close friends with Pushpa and realized I can support her long-term with my skills.

Being between jobs, I visited her for 18 days in October to talk to her about details and opportunities. The next steps for me are to help revamping the website, get her newsletter going and assist with the planning of the grand opening. We are also exploring if we can create an income generating opportunity here in Singapore by selling some of the handicrafts made by the children or their mothers.

My thoughts on the time I spent in Nepal

This whole experience has taught me so much, about people, charities, volunteering, culture, politics, news. Even a week after it’s hard to summarize all the impressions – about Nepal, the ECDC and how it influenced me on a personal level.

As far as the ECDC is concerned, the biggest realization is that those kids are not sad stories, but success stories. Life has given them a hard start, some of them witnessed incredible things. However, now, they have a family and opportunities they would otherwise never have had. They get a chance to change their future, to study and to make a difference for themselves, their families and the economy. They learn to be responsible, take care of each other and the household, to study hard and to play. It really encouraged me to make the best out of what hands you are dealt, take each opportunity you get and turn hardship into opportunity and success!

We often ask ourselves how we can give back. There are many charities to donate to worldwide, but through a personal connection, seeing where the money goes and that everything is well managed makes a huge difference. Knowing now what particular items they need or which would help them in their daily life helps to ask for TARGETED donations that will be used for a particular cause, which makes people more comfortable (I asked my friends to sponsor blankets for example).

As far as donating and volunteering goes, often well meant efforts may not be what people actually need, clothes donations for example are sent with great intentions but money helps in 2 ways by also supporting the local economy. You gain valuable experience and insights through volunteering, but make sure you come with a plan and use your skills. Sometimes you can help more from afar than being an extra mouth to feed in a disaster zone! Nevertheless, we MBA’s all have skills that can be put to use even from afar… logistics, IT, management advice, entrepreneurial insights, business plans, accounting… think about sustainable solutions or the possibility to be involved long term.

What really impressed me personally is the sheer resilience of the Nepalese people. I am always amazed how people in the worst conditions seem to make the best out of their lives. A week before my stay, a fuel crisis had begun and since then (over 6 weeks now) hardly any fuel has reached Nepal through their Indian borders. They are running out of fuel, cooking gas and supplies are getting more expensive by the day. Electricity is rationed, so between 7-18 hours a day, this is also no alternative for many. Tourism has basically come to a halt. Considering this was a large part of income for many families, it’s hard to say how people will manage through the winter. Only slowly, news about this possibly bigger humanitarian crisis than the earthquake are reaching the international awareness.

For the country I hope that the political situation gets resolved soon, so rebuilding can continue. I’d also love to see tourists return to this place as it is filled with impressive sights (despite the destruction which is still VERY visible), breathtaking landscapes and amazingly friendly, resilient people.

If you’d like to know more about this project, feel free to drop me a line, contact me on Facebook or connect via Gabriela and the Charity Club.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: Catalunya – My Journey

When I signed up to go to Catalunya earlier in the year, my vague assumption was that it was a retreat where we would sit around a camp fire, trash bad leadership and discuss why we wanted to be ‘good’ leaders, while the facilitator would give us tips and lessons on what it takes to be a ‘great’ leader. We would all hold hands, ‘ohmmm’ and sing ‘kumbaya’ before withdrawing to the 3 or 5 star retreat we would be staying at… LOL! Far from it!

16 of us had gathered in Spain, 3 from the Full-time MBA, one alumnus and 12 EMBA students who were wrapping up their MBA after a grueling two years. We were all eager to discover something about leadership on a one-week retreat from the world and from technology, up in the Catalonian Mountains. When we were all assembled at the Barajas airport, we were handed cards asking us to think about the new land we were in and what it meant to us; what our first impressions were… This was to set the tone for the rest of the week. We were given a lot of postcard-sized cue cards, and asked to think a lot on this journey. I started getting an inkling of what was up ahead when, after a 2/3 hour bus ride, we were given a second card and asked to think about what leadership meant to us, and what was the difference between a manager and a leader. I was stumped. I mean, I know what a leader is, we’ve all seen examples, but I’d rarely given deep thought to what leadership meant to me and what I considered to be the difference between a manager and a leader. A manager leads people and is in charge of them, right? But wait, isn’t that also what a leader does…? I was afraid that all this deep thinking was going to dent something up there. But this was just the tip of the reflection iceberg. I’m sure by now you’ve realized there was no camp fire. And no ohhming or kumbaya either. Instead, there was mountain climbing! And canyoning! And hiking! And bicycling! All physically taxing and exhausting.

Catalunya turned out to be a journey into the self. No tips, no advice, no suggestions were handed out, like so much lollipop. Our skilled facilitator, Gijs Pothof, knew how to get us to dig deep. He took us to places where, surrounded by fragrant rosemary bushes, the only distraction was the occasional bee strolling past. All that silence allowed long-buried thoughts to quietly bubble to the surface. There was no ‘noise’ from the outside world to sidetrack you from facing what you needed to discover about yourself. Some aspects of the journey were emotionally ‘uncomfortable’ such as exercises that required us to define our personal values and goals and to envision the future we wanted. It was sort of scary because it was like learning to meet yourself all over again. All those ideals, dreams and aspirations we had quietly dropped by the way in exchange for becoming grown up and ‘facing reality’ started creeping back. One of the questions I had to face was whether I was really living the best life I could or simply going through the motions… As I said- deep stuff. You left Catalunya knowing you had to take personal responsibility. You could no longer blame your boss, your job, the economy, whatever it was, for why you were limiting yourself. From that trip forward, you were responsible for every decision you made. You had no more excuses to whine.

Did I find myself in Catalunya? No, I didn’t. I got to meet a ‘me’ that I had never taken the time to appreciate or value. I got to see myself through the eyes of total strangers who became friends. I had some faulty perceptions corrected and I found a strength in myself I didn’t realize I had. I need to emphasize here that my Catalunya journey is an ongoing process. I‘m still developing, changing, growing. But after Catalunya, I look in the mirror now and I’m proud of who I see.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: THE IMPORTANCE OF BUSINESS ETHICS IN A WORLD IN CRISIS

The recent events that have unfolded worldwide, in France, Mali, Palestine and Lebanon, to name a few, have shocked the international community.  It is sometimes difficult to understand a world with such a frontal and raw hate between people that believe they have irreconcilable differences.

After being accepted for the Full-time MBA’17 programme and thanks to technology, I’ve had the privilege to get to know several students from places that range from the Far East to the southernmost parts of the Americas and Europe.

The Full-time MBA class of 2017 is a merry band, with so many messages on our https://gmatclub.com/chat group that it’s difficult to keep up.  And despite our cultural differences, we all share the same objective: To grow as individuals.

We all have shared stories about our backgrounds, our dreams and the positive impact we want to make in our communities or by moving abroad after graduation.  And the stories, no matter how far apart they happened, share a lot of commonalities.

Understanding how events like the ones that shook Paris last week can happen can be daunting, especially when people as different as us can relate with such positivity.  How can mankind remain in a constant state-of-war with itself?

In the wake of these tragic events, it’s very important to realize that there’s a lot more to it than religious ideology.  It often has to do with geopolitical plays and unethical business decisions from people in privileged positions.  It has to do with the way business is conducted in a daily basis in this “cowboy capitalism”, where there’s no space for social and corporate responsibility.  Those unethical business decisions often derive in the events we are currently witnessing.

That’s why it’s so important for MBA graduates to become ethical business leaders in the future, because sustainability doesn’t have to do simply with the environment but with business ethics, and creativity to face the tough global environment we will face in the coming years.

We have people from India and Pakistan, from Mexico and the United States, from Nigeria and Turkey… and we all have created a great atmosphere that makes everyone excited about joining the RSM family.

Our academic year will be an experience that will create friendships for a lifetime, but I guess that no matter how many Finance or Marketing lessons we may take with us, the most important lesson will be the experience of growing and sharing an intercultural environment with people from different backgrounds.

Hopefully, in the long run, the MBA experience will allow the 100+ students of this generation to get involved in global business and change how business worldwide is done for the better.

Juan Maldonado Alcázar
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: Preparing for Departure

It’s been three months since I received my acceptance letter to the RSM MBA 2017 intake and getting everything in order for my move to the Netherlands has so far been easier than expected. I must admit that the flood of emails I got after accepting my offer threw me off a bit and got me worried about all the things I needed to do to facilitate my arrival in Rotterdam, but to my relief, the amazingly patient and extremely helpful RSM staff have been guiding me through every step of the way. From setting up my university email to applying for my visa and sorting out my accommodation, the RSM staff are always there to assist with what ever I might need and for that I would like to thank them.

Right after accepting my offer, I was invited to join my batch’s official Facebook page, where my classmates, current MBA students, and RSM staff can communicate and share their insights into the MBA journey that we are about to embark on. The RSM staff and current students are kind enough to provide us (the new kids on the block) with much needed information about almost anything that has to do with our upcoming RSM MBA year. From sharing interesting opinions about job hunting and exchange programmes to posting ads for accommodation rentals and used book sales, the Facebook group has been a great way to obtain information and have our concerns addressed.

My favourite communication platform, however, has been our batch’s https://gmatclub.com/chat group. One of my classmates created a https://gmatclub.com/chat group for the MBA class of 2017, and it’s been the best way to get to know all my classmates before meeting them in person. Yes, sometimes I do get overwhelmed trying to catch up on all 170 new messages after only 5 minutes of not checking my phone, but I never tire of the never-ending battle between the Mac users and the PC users or the random selfies and scenery pictures my classmates share on the chat. The group chat has been a great way for us to share our excitements and concerns, discuss politics and the world economy, and get to know each other on a personal level. It’s now easy to see how our group dynamic will be when we finally meet to start our MBA in January, and I cannot wait.

I have everything ready for my journey. Let’s go.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Guys did anyone try to start the application form ? It says November 2nd 2015 as deadline... have they opened the application for the next intake in 2017 ? Any thoughts ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: A GAMER MINDSET IS VITAL TO ENGAGE CUSTOMERS
Customer Experience (CX) is a relatively new competitor in the business arena, but savvy strategists know that this is the most important asset companies will have in the future.  Products are relatively similar these days, and any Black Friday can show you that pricing is no longer a big advantage for companies struggling with sales.

Brand differentiation and increased investment in CX have shown since 2009 that a close customer experience management yields higher referral rates and increases customer satisfaction. In today’s market you can even receive earned media for your product online and on TV just for your customer engagement.  For example, PlayStation vs Xbox has been a unique rivalry displayed in TV Shows and popular online forums like 9Gag.  In a world where insensitivity towards company-generated advertisements is our daily bread, this approach could easily signify the survival of several firms in the marketplace.

What does this have to do with gaming?  Gamification is a process that applies the thinking and tools of a game designer, such as mechanics, to an existing real business problem or process (Palmer, Lunceford, Patton, 2012). This means you could easily take the key elements of gaming like challenges, playfulness and interactivity; to pair them with real-life business objectives.  In recent years, it has been used to design solutions for things that range from employee training to BTL and ATL marketing (much like Google’s latest Star Wars theme).

The key point to consider for CX is that gamification offers a direct relation of the player with the media.  This term has been coined as Immersion (Csikszentmihalyi, M. 1990).

What if we used these tools directly to increase customer satisfaction?  Well, for instance using this approach in the interaction with your client could make them feel more involved with your brand.  However, that would be just the tip of the iceberg.  It could even be used towards designing the exact products your loyal customers crave at a fraction of the cost if you pair the approach with a rewarding gaming experience, big data and social recognition for your customers.

For example, toy maker Step 2 encourages parents to get involved in creating buzz for their brand with a point and badge system.  Points are achieved for reviews, sharing product specs and engaging other potential customers.  This way, they can rise in category by several levels in order to be recognized as brand influencers.  Step 2 also provided a leaderboard to give public recognition to its most participative members.  This has in turn increased brand engagement for the company as well as provided useful insights for the marketing and design teams.

Managers with a gamer mindset will be required in the future if corporations really want to engage and maintain customers actively.  They need to be able to establish a goal for the company and design a rewarding and fun user interface to achieve it, but also think in all the ways a customer might exploit the system to reap rewards without giving something in exchange.  The first trials of this approach in the CX arena have shown significant increases in the level of customer interaction with companies (moving the needle upwards between 20 to 50 percent).

If companies hire such leaders, they might be able to use the findings derived from gamification to implement initiatives in new ventures as well as reinforce the things that are already working in their business model.

In the end, customers have to come first.  And gamification is one way to empower them and let them handle their own customer journey.

Juan Maldonado Alcázar

Ref: Brown, E., & Cairns, P. (2004). A grounded investigation of game immersion. CHI 2004, ACM Press, 1279–1300 // Czikszentmihalyi, M. (1990). Flow: ThePsychology of Optimal Experience. Harper and Row: New York // Lunceford, Palmer, Patton (2012) The engagement economy: How gamification is reshaping businesses
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: NO PAIN NO GAIN

The last 3.5 days residency for the OneMBA17 in calendar year 2015 was scheduled for mid December. Besides the various classes we would be having on Personal Leadership Development, Operations Management and Leading & Managing Global Operations (LAMGO), RSM had also scheduled a so-called “Partner day” for our partners on the last afternoon of the residency.

Just after the October residency, an invite had been sent to all partners of the OneMBA17 class with a request to join the OneMBA17 class on the last afternoon of the December residency. Not surprisingly, given everyone’s busy schedules, it took a while for people to pass on the invitation to their partners, and then some more time to have partners confirm! Taking into account that some partners are living abroad, the approximate 50% of the partners that ultimately joined the session, can be considered quite a good attendance rate!

After a warm welcome at RSM, the partners were joined by the OneMBA17 class for lunch. We were served a lovely warm meal, during which we had the opportunity to introduce our partners to the people we had been surrounded with in the last few months since we started our OneMBA journey. Not surprisingly, it was nice for both partners and class members to put a face to the names that the class mates had been talking about at home and, vice versa, in class. We shared stories, jokes and experiences so far, while at the same time tips were exchanged for what works well or not so well. The event also gave partners the opportunity to share stories about how they had experienced these past months and what they were running into at home when dealing with their partner’s MBA time pressures. While strategies between class members may have varied between spending holidays studying, to some other students studying every weeknight to allow for some free time on the weekend, it was reaffirmed that the time pressure of the OneMBA program is considered significant.

Fortunately, and on specific request of the OneMBA17 class, our partners had been given some homework too! So after our shared lunch, when the OneMBA17 class went back to their session on Personal Leadership Development, our partners had a session on the MBA Experience with Dory Grandia. Prior to coming to RSM, they were asked to look at Geert Hofstede’s website to gain an understanding of the differences between their own national culture and a different culture of someone they knew. Since working with so many different cultures is such an intrinsic part of the OneMBA programme, it gave our partners a little insight into the experience of the OneMBA class members when working in culturally diverse teams. Besides that, there was a good explanation of the OneMBA programme by our anchors of the programme: Saskia Treurniet, Mariapia Di Palma and Jos Latuheru.

And then, last but not least, 2 of the current OneMBA16 participants were present to share  some of their personal stories and experiences with our partners. There was a funny example of comparing the steep learning curve and the personal development that a OneMBA participant may be going through during the programme with a race horse, while the partner is lagging behind and trying to catch up…. Obviously, it is a shared responsibility of partners to keep each other informed and involved since the time pressure of the OneMBA as well as your family life and jobs seriously impact the time available for just the 2 of you. A clear message for all partners was to try and give the OneMBA participants the space they need to study. Being patient and understanding when they are stressed, tired or not their “normal” selves was also considered to greatly reduce stress. All of this will support you in becoming a stronger team and finding a new balance together during this MBA ride. In my family, we have definitely experienced that all family members needed time to get used to the new reality of mom doing her MBA. “NO PAIN NO GAIN” and “ENJOY IT” are phrases commonly heard in our family home nowadays!

All in all, my partner very much appreciated the opportunity to share stories, get some more insight, as well as simply meeting the people that I will be spending a lot of time with in these 2 years. From my perspective, it was a really nice experience getting to know other class member’s partners and sharing stories about the impact of doing an MBA in real life! The afternoon was completed with drinks with the OneMBA17 class members in Maria’s Cafe where we made a toast to a good new year to come!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: My decision to do a MBA at RSM

Many people have asked my why I decided to do a MBA, and why I chose RSM. To date it’s been one of the most difficult decisions of my life (although the process of trying to pack everything I own into a 30 kg bag for the flight to Rotterdam is a close second).

Why an MBA? Already holding a Masters degree in process engineering, attaining PhD was the logical next step for me. I consulted various people in industry regarding their decision to either do a MBA or a PhD and the impact of this on their career path. It became clear that none of these degrees are limiting, and you can even do both if you so desire, but a PhD will most likely focus your career into a specific field of expertise, whereas a MBA can be applied more broadly to business in general. Not being sure about further focussing my career with a PhD, and considering the 3-5 year commitment that comes with doing such a degree, I decided to rather opt for an MBA. At this stage of my life it is also a more attractive and relevant degree for how I see my career developing.

My career experience being in the fields of climate change, energy and sustainability are very relevant, exciting and fast growing industries in South Africa and throughout Africa. These fields change business and governments for the better, and ultimately creates a better livelihood for the general public. Upon completing my MBA, my short-term goal is to gain international working experience from an engineering or management consultancy, which will allow me to apply my engineering skills to big business. In the longer term (7-10 years) my ideal will be to start my own consultancy.

Ultimately I’d like to return to South Africa to apply what I’ve learnt from working abroad. Industrial development is happening at a rapid pace throughout Africa, but is is essential that this be done with consideration for the social and environmental issues that this continent faces. Various international companies are branching out to Africa to capitalise on the development. Being an engineer with not only technical knowledge, but also an understanding for business in both the local and international communities will be invaluable to successfully implement and manage projects sustainably.

So, why RSM? I selected this school primarily for its focus on sustainability and diversity. The threats of climate change are global, and working towards mitigating emissions and adapting to climate change will require international cooperation. I’m very exited to share a class with a diverse group of forward thinking individuals as well as meeting and learning from an innovative international business community that has a focus on sustainability.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: Why do I care about economics
Being born in 1987 in an ex-communist country, Bulgaria, I grew up in the harsh economic period of the 90’s as a consequence of the transition from centrally planned to private enterprise-based economic system.  Later on, when I studied Economics in university, I finally started to understand all the events from the 90s. From that moment I have become passionate about economics, not only as a study, but also as a way of life. I believe that appreciating economics is fundamental for everyone’s success, especially in the economic uncertainty we are currently witnessing.

Since then, I have always been following and studying the global economic trends and their impact on our life. I also try to promote the importance of this topic to the people around me. For example, I created an Economic community at IBM in Slovakia, just three months after I joined the company in January 2014. The community had the objective to encourage the interest in economics and underline its significance. Seven months after its establishment, the community had 140+ members.

Why am I so passionate about economics? It is at the heart of decision-making for individuals and businesses. What car to buy or what product to produce – these are all economically-driven decisions that we have to make. I find the eagerness of understanding and evaluating the external factors that drive decision-making strongly embedded in my personality. It helps me to be rational in my judgements, rather than critical. I always try assessing the prerequisites of a certain situation or event. I look for reasons that can explain them instead of being accusatory. Understanding the global trends helps me to adapt to the current economic volatility. Moreover, the rational and analytical mindset that I have developed throughout the years of studying and applying economics in life helps me to act adequately upon the today’s economic events in order to succeed in my personal and professional endeavours.

Economics also examines topics of importance to human well-being, an act of ensuring that all people are able to access appropriate education, employment and training opportunities and make progress. My professional aspirations are driven by enhancing well-being thought sustainability, a path through which I am keen to enhance living standards across emerging markets. Appreciating human well-being through economics is essential for achieving not only my professional goals, but also my personal purposes. I am an individual who cares about the people and the environment around us. I am passionate about helping others, however not by ‘giving fish to feed them, but teaching how to fish. Hence, I encounter the study and practice of economics for supporting human well-being as an essential part of my character, as well as an inseparable driver towards my professional aspirations.

Economic developments have shaped and are still shaping the world. By understanding economics we can change the world around us into something better. This philosophy deeply reflects on my personality in terms of finding the reasons of where we stand now as a society and how we can make a better tomorrow, together.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts