It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 18:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Erasmus(Rotterdam) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Culture – through my looking glass… [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 04:01
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: Culture – through my looking glass…
The beautiful grounds of UNC campus, NC.
I have always been fascinated by cultures, every aspect of it – the cuisine, language, traditional wear, social habits etc. But, I was more of a spectator than a participant until September 18, 2016.

The US Global Residency for the OneMBA Program began on September 18 and concluded on September 24 (my birthday). It was during this time that I experienced firsthand what happens when 5 cultures and about 115 different personalities converge in one location. Participants from the 5 member universities that comprise the OneMBA Program, met for the first time at the UNC Kenan-Flagner Business School’s North Carolina campus. We were then put into our ‘global teams’ –  usually a team consisted of about six persons, each school was represented by one or more participant. From the time, we were assigned to our team (Go Team 4!), until the end of the residency, we studied, ate, took trips, and made presentations together. For someone who grew up introverted, and to this day has some residual effects of this personality trait, it was a tough week, but also a great learning experience.

The LAMGO (Leading and Managing Global Organizations) sessions were especially enlightening and liberating. Studying the theories of culture while simultaneously interacting directly with my cohorts from the same cultures being studied helped greatly to dismantle myths and stereotypes and made me more aware.

One of my most treasured moments from this residency was my chat with professor Johnson about an issue I was facing. He provided amazing insights into the situation which helped me to see beyond the obvious.

In retrospect, the first global residency in the US was the launching pad for great friendships and collaborations. It also taught me to be comfortable being uncomfortable.

Team 4 at the Hilltop restaurant, NC
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Intern
Intern

Kick off week EMBA18 in the pocket [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 03:01
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: Kick off week EMBA18 in the pocket
After weeks and weeks of anxiety for the start of the programme the EMBA18 kick off week has finally happened. It was an eventful week with fun activities to meet our classmates. Off course this also marked the inevitable start to classes.

Drums and pictures

The week started on Saturday. A day of combining the RSM basic information (learning to study again and who what where) and meeting our fellow students through fun events. The fun events included a drumming activity with a twitch. Traditional African drums were used to convey ideas about leadership skills. During the session things like gestures and mimics were discussed and explained. This gave us the opportunity to learn more about ourselves. Following this eventful day were a couple of drinks to socialize.

The real start

With one Sunday to rest we continued into the week on Monday with the official kick off by the dean. This was followed by further basic information and taking of our official EMBA pictures. In addition we were introduced to our class and team for the first time. The days after were filled with classes on PLD and MA, both of which gave a good impression on how the rest of the programme would develop. In addition the first team meetings were set up combined with a team training session during the PLD class on Saturday.

On Saturday during our last class the opportunity was given for our spouses to visit RSM for a guest lecture and some drinks with our year. This was much appreciated as it gave insight to what we had embarked on and also gave a good impression on what our other students were like. My wife very much liked this and the effort from RSM to generate such events is highly appreciated.

After closing the day on Saturday the long week was over. We could look back on a eventful week, meeting a lot of new people and finally realizing what our lives would like for the coming 21 months. Although intense it was definitely worthwhile and provides a good starting point for what lies ahead.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Intern
Intern

Goodbye, hello – let’s do this again! PART 2 – The Residency [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 03:01
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: Goodbye, hello – let’s do this again! PART 2 – The Residency
 The Netherlands –  First destination of the Europe Residency

The Nhow Rotterdam hotel was our home base for the duration of our time in the Netherlands. After checking in and settling in my room with a stunning view of the Maas river, it was time to prepare for the opening reception and dinner on board of the SPIDO boat. We reunited with our global teams over cocktails and took a lot of photos for posterity. But alas, the time soon came for us to say goodbye to our ‘old’ teams, and to embrace our new teams. It was an emotional experience.

On Monday March 13, the residency officially began. At 7:45 am we piled into buses and headed to Rotterdam School of Management for presentations by faculty members, including Dr. Koen Berden, Economist, and Director at World Trade Institute.

We were also very fortunate to hear Dr. Jan Peter Balkenende, former Prime Minister of the Netherlands,  expound on global topics during one of our sessions.

This residency provided deeper insights into topics such as:

• the fate of the European Union (EU) after Brexit
  • the role of family-owned businesses in The Netherlands
  • and social issues such as – the refugee crisis, gender inequality, climate change and aging population, to name a few.
In each session, professors and guest speakers alike shared their unique perspectives and experiences, purposefully giving us the option to either identify with a stated opinion, or recognize the fundamental differences between their stated position and our personal views.

The classroom sessions were complemented by visits to companies like ISM eCompany, Unilever and RDM Makerspace, which also helped to create greater awareness of the challenges and successes of doing business in Europe.

Poland – Europe Residency

The beauty of Poland is second only to its rich history.

After our final session in the Netherlands on Mar 15, we boarded a chartered plane to Poland, where we stayed at the elegant Sofitel Hotel in Warsaw. Like our time in Rotterdam, we had amazing presentations by key industry experts from various business sectors within Poland. One such expert was Professor Dariusz Filar, one of Poland’s top economist.

The amazing thing about these presentations also, was that graphic artist Jadzka Rysuje was simultaneously creating visually representation of what was being said by each speaker. Such a cool idea!

During the residency in Poland the recurring theme was the phoenix-like rise of the country out of obliteration and despair. This rebirth could be partly attributed to its European Union membership.

Even though there were many key takeaways from this residency, the most impactful moment for me was during a casual conversation with Saskia Treurniet, Executive Director of the OneMBA Program, and another participant. It was a ‘lightbulb’ moment for me.

Intern
Intern

Goodbye, hello – let’s do this again! PART 2 – The Residency [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2017, 02:01
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: Goodbye, hello – let’s do this again! PART 2 – The Residency
 The Netherlands –  First destination of the Europe Residency

The Nhow Rotterdam hotel was our home base for the duration of our time in the Netherlands. After checking in and settling in my room with a stunning view of the Maas river, it was time to prepare for the opening reception and dinner on board of the SPIDO boat. We reunited with our global teams over cocktails and took a lot of photos for posterity. But alas, the time soon came for us to say goodbye to our ‘old’ teams, and to embrace our new teams. It was an emotional experience.

On Monday March 13, the residency officially began. At 7:45 am we piled into buses and headed to Rotterdam School of Management for presentations by faculty members, including Dr. Koen Berden, Economist, and Director at World Trade Institute.

We were also very fortunate to hear Dr. Jan Peter Balkenende, former Prime Minister of the Netherlands,  expound on global topics during one of our sessions.

This residency provided deeper insights into topics such as:

• the fate of the European Union (EU) after Brexit
  • the role of family-owned businesses in The Netherlands
  • and social issues such as – the refugee crisis, gender inequality, climate change and aging population, to name a few.
In each session, professors and guest speakers alike shared their unique perspectives and experiences, purposefully giving us the option to either identify with a stated opinion, or recognize the fundamental differences between their stated position and our personal views.

The classroom sessions were complemented by visits to companies like ISM eCompany, Unilever and RDM Makerspace, which also helped to create greater awareness of the challenges and successes of doing business in Europe.

Poland – Europe Residency

The beauty of Poland is second only to its rich history.

After our final session in the Netherlands on Mar 15, we boarded a chartered plane to Poland, where we stayed at the elegant Sofitel Hotel in Warsaw. Like our time in Rotterdam, we had amazing presentations by key industry experts from various business sectors within Poland. One such expert was Professor Dariusz Filar, one of Poland’s top economist.

The amazing thing about these presentations also, was that graphic artist Jadzka Rysuje was simultaneously creating visually representation of what was being said by each speaker. Such a cool idea!

During the residency in Poland the recurring theme was the phoenix-like rise of the country out of obliteration and despair. This rebirth could be partly attributed to its European Union membership.

Even though there were many key takeaways from this residency, the most impactful moment for me was during a casual conversation with Saskia Treurniet, Executive Director of the OneMBA Program, and another participant. It was a ‘lightbulb’ moment for me.

Intern
Intern

Goodbye, hello – let’s do this again! PART 1 – The Prelude [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2017, 02:01
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: Goodbye, hello – let’s do this again! PART 1 – The Prelude
“I wonder who will be in my new global team.” This thought flitted across my mind as I packed my suitcase to attend the second global residency – held in Europe this time. As I pondered on this, I couldn’t help also reminiscing about my first global residency of the Global OneMBA Program, held in the United States about six months earlier. Back then I didn’t know what to expect, but now I was excited and anxious to see my current, global team members in person after speaking with them via Skype and telephone from September 2016 to March 2017. I also sensed that this residency would be vastly different from the first, mainly because after going through several projects together, most of the reservations had dissipated, and friendships and bonds were established.

Pre-Residency Social Events

Several classmates from Rotterdam School of Management (RSM) came up with the fantastic idea to organize social activities as a prelude to the European residency. These activities included: walking tours in The Hague and Amsterdam, dinner and a comedy show, canal cruise in Amsterdam, and visits to museums and art galleries in both cities.

Kudos to Peter Evers, Koen Pijnenburg, Elizabeth Becker Hoff, Jan Verdaasdonk and Matthijs Smeele for their effort to showcase these cities to the global cohorts! It was well organized and enjoyable, and served as a superb introduction to what would turn out to be a highly educational and fun-filled residency.

Walking tour in The Hague                                                                  

I especially liked the tour of The Hague (home to the U.N’s International Court of Justice and the International Criminal Court); the visit to the royal gallery Mauritshuis –  where I posed next to Jan Vermeer’s famous painting, “Girl with a Pearl Earring; and the canal cruise in Amsterdam.

Our guide for The Hague walking tour was amazing, and eloquently shared the rich history of the city with us. My one regret is not being able to visit the building where The Hague Convention (1961) was signed because of lack of time.

The Amsterdam crew                                                                                          In the clog!

Intern
Intern

Heading for the last phase of term 1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 08:01
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: Heading for the last phase of term 1

The first term has passed with lightning speed. Now we are entering the last 2 months, with the bulk of group assignments behind us. So far the programme has offered a multitude in cases and assignments aimed at practical application of the management theories. The first term is very much tool oriented, providing the basic skills required in day-to-day business life. Compared to my previous university education the emphasis is really on application, using the tools in real life scenarios in the form of cases or even examples from the companies we work for.

The last two months will largely focus on a number of individual assignments designed to test the knowledge. Mostly these assignments are relatively free, offering students the opportunity to select business problems and relate the theory. Like said the bulk of group assignments has passed but it has to be said that this has been a very interesting experience, with learning on multiple levels. For some group members the social aspects are challenging, whilst for others it is the content posing the main problem. All in all I must say that our group has worked very effectively and has not had any major break downs. This has been a really good experience and hopefully this can be extended into the rest of the program.

After the last 2 months of theory we will embark on the South Africa study trip. This is promising to be an intense but fun week, we have already started preparing through a pre-trip assignment. For many of us this will also mean the start of a well deserved holiday, which will be taken in South Africa. Once the trip is over I will report via this blog on our experiences. Hopefully this will be just as enjoyable as the rest of the program has been so far.

Intern
Intern

International Finance Competition [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 04:01
FROM Erasmus(Rotterdam) MBA Blog: International Finance Competition

The third International Finance Competition organised by SDA Bocconi School of Management was as international as it could get as it saw participation of over 20 top business schools from around the world. Since each school could only be represented by only one team, the competitions officer helped organize an internal case competition to choose the best team which would then represent RSM at Milan. Interested teams at RSM were given a valuation based case study to solve within 3 hours. My team was chosen the winners of that internal competition and thus got an opportunity to represent RSM at this competition.

The International Case Study Competition was sponsored by some of the big brands like Bain & Company, UniCredit and Edison group. The case study had two parts and we received the first part through email to be solved within a week and mailed back to them. We soon realized that the case was not a pure play financial analysis case but needed us to devise the given firm’s business strategy by balancing finance and its long-term vision and growth prospects. After numerous sessions of team meetings and several revisions we managed to submit our report to SDA Bocconi.

As the next step, my team and I reached Milan and it was an overwhelming experience to be part of the pool of students which were representing their schools. The interplay of energy, enthusiasm and the spirit of competition was something that we do not experience in our daily school lectures and environment and thus we would cherish that memory forever. In the second part of the case study, we were given some more information about the case. We were asked to devise the long-term business strategy for an electronics car sharing company based on growth projections of various businesses it could choose to diversify into within three hours and then present our analysis to a panel of SDA Bocconi professors and sponsors in a maximum of 5 PowerPoint slides. The 20 business schools were divided into 4 pools with each pool having 5 schools and one school from each pool was to proceed to the final round.

Unfortunately, RSM could not make it to the next stage but it brought a deep level of satisfaction to be able to represent our school at an international stage. Also, a combination of exposure to a real-life business strategy problem, a global platform and presenting your ideas to industry experts like Bain & company and Edison, provided us with an enriching experience which we would carry with us in our professional lives in the future. We would like to thank RSM which provided us with this opportunity and experience which goes beyond the classroom learning and helped us widen our horizons.

Written by Nitin Kumar, class of 2018

International Finance Competition   [#permalink] 12 May 2017, 04:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 47 posts ] 

Calling all Erasmus(Rotterdam) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap