Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [24]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 429 [12]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: At a recent conference, the transit authority has stated that the prov [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
At a recent conference, the transit authority has stated that the provisions in the Clean Air Act fail to promote mass transit as an alternative to private transportation.
The sentence tell that conference is already over. Secondly there are no two actions that need to be distingushed on the basis of time. Hence we need simple past..
1) has stated that the provisions in the Clean Air Act fail---out because of above reasons
2) stated that the provisions of the Clean Air Act fail--right
3) has stated that the provisions of the Clean Air Act will fail---out because of above reasons
4) stated that the provisions in the Clean Air Act are a failure---this is redundant and kind of exaggerates the option
5) has stated the provisions in the Clean Air Act failed---out because of above reasons
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [3]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
Re: At a recent conference, the transit authority has stated that the prov [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Verb tense rules: Unless there is a REASON, keep the tenses in the verb SIMPLE (simple>progressive or perfect) and CONSISTENT (Change tenses only if you have to)
will failed: future + past - incorrect usage! E eliminated.
Recent conferece means the conference is already over: simple past should suffice here. there is no reason for the use of past perfect - only when a later past action is present in the sentence. this is not the case here. the only other action - failing - happens before the stating, not after- and thus has stated is worng)
Choice between B and D : verb is always preferable to action noun. e.g invest> make an investment; refer > make a reference; and so fail> are a failure.
Hence, choose B.
Note that: '....stated that provisions had failed' would have been correct too.. two actions, stating happens in simple past, failing is one step further away in past and hence had failed is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Why is A incorrect? I am not very convinced with the argument that 'provisions in' makes A incorrect. It uses present perfect, not past perfect, and is an acceptable form to describe an event that occurred very recently.

Adam has finished his cereal. Please let me know if im conceptually incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
OreoShake wrote:
Why is A incorrect? I am not very convinced with the argument that 'provisions in' makes A incorrect. It uses present perfect, not past perfect, and is an acceptable form to describe an event that occurred very recently.

Adam has finished his cereal. Please let me know if im conceptually incorrect.

On second thought, present perfect is used when an action occurs in the past and continues on to the present; the authority's action does not continue on to present. Maybe thats why A is incorrect.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
OreoShake, that's correct. There are two possible reasons to use present tense for a single recent event such as "Adam has finished his cereal":

1) He has just finished quite recently and the author wants to update us on this urgent situation. ;)
2) We're describing an accomplishment. In this case, the "continues into the present" just means that the accomplishment stands. I can say "I have been to France" or "I have been awarded a Nobel Prize," even if I am no longer in France or my Nobel Prize has been revoked.

In the case of the transit authority sentence, neither of these cases applies. #2 is out because we're not stating an accomplishment. #1 isn't necessary because we already made it clear when this happened: at a recent press conference.

In general, it's useful to keep in mind that the requirements for perfect tenses (both present and past) tell us when we can use these forms, not when we should. If a perfect tense isn't needed to make our intended meaning clear, we should use a simpler tense.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
DmitryFarber wrote:
OreoShake, that's correct. There are two possible reasons to use present tense for a single recent event such as "Adam has finished his cereal":

1) He has just finished quite recently and the author wants to update us on this urgent situation. ;)
2) We're describing an accomplishment. In this case, the "continues into the present" just means that the accomplishment stands. I can say "I have been to France" or "I have been awarded a Nobel Prize," even if I am no longer in France or my Nobel Prize has been revoked.

In the case of the transit authority sentence, neither of these cases applies. #2 is out because we're not stating an accomplishment. #1 isn't necessary because we already made it clear when this happened: at a recent press conference.

In general, it's useful to keep in mind that the requirements for perfect tenses (both present and past) tell us when we can use these forms, not when we should. If a perfect tense isn't needed to make our intended meaning clear, we should use a simpler tense.

Hello DmitryFarber

In this sentence, we know that the conference took place recently but whatever the transit authority stated is still true in the present context. So shouldn't we use present perfect tense "has stated" to make this more clear?

Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
zalan wrote:
At a recent conference, the transit authority has stated that the provisions in the Clean Air Act fail to promote mass transit as an alternative to private transportation.

1) has stated that the provisions in the Clean Air Act fail
2) stated that the provisions of the Clean Air Act fail
3) has stated that the provisions of the Clean Air Act will fail
4) stated that the provisions in the Clean Air Act are a failure
5) has stated the provisions in the Clean Air Act failed

Thank you

B is the best choice.
But i have a doubt regarding tense use in B . Fail or failed ..as per logic of the sentence ,some task is already completed , why present tense in used here (fail despite of using failed).
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM