Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 17:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 173 [1] , given: 0

At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 12:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

92% (01:45) correct 8% (00:46) wrong based on 1073 sessions
At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a composer to assist him-someone not only who could arrange music for his successful big band, but mirroring his eccentric writing style as well in order to finish the many pieces he had started but never completed.

(A) someone not only who could arrange music for his successful big band, but mirroring his eccentric writing style as well in order to finish

(B) someone who could not only arrange music for his successful big band, but also mirror his eccentric writing style in order to finish

(C) someone who not only could arrange music for his successful big band, but also to mirror his eccentric writing style in finishing

(D) that being someone who could not only arrange music for his successful big band, but mirroring his eccentric writing style for finishing

(E) being someone not only who could arrange music for his successful big band, but mirror his eccentric writing style as well, finishing
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
18 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 604

Kudos [?]: 2444 [18] , given: 33

Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 13:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
betterscore wrote:
At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a composer to assist him-someone not only who could arrange music for his successful big band, but mirroring his eccentric writing style as well in order to finish the many pieces he had started but never completed.

(A) someone not only who could arrange music for his successful big band, but mirroring his eccentric writing style as well in order to finish
(B) someone who could not only arrange music for his successful big band, but also mirror his eccentric writing style in order to finish
(C) someone who not only could arrange music for his successful big band, but also to mirror his eccentric writing style in finishing
(D) that being someone who could not only arrange music for his successful big band, but mirroring his eccentric writing style for finishing
(E) being someone not only who could arrange music for his successful big band, but mirror his eccentric writing style as well, finishing

Hi, there. I'm happy to help with this one. :-)

This is OG13 SC #4, a new question that does not appear in OG12.

The BIG IDEA of this question is the "not only .... but also" idiom. The "not only" phrase appears in all five answer choices, and on the GMAT, every "not only" has to be followed by a "but only."

Right away, that eliminates (A) & (D) & (E), leaving only (B) and (C).

Now we have to look at parallelism, because in the construction "not only X but also Y", X and Y must be in parallel.

In (B) we have
= could not only arrange music
= but also mirror
verb "arrange" correctly parallel with verb "mirror"

In (C) we have
= not only could arrange music
= but also to mirror
One is a verb and the other is an infinitive, so this is a failure of parallelism. Also, notice the common word "could" either needs to be totally outside ---- "could not only X but also Y" --- or it need to appear in both terms ---- "not only could X but also could Y". See this blog for more on that mistake:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/common-par ... orrection/

For a variety of reasons, (C) is incorrect, so we are left with (B) as the best answer.

Does all this make sense? Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 149 [2] , given: 75

Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 20:24
This post received
KUDOS

not only...but also
arrange(verb) parallel with mirror(verb;to copy)

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 62

Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 14:09
This post received
KUDOS
betterscore wrote:

The meaning of the sentence:
Duke Ellington looking for a composer to do two things:
1) arrange music for his successful big band
2) mirror his eccentric writing style
not only X but also Y issue here in this sentence. Both parts need to be parallel and make sense. To fix the original sentence and the idiom, the underline portion should be changed to:
someone who couldX(1), but also Y(2).
Hence, B is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 17:03
mikemcgarry wrote:
betterscore wrote:

The BIG IDEA of this question is the "not only .... but also" idiom. The "not only" phrase appears in all five answer choices, and on the GMAT, every "not only" has to be followed by a "but only."

Now we have to look at parallelism, because in the construction "not only X but also Y", X and Y must be in parallel.

In (B) we have
= but also mirror

In (C) we have
= but also to mirror
One is a verb and the other is an infinitive, so this is a failure of parallelism. Also, notice the common word "could" either needs to be totally outside ---- "could not only X but also Y" --- or it need to appear in both terms ---- "not only could X but also could Y". See this blog for more on that mistake:

For a variety of reasons, (C) is incorrect, so we are left with (B) as the best answer.

Hi .. Is that correct to use not only could do X but also ??? is the presence of Could , should etc come after not only clause or before .
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2444 [0], given: 33

Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 17:21
Expert's post
badribaba1984 wrote:
Hi .. Is that correct to use not only could do X but also ??? is the presence of Could , should etc come after not only clause or before .

Dear badribaba1984,

Suppose you have a correlative conjunction (e.g. "not only ... but also", "both ... and", "either ... or", etc.) linking two terms, X and Y, and you have some common words (here, the common word is "could") --- there are two grammatically correct options.
1) have the common word appear once before the first conjunction:
...could not only X but also Y.
or
2) repeat the common word after each part of the conjunction:
...not only could X but also could Y.

The classic mistake, wrong 100% of the time on the GMAT SC, is to have the common word appear once after the first part of the conjunction and not appear after the second conjunction:
...not only could X but also Y. = ALWAYS INCORRECT

See this blog for more:

Does all that make sense? Let me know if you have any more questions.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 17:26

'not only' a... 'but' b..
hence, B should be the correct answer.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 50

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 20:53
Expert's post
the biggest clue is , NOT ONLY...BUT ALSO split

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2013, 06:47
betterscore wrote:

Hi All,
I understand the correct answer . What I want to know is why past perfect tense is used towards the end of the sentence " he had started but never completed "
Is " never completed " is the 2nd action ??

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end -- Abraham Lincoln

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2444 [1] , given: 33

Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2013, 13:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
targetdec31 wrote:
betterscore wrote:

Hi All,
I understand the correct answer . What I want to know is why past perfect tense is used towards the end of the sentence " he had started but never completed "

Dear targetdec31,
In general, the past perfect is used to show one past action happened before another. The main verb in this sentence is the "was looking". Think about the sequence of action ----
(a) Duke Ellington started composing some pieces
(b) Then, he realized, gee, I'm not going to have time to finish them
(c) Then, having realized that, he starts looking for someone to help him.

Thus, the "starting", way back at step (a), is well before (c), the action of the main verb of the sentence. That's why the (a)-action has to be in the past perfect.

My friend, always think about logic. People think SC is only about grammar, but the logic underlies the grammar and determines it.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2013, 23:21
mikemcgarry wrote:
targetdec31 wrote:
betterscore wrote:

Hi All,

Dear targetdec31,
In general, the past perfect is used to show one past action happened before another. The main verb in this sentence is the "was looking". Think about the sequence of action ----
(a) Duke Ellington started composing some pieces
(b) Then, he realized, gee, I'm not going to have time to finish them
(c) Then, having realized that, he starts looking for someone to help him.

Thus, the "starting", way back at step (a), is well before (c), the action of the main verb of the sentence. That's why the (a)-action has to be in the past perfect.

My friend, always think about logic. People think SC is only about grammar, but the logic underlies the grammar and determines it.

Dear Mike ,
Thanks for the prompt reply . Yes the sequence makes sense and is now clear to me .
But I had this misconception that if past perfect represents first action than 2nd action is in simple past .
Here 2nd action i.e. the main action is " was looking "and is in past continuous .
So the 2nd action can be in both Simple past and past continuous . Is my takeaway correct ?

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end -- Abraham Lincoln

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2444 [0], given: 33

Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 09:48
Expert's post
targetdec31 wrote:
Dear Mike ,
Thanks for the prompt reply . Yes the sequence makes sense and is now clear to me .
But I had this misconception that if past perfect represents first action than 2nd action is in simple past .
Here 2nd action i.e. the main action is " was looking "and is in past continuous .
So the 2nd action can be in both Simple past and past continuous . Is my takeaway correct ?

Dear targetdec31,
The past progressive is the formal name for what you are calling the "past continuous". See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-verbs ... ive-tense/
Yes, the progressive transformation of verbs changes whether the object was continuously happening, but it doesn't change the time sequence. Thus, if Past Action #1 happens before Past Action #2, then
Past Action #1 could be in the past perfect (had visited) or past perfect progressive (had been visiting)
Past Action #2 could be in the simple past (returned) or in the past progressive (was returning)
We can mix and match --- either #1 or #2 or both could be progressive, depending on the action. Whether either verb takes the progressive form or not does not change at all the fundamental relation of perfect-to-past.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 09-13-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 59

Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a [#permalink] New post 31 May 2014, 22:42
construction not only ... but also.... In this construction the clauses need to be parallel for example, not only subject verb, but also subject verb.

Remember that potential unused turns into pain. So dedicate yourself to expressing your best.

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 268

Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2014, 04:34
mikemcgarry wrote:
betterscore wrote:

In (B) we have
= but also mirror

In (C) we have
= but also to mirror

Hey Mike Lets suppose all are using the Not Only...but also correctly. Now do you think that in D and E that being someone and being someone correctly used.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2444 [1] , given: 33

Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2014, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
honchos wrote:
Hey Mike Lets suppose all are using the Not Only...but also correctly. Now do you think that in D and E that being someone and being someone correctly used.

Dear honchos,
I'm happy to respond. :-) In (D) and (E), the uses of the phrase "being someone" are pure trainwrecks. They are not just wrong: they are so bad that they deserve to be taken out back and shot. They are atrociously wrong. They are inexcusable and uncompromisingly irredeemable. There is nothing remotely good about them.

The correct structure is an appositive phrase, for which see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... e-phrases/
For this structure, the word "being" is entirely superfluous. The word "being" is most often incorrect when it appears on the GMAT SC. Its correct appearances are few and far between. Always be deeply suspicious of the word "being" when it appears.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 268

Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2014, 09:39
mikemcgarry wrote:
honchos wrote:

Dear honchos,
I'm happy to respond. :-) In (D) and (E), the uses of the phrase "being someone" are pure trainwrecks. They are not just wrong: they are so bad that they deserve to be taken out back and shot. They are atrociously wrong. They are inexcusable and uncompromisingly irredeemable. There is nothing remotely good about them.

The correct structure is an appositive phrase, for which see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... e-phrases/
For this structure, the word "being" is entirely superfluous. The word "being" is most often incorrect when it appears on the GMAT SC. Its correct appearances are few and far between. Always be deeply suspicious of the word "being" when it appears.

Yes boss infact the magoosh approach is very realistic and practical, I found e-gmat approach very theoretical and impractical for GMAT, which is a highly time sensitive exam.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2014, 09:39