Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 03:25 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [17]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [6]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake) [#permalink]
Kudos
I was waiting for this for too long. *excited*!

Gavriel from Israel soon turning 30.

Applying to R1, now working on my essays.

A little about myself:

Recently discharges intelligence officer, now a product manager at a 700 employees startup company.
B.Sc in computer science (GPA 3.3), M.A in government (cum laude).
GMAT 740, TOEFL 110.
Married+2.

Best of luck to everybody.
Let's make this dream come true!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake) [#permalink]
Kudos
This is it! :D
Applying on R1 as well, still studying for the GMAT- will take it on June 23rd :)
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10016 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Good luck everyone! Let the party begin.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10016 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Ready for 2020!
I’m happy to report that the application for the Class of 2020 is now live.

The application submission deadlines are:

MBA Class of 2020 Applicants
Round 1: September 6, 2017
Round 2: January 3, 2018
Round 3: April 2, 2018

2+2 Applicants
April 10, 2018

I’m also delighted to announce that HBS will now waive the $250 application fee for all active duty military applicants. You can read more about that update here.

The Admissions team will be traveling all over the world this summer to meet with you and chat about the MBA program. Please take a look at our Events page and fill out a “Getting Started” profile to be notified when we’re in your area.

Hope to see you soon!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
goidelg wrote:

A little about myself:

Recently discharges intelligence officer, now a product manager at a 700 employees startup company.
GMAT 740, TOEFL 110.
Married+2.

Hey Goidelg,

As a former US military officer with a similar background, I think you have great stats and would make an excellent candidate for HBS in particular. Just make sure you don't rest on your resume and instead really devote yourself to telling a compelling personal narrative that ties together your past inspirations and motivations, through HBS, to your future aspirations. If you can do that you should have an excellent shot at admission.

Best of luck! Hope to see you in Boston.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys, first post here. Just recently joined. Won't be applying for the normal MBA app, but am thinking of applying to the 2+2 program, since I'll be in my last year of undergrad (Electrical/Electronic engineering) starting Sept 2017. Currently on an internship at a Fortune 100 in the Silicon Valley, and will be joining it following my degree.

Small question, this is the first time I've looked at this whole application process in detail, so what would you guys suggest I start off with? I'm thinking of first studying for the GMAT and get as high score as possible (until September) and then focus on essays/LoR's and the application. Good strategy or would you suggest something else?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi guys,
All the best for the application process.

I am Vishrut from India & I'll be applying in R1.
Planning to pursue a double MBA from HBS; completed my first MBA from IIM Ahmedabad in 2014. I have three years of work experience in pharmaceutical industry.

Looking forward to connect with someone who is also gearing up for a double MBA this year.

All the best again :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
Vishrut1289 wrote:
Hi guys,
All the best for the application process.

I am Vishrut from India & I'll be applying in R1.
Planning to pursue a double MBA from HBS; completed my first MBA from IIM Ahmedabad in 2014. I have three years of work experience in pharmaceutical industry.

Looking forward to connect with someone who is also gearing up for a double MBA this year.

All the best again :)

Out of interest why are you going for another MBA?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
stickman wrote:
Hey guys, first post here. Just recently joined. Won't be applying for the normal MBA app, but am thinking of applying to the 2+2 program, since I'll be in my last year of undergrad (Electrical/Electronic engineering) starting Sept 2017. Currently on an internship at a Fortune 100 in the Silicon Valley, and will be joining it following my degree.

Small question, this is the first time I've looked at this whole application process in detail, so what would you guys suggest I start off with? I'm thinking of first studying for the GMAT and get as high score as possible (until September) and then focus on essays/LoR's and the application. Good strategy or would you suggest something else?

Hi stickman,

Its a good thing that you are thinking about business schools at such a young age. GMAT forms a very important part of the 2+2 application so definitely aim at a high score. However as HBS always recommends its 2+2 applicants "Start as early as possible". Although it may seem that the 2+2 deadline is really far away, these 10 months will run by very quickly. You can start your application now and just fill out some basic details about yourself. Further just start brainstorming for your essay, start thinking about who would you ask for your recommendations, work hard on your internships and try to be involved in some community services. Think about why do you need an MBA, your short term and long terms goals and how would HBS help you achieve them. It is very important to connect all the dots in your story before you apply. A lot will change in the next 2+ years, but having a bit more clarity on your options will certainly help you gain a lot more out of the time between now and the time you matriculate.

Hope this helps. All the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
rohan2345 wrote:
stickman wrote:

Hi stickman,

Its a good thing that you are thinking about business schools at such a young age. GMAT forms a very important part of the 2+2 application so definitely aim at a high score. However as HBS always recommends its 2+2 applicants "Start as early as possible". Although it may seem that the 2+2 deadline is really far away, these 10 months will run by very quickly. You can start your application now and just fill out some basic details about yourself. Further just start brainstorming for your essay, start thinking about who would you ask for your recommendations, work hard on your internships and try to be involved in some community services. Think about why do you need an MBA, your short term and long terms goals and how would HBS help you achieve them. It is very important to connect all the dots in your story before you apply. A lot will change in the next 2+ years, but having a bit more clarity on your options will certainly help you gain a lot more out of the time between now and the time you matriculate.

Hope this helps. All the best.

Agreed with the above statement. I personally would try to get the highest GMAT score you think you can get out of the way. Having the GMAT taken care of allows you to focus solely on the rest of your application.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
All - knowing how helpful this forum has been for me, I'll be checking in periodically to help out as much as I can. Feel free to post any questions here or PM me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi fellow HBS applicants!

I'm starting to work on the app and realized that the essay question/option to upload isn't available anywhere in the applicant portal (there isn't even an essay area like there is for recommendations, resume, extracurriculars etc).

Does anyone have any insight on where this would be since the application is fully live at this point?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Sustainability
GPA: 3.76
WE:Other (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Hi all! I'm applying to HBS Round 1, though still studying for the GMAT.. Taking it on August 19 after 2 attempts already (changed my study material from Veritas to Manhattan). I'm a prior enlisted female veteran (USAF) and it's my understanding that HBS, like many other top tier b-schools, are partial to officers so I've got my work cut out for me.

I'm a mother of 2 awesome kids and the lucky spouse of a very supportive hubby. Finally, looking to break into environmental sustainability through b-school. Good luck to everyone and hope to see you in Boston!

Posted from my mobile device

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JLyons wrote:
Hi all! I'm applying to HBS Round 1, though still studying for the GMAT.. Taking it on August 19 after 2 attempts already (changed my study material from Veritas to Manhattan). I'm a prior enlisted female veteran (USAF) and it's my understanding that HBS, like many other top tier b-schools, are partial to officers so I've got my work cut out for me.

I'm a mother of 2 awesome kids and the lucky spouse of a very supportive hubby. Finally, looking to break into environmental sustainability through b-school. Good luck to everyone and hope to see you in Boston!

Welcome to GMAT Club! Many Top schools take a number of Military and Officer candidates. You may want to visit this thread for Military Applicants: https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... 17779.html It is probably time for the next year's thread - feel free to start the 2018 one!

Edit. There is already the 2018 one: https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... 40848.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
NateFromHBS wrote:
goidelg wrote:

A little about myself:

GMAT 740, TOEFL 110.
Married+2.

Hey Goidelg,

As a former US military officer with a similar background, I think you have great stats and would make an excellent candidate for HBS in particular. Just make sure you don't rest on your resume and instead really devote yourself to telling a compelling personal narrative that ties together your past inspirations and motivations, through HBS, to your future aspirations. If you can do that you should have an excellent shot at admission.

Best of luck! Hope to see you in Boston.

Thanks mate! I am not resting on laurels and putting much effort on the application.
Best of luck! :-)
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
JLyons wrote:

HBS -- and other top programs in general -- doesn't care about whether an applicant was an officer or enlisted.

You see a disproportionate ratio of officers to enlisted at business schools because officers are more likely to view an MBA as their next career move post-EAS and as such they apply to business schools in much larger numbers than enlisted personnel.

Additionally, officers are more likely to have academic backgrounds that make them competitive for admission to MBA programs -- i.e. strong GMAT/GRE scores and solid GPAs from highly-regarded undergraduate programs.

If you were to control for those factors I'd wager that admission rates for, say, E-5s vs. O-3s are essentially identical.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
JLyons wrote:

Hey JLyons -- I'd say that HBS loves veterans, not just military officers. Sure there are not nearly as many prior enlisted walking around HBS (I know a few), but that makes well-situated applicants like you who know how to effectively communicate their story all the more attractive to the admissions committee. I would wear your prior service proudly in the application process! You've overcome a lot more to get to the point of applying than a lot of vets like me who went to OCS, or the ones who went to a service academy.

My wife (also HBS) and I also used Manhattan- GMAT and GRE prep books to get 99+ percentile scores on each respectively, so you're using the right stuff. Now it's all in the tricks you use to get the most out of the studying, and performing at your best on test day. Happy to help!

What are your details otherwise (undergrad, major, etc)? Feel free to share in a PM if private.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  35   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts