It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 20:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 12

GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 720 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.37
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 20:22
kmwantstogoschool wrote:
Given my almost unknown undergraduate school in India and my age and demographic I literally have NO chances, its tragically heroic the way my heart is hopeful. Worst part is I have spent the past 3/4 days obsessing instead of focusing on 2 other apps at places where I have a shot. How do I push this to the back of my mind and work on the relevant apps.

God I know how you feel. HBS application was such a long shot it feels like setting 250 bucks on fire. Still - can't help feeling hopeful for the impossible. Need to reality check my mind before October 2

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 12

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [2], given: 3

Schools: HBS '20 (I)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.75
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 08:42
This post received
KUDOS
artihcs wrote:
kmwantstogoschool wrote:
Given my almost unknown undergraduate school in India and my age and demographic I literally have NO chances, its tragically heroic the way my heart is hopeful. Worst part is I have spent the past 3/4 days obsessing instead of focusing on 2 other apps at places where I have a shot. How do I push this to the back of my mind and work on the relevant apps.

God I know how you feel. HBS application was such a long shot it feels like setting 250 bucks on fire. Still - can't help feeling hopeful for the impossible. Need to reality check my mind before October 2

I think beyond all this we need to remind ourselves that HBS is not the be all, end all. I'd be the first to admit it's not that easy though...

I just keep on reminding myself that even Warren Buffett faced a Harvard rejection.

Kudos [?]: 2 [2], given: 3

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 10:15
Hey team,

I wanted to get some opinions. Harvard's Military Prospective Student Day is on October 2nd. I originally planned to attend, but I am having second thoughts b/c of the announcements. I am a bit worried that if I don't hear back on Oct. 2nd, I wont be in the best mood to network. Also, don't know if the trip/event is worth the expense, since I submitted my application in Round 1.

What do you guys think? Should I attend the event?

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 144 [1], given: 5

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 12:44
This post received
KUDOS
dwenzeo07 wrote:
Hey team,

I wanted to get some opinions. Harvard's Military Prospective Student Day is on October 2nd. I originally planned to attend, but I am having second thoughts b/c of the announcements. I am a bit worried that if I don't hear back on Oct. 2nd, I wont be in the best mood to network. Also, don't know if the trip/event is worth the expense, since I submitted my application in Round 1.

MPSD is absolutely worthwhile if you can swing the leave and money to go.

The current students, alums, & applicants you'll meet -- and the information you'll gain from the day -- will be valuable regardless of what school you end up attending.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/
Admissions Consulting for Veterans, by Veterans

Kudos [?]: 144 [1], given: 5

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.94
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 17:27
EDIT: Hoping the interview dates in key cities fit my schedule.

Last edited by propertyofbear on 02 Oct 2017, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 09:29
Applied and fingers crossed for an interview.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 41 [1], given: 5

GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 11:28
This post received
KUDOS
dwenzeo07 wrote:
Hey team,

It's definitely worth your time to go. Veterans are their own unique subset of the class with their own issues and concerns, so it's best to get your information straight from the source. Good luck on interviews!

Best,
Nate

IvyAdmissionsGroup.com | Want to know your odds of admission? Get our free assessment here.

Apply to business school like you're running for office. You're the candidate. We're your campaign managers.

Kudos [?]: 41 [1], given: 5

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 5

GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 11:36
Hey everyone -- best of luck to those who applied Round 1 8-) and are looking forward to interview invitations :oops: . It's never too early to start preparing as the ones at HBS in particular are famous for their rigor. To that end, I want to share a post my admissions consultant partner just put up on IvyAdmissionsGroup that you all here might find helpful.

How to Ace the MBA Interview

So you've submitted your application and now you finally have time to start thinking about interview prep. If you've applied to Harvard Business School you're anxiously awaiting the hear back from the Admissions Committee October 2nd and 5th to see if you received an interview invite. How can you best prepare for the interview?

1. Start now

Don't make the mistake of thinking that you should wait to see if you receive an interview invite before you start preparing. Sometimes the earliest turnaround between receiving an interview and the actual interview date is two weeks! Instead, use some of the downtime now to start preparing and rehearsing for the interview. Understand which kind of interview you will have (student, alumni, or Admissions Committee) and do you research on what to expect.

2. Know your application inside and out

Your entire application is fair game. The Admissions Committee may end up spending five minutes on one of the interests you listed on your resume, or the project you completed junior year of college. Make sure you can talk intelligently about what you did, what you learned, and what the impact was. More than anything, the Admissions Committee is going to want to know why. Why did you do what you did?

3. Be concise

What the Admissions Committee is really testing for is to see if you will be a good contributor to the case method in a classroom setting. Will you be able to clearly and concisely communicate your thoughts in a way that is easily understood by your fellow classmates? if you haven't practiced for the interview, you're more likely to start rambling and not getting to the point. Since the entire interview is only 30 minutes, it's to your best advantage to get across as much information about yourself in the time allotted.

4. Rehearse out loud

Continuing the theme of being concise, you won't really know how good your answers are until you practice them out out loud, preferably in front of a friend. Sometimes what we say in our head or have written down comes across poorly or stilted when we actually try to say it. Also, practicing out loud will make you feel more comfortable and relaxed the day of. Interviewing is a skill that can be practiced.

5. Film yourself

If you know your application inside and out, know what points you want to get across, and have rehearsed out loud, the next step is to film yourself. This process is unpleasant for most people, but is often where you can gain the most. Film yourself either conducting a mock interview with a friend, or just saying your answers into the camera. When you re-watch the film, pay attention to a few things -- how do you look? Nervous? Listen to your tone -- do you have up-speak? Do you sound confident? Are you fidgeting? What are you doing with your hands? When we're so focused on what we're saying, we often lose track of these things, but they can have a big impact on the impression you make on the interviewer.

Work with us and get the best HBS interview prep on the market!

Best,
Nate

IvyAdmissionsGroup.com | Want to know your odds of admission? Get our free assessment here.

Apply to business school like you're running for office. You're the candidate. We're your campaign managers.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 12

GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.32

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 12:54
Does anyone know in what hour (say, UTC) HBS are starting to roll out the invitations this Monday?
Is there any specific order? I submitted the application quite a while and my surname begins with a G. Does it mean anything?

Not nervous at all here.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 12

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18006 [0], given: 1988

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 12:59
Does anyone have any idea on the ratio of the interviews issued in wave 1 vs wave 2? I always thought wave 1 had the majority of invites but I won’t be surprised if I am wrong (and glad actually!)

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18006 [0], given: 1988

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Schools: CBS '20 (S)

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 20:19
souvik101990 wrote:
Does anyone have any idea on the ratio of the interviews issued in wave 1 vs wave 2? I always thought wave 1 had the majority of invites but I won’t be surprised if I am wrong (and glad actually!)

HBS states the purpose is to spread traffic on the sign-up page. If so, splitting interview invites 50-50 makes the most sense i think

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 3

Concentration: International Business, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.53
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 04:18
Based on what I read, the first release of interview invite 2/3 years ago had a higher percentage.
Not everyone will immediately sign-up for interviews on Oct.2 due to work/schedule issues.
Some people might delay sign-ups til Oct. 5 or later, thus a 70-30 or 60-40 ratio is more reasonable for me.
In any case, 1 day to go. :D

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 13:43
EBM wrote:
dwenzeo07 wrote:
Hey team,

MPSD is absolutely worthwhile if you can swing the leave and money to go.

The current students, alums, & applicants you'll meet -- and the information you'll gain from the day -- will be valuable regardless of what school you end up attending.

Thank you! I decided to attend. Really appreciate the advice.

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 14:07
Anyone excited yet? Less than a day to go!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

GRE 1: 334 Q170 V164
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 18:34
anotherchicken wrote:
Anyone excited yet? Less than a day to go!

I can feel anticipation and a tinge of fear. Everything is possible at this point. After tomorrow, the possibilities diminish...

Intern
Intern
B

GRE 1: 334 Q170 V164
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 18:35
Any insight on what time they email invites?

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 19:09
This post received
KUDOS
webster7 wrote:
Any insight on what time they email invites?

Looking through their direct from the director blogs it was noon ET in the past. I imagine its the same now.

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 0

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [3], given: 3

Concentration: International Business, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 21:05
This post received
KUDOS
It should be around 12noon based on the information from 2/3 years ago.
So 12 hours to go guys!!
Doing my best to manage expectations. :)

Posting here the admissions blog information from 2/3 years ago FYI.
Attachments

IMG_5278.PNG
IMG_5278.PNG [ 316.91 KiB | Viewed 3010 times ]

IMG_5277.PNG
IMG_5277.PNG [ 337.8 KiB | Viewed 3017 times ]

Kudos [?]: 35 [3], given: 3

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 38

Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.6
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 05:26
I'm thankful to have meetings until 1pm EST today. That way I won't be checking every 5 min! But unfortunately it also means I will probably miss the party. Hope we can get a chat room opened for noon for the rest of you!

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 38

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 05:30
I'm currently EST+9, I think I'm going to take a nap till its 2pm EST

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2017, 05:30

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  21    Next  [ 402 posts ] 

Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: ydmuley

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap