GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 03:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • MBA Interview Prep: How to Ace Your Interviews

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

Learn the steps you need to take to ace your interviews and get accepted!
  • Advice For Applicants Considering Round 2

November 16, 2018

November 16, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

Many of you may be wondering whether you should pull the trigger and apply to business school during round 2 this winter.

Calling all MIT LGO Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Sloan MIT Thread Master
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q53 V36
GRE 1: Q170 V161
GPA: 3.65
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Calling all MIT LGO Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Sep 2018, 20:21

Welcome all prospective LGO applicants. Use this thread to share updates, discuss application strategies with fellow applicants

Add MIT Sloan to your profile

RoundDeadlineLGO Decisions Released
Round OneSeptember 25, 2017December 19, 2017
Round TwoDecember 4, 2017March 2, 2018

Originally posted by sunnysourav on 08 Aug 2018, 08:00.
Last edited by DigitsnLetters on 05 Sep 2018, 20:21, edited 3 times in total.
Official LGO discussion
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: MIT-LGO '21 (S)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Re: Calling all MIT LGO Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 19:46
Hey there, future LGOs! Looking forward to going through the application and interview process with you all.

Anyone planning on attending LGO Preview Day?
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT-LGO '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.67

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 16:40
Hi Applicants!

I was LGO class of 2016. I'm here because I thought I could be useful. This forum provided me with some comfort (and discomfort) during my journey.

Let me know how I can help!
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.85
WE: Design (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 01:42
Blairsan wrote:
Hi Applicants!

I was LGO class of 2016. I'm here because I thought I could be useful. This forum provided me with some comfort (and discomfort) during my journey.

The million dollar question: who should apply for the LGO program? Having experienced the program firsthand, who do you think are best suited for the LGO program?

12345aBcDeFgHiJkLmNoPqRsTuVwXyZ67890

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Schools: Sloan '21
GPA: 3.7
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 03:16
Hello everyone:

I am applying for the MS Mechanical Engineering - Manufacturing track.
I am racing to meet the Round 1 deadline.
Profile:

GRE - Q: 159; V: 154
GPA - 3.7/4.0
Major - Mechanical Engineering (BEng); Petroleum Engineering (MSc) ; Railway Engineering (MSc)
W/E - 4 year solid experience as an operations engineer in the transport and energy heavy industries.
LGO Focus - Supply chain process optimization.
Age - 28 (at the time of 2019 enrollment).
Recommenders: 1 LGO Alumnus (Mentor / Boss); 1 Academic each from Mechanical and Railway Projects.

Any Tips on the cover letter and essays? Also, any comments on my gre scores?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 21:15
Blairsan wrote:
Hi Applicants!

Thanks for helping out!
Is there a limit/cap on how many classes (MBA and/or Engineering) an LGO student can take? How flexible is this cap? Can you petition to take more of one?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 14:23
DigitsnLetters wrote:
Blairsan wrote:
Hi Applicants!

The million dollar question: who should apply for the LGO program? Having experienced the program firsthand, who do you think are best suited for the LGO program?

Hello!

Sorry to take so long to get back! I figured this thing would send me an email if someone posted. I was wrong (or I did something wrong).

Sounds more like the $150 K question, according to my remaining debt. I'd say a generic answer is people who are engineers (by trade or by degree). However, I was one of two people who were neither. In my class, there was one physics major and one neuroscience major (me). I have heard rumors that they now only admit people with engineering degrees. But you'll have to confirm that one.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 14:27
Nugget22 wrote:
Blairsan wrote:
Hi Applicants!

Thanks for helping out!
Is there a limit/cap on how many classes (MBA and/or Engineering) an LGO student can take? How flexible is this cap? Can you petition to take more of one?

I don't remember ever butting up against any caps, but here's the answer to what I think is the spirit of your question. Yes, you can do whatever you want to do, so long as you meet the minimum requirements. It's MIT. The land of hacking your destiny. At one point, I petitioned to create my own engineering credit. The only reason it didn't work out was because of my own motivation to see it through. It was a topic in which I had no experience, and I prioritized other opportunities.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 14:33
Thanks for your help, Blairsan!

What advice would you give a prospective whose undergrad GPA is below the class profile average? Do you know of past admits with lower undergrad GPAs and how they might have compensated in other parts of their profile? Thanks!

Blairsan wrote:
Hi Applicants!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 09:44
Thanks for this information Blairsan-

I have a couple more questions on the different Engineering disciplines: I am assuming you take the core engineering classes with your LGO team (and the rest of the Engineering school students) but the remainder of the degree-specific required classes would only be taken with the LGO students who share your major. Do many students take or audit extra classes, or is there simply not enough time? I am currently debating between the MechE and ChemE disciplines. I am curious to know how the dynamics would be for each because the number of MechE LGOs seem to far outnumbers the number of ChemE LGOs.

Also, how does the internship pairing and assignment happen? Does the program pair you with a sponsor that has projects related to your major, do you have a say in the matter, etc?

Additionally, is there anything you wish you knew before you applied? Was there anything that was a surprise for you- during your applications/interviews/your first couple months in the program, etc?
Thanks again!

Blairsan wrote:
Nugget22 wrote:
Blairsan wrote:
Hi Applicants!

Thanks for helping out!

I don't remember ever butting up against any caps, but here's the answer to what I think is the spirit of your question. Yes, you can do whatever you want to do, so long as you meet the minimum requirements. It's MIT. The land of hacking your destiny. At one point, I petitioned to create my own engineering credit. The only reason it didn't work out was because of my own motivation to see it through. It was a topic in which I had no experience, and I prioritized other opportunities.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 16:04
SohCahToa wrote:
Thanks for your help, Blairsan!

What advice would you give a prospective whose undergrad GPA is below the class profile average? Do you know of past admits with lower undergrad GPAs and how they might have compensated in other parts of their profile? Thanks!

Blairsan wrote:
Hi Applicants!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

I'd think about your GMAT / GRE score and GPA as an interchangeable component. If one is good, then I think the other can slip a little. My GPA was ok, but my GMAT was below average. There are many other variables in your application.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 16:17
Merp. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

Re: MechE vs ChemE. I think you're right. I remember there being many more opportunities for MechE. I remember the ChemE guy struggling a bit. He took on a huge engineering load.

Re: Internship. There's a pairing mechanism not unlike med school residency pairings. I believe the algorithm was built by a student. From what I remember, you rank your choices, and the partner companies rank you. The best combinations win. You can apply to any internship you're qualified for. For me, I was a systems engineer, so there's no way I could take something in ChemE, for example. There are a boatload of opportunities for MechE.

Re: Regrets or things I wish I knew. I'm personally struggling a lot with my student loans. Even with the nice fellowships we receive, I started the next chapter of my life $160 K in debt. That's a significant lean on your sense of freedom. Nothing seems quite as fun when you feel like you HAVE to work. I feel the grip loosening a bit.

Also, you will feel separate from the Sloan crowd. You will try to fight it, but it's somewhat inevitable, though a couple people were exceptions. This was a positive and...not negative, but you get the idea. Having a tight group of 50 people (there's a bunch of us planning a pirate ship cruise in Seattle for Labor Day weekend) is...well...what life is all about. LGO is a crucible. It will change you.

Re: Surprises. Maybe that I was accepted? I didn't consider myself a strong candidate going in. Though my confidence grew, I was neither an engineer or an alum of a top university (I was University of Washington, which is great, but isn't Princeton). By the time I submitted my application, I was so committed that I knew I would receive an acceptance. Get there. Spend time on campus. Show up to classes. Talk to students. Get tons of feedback on your application. If your brain goes to "that sounds like a lot of work," rather than "tell me more ways I can get a leg up!" It may be a slog.

Know WHY you want to get into MIT.
BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2018, 00:49
Attention LGO applicants!

If you are unsure whether you have to fill undergraduate funding breakup or tentative funding breakup of your LGO program in the Student Funding tab of the application, then the answer to that is you have to provide the breakup of your undergraduate funding. More details are available here

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2018, 16:17
For the "optional" essay, does anyone plan on submitting a 2:00 video in lieu of a written essay (500 words or less)? Do the same requirements as the 1:00 video statement (single take, no editing, speaking directly to camera) apply here? Thanks!

Quote:
The MIT LGO Admissions Committee invites you to share additional information on ONE of the following questions below using any format. You can use this space to tell us more about your passions for analytical projects, engineering innovations, or problem solving. If you make a video or other multimedia, keep it limited to 2:00 minutes total in length. If you use a multimedia presentation, please follow the instructions in the admissions system.
Tell us about a recent technical problem you faced at work. How did you solve the problem?
What was your most challenging project or accomplishment from your previous studies? How did you work on this project and what made it rewarding for you?
Please keep written essay to 500 words or less.
BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 17:50

Sloan has added the Student Funding details in the LGO applications. Can you confirm that you are able to see the instructions about undergraduate funding clearly? I checked and found it there. No ambiguity remains now :-)

Current Student
S
Schools: MIT-LGO '19 (M)

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 20:15
Can someone please change the title of this thread to “Class of 2021”? That’s the correct class designation for the 2019 intake.
BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 20:22
ADC4 wrote:
Can someone please change the title of this thread to “Class of 2021”? That’s the correct class designation for the 2019 intake.

Done! Thanks for pointing it out. :-)

Sloan MIT Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 03:55
DigitsnLetters wrote:

Sloan has added the Student Funding details in the LGO applications. Can you confirm that you are able to see the instructions about undergraduate funding clearly? I checked and found it there. No ambiguity remains now :-)

Yes, but tab on student funding was already there since the start of the application. However, there isn't anything regarding the LGO funding breakup.
Sloan MIT Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 04:13
Blairsan wrote:
Hi Applicants!

Hi Blairsan,

I am planning on applying to LGO with Operations Research Track. However, most of the students profile I have encountered with the SM in ORC are highly inclined to either applied mathematics or BS in operations research. With a bachelors degree in Mining and Mineral Engineering hurt my chances of applying to SM in ORC and thus LGO? Does the requirements for LGO applicants to other engineering degree programs more flexible than SM's?

Also, I am an international applicant and therefore my GPA is not on the scale of 4. How do they compare with similar applicants with a GPA on a scale of 4? Also is it a low GPA to be considered?

GPA - 8.56/10.0 Class Rank -3
GRE- Q-170, V-160
AWA-5

Thanks
BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 20:15
sunnysourav wrote:
DigitsnLetters wrote:

Yes, but tab on student funding was already there since the start of the application. However, there isn't anything regarding the LGO funding breakup.

The student funding tab was always there, but there was some confusion earlier regarding what to fill in the boxes. Check out this link for more clarity: https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-mit-sloan-mba-applicants-2019-intake-class-of-267448.html#p2123053

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all MIT LGO Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021! &nbs [#permalink] 09 Sep 2018, 20:15

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 79 posts ] 

Calling all MIT LGO Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap