GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 22:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!

new topic post reply Update application status  
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.85
WE: Design (Energy and Utilities)
Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Aug 2018, 08:21
Add HBS to your profile

Harvard Business School (HBS)
Class of 2021 (2019 Intake)

Dear prospective HBS MBA applicants,

Welcome to the Class of 2021 discussion
:-)

Use this platform to know each other, build a network, exchange ideas/information, discuss application strategies, share interview & school visit experiences, and boost one another's morale to face the tough admission process.

HBS Application Deadlines

Round 1

Application Deadline: September 5, 2018
Final Decision Notification: December 11, 2018

Round 2

Application Deadline: January 4, 2019
Final Decision Notification: March 26, 2019

*Note: Applications need to be submitted online by 12 noon Boston time.

Attention: There are TWO rounds Only for the Class of 2021! Applications received after September 5, 2018 will be considered in Round 2. Applications received after January 4, 2019 will NOT be considered.

Find the HBS MBA Class of 2019 Class Profile here and additional statistics here

Feel free to post your queries, opinions, and experiences. Also, please keep updating the Decision Tracker.

Let's do it together! Wish you a fruitful applications season!

12345aBcDeFgHiJkLmNoPqRsTuVwXyZ67890

Originally posted by DigitsnLetters on 06 Jun 2018, 13:14.
Last edited by Narenn on 15 Aug 2018, 08:21, edited 2 times in total.
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Aug 2018, 06:15
Continuing it's legacy, HBS has just question for the MBA Class of 2021:

As we review your application, what more would you like us to know as we consider your candidacy for the Harvard Business School MBA program?

Advice from the Admissions committee: There is no word limit for this question. We think you know what guidance we're going to give here. Don't overthink, overcraft and overwrite. Just answer the question in clear language that those of us who don't know your world can understand.

Joint program applicants for the Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Harvard Law School, and Harvard Kennedy School must provide an additional essay:

How do you expect the joint degree experience to benefit you on both a professional and a personal level? (400 words)

Essay Analysis by: Personal MBA Coach | mbaMission | Stacy Blackman | Expartus

Originally posted by DigitsnLetters on 06 Jun 2018, 13:17.
Last edited by Narenn on 13 Aug 2018, 06:15, edited 2 times in total.
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 13:23
Here's the excerpt from "Director from the Director" page regarding changes in the MBA application process:

15 MAY 2018

News About Rounds for the Class of 2021

After careful consideration, we have decided to focus our MBA application process on two rounds — with deadlines in September and January — and to focus our spring round on 2+2 applications.

Why are we making this change? We want to make the enrollment experience as smooth as possible for incoming students.

Getting a decision earlier will give admitted students better access to on-campus housing, more cohort options for HBX CORe, and more time for visa processing. For students admitted in Round 3 in the past, the timing has always been tight. We know it takes a lot to finish up a job and move to a new city (!) and we hope the additional time will be helpful to admits on a number of fronts.

And given that we’ve seen more applicants in Rounds 1 and 2 and fewer in Round 3 in recent years, this change feels consistent with the choices you are making about when to apply.

For these reasons, Round 3 will no longer be an option. The spring “2+2 Round” for college seniors seeking deferred admission will remain.

So, mark your calendars! To be considered for the Harvard Business School Class of 2021, you need to apply in either Round 1 (September 5, 2018) or Round 2 (January 4, 2019). We have no preference between the two rounds — truly. We hope that you will apply to HBS!

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 18:41
In!
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 20:39
Please share experience

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 22:43
In for R1. Good luck to everyone!
BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 03:28
viveknegi wrote:
Please share experience

What experience are you enquiring about mate?

Manager
Manager
S
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 17:50

Advice from the HBS class of 2018

Good luck to everyone applying! Just wanted to share some advice I got from the outgoing class hopefully y'all will replace. It might not help you write better essays, but it will definitely make you wiser.

Ditch imposter syndrome

Many people at Harvard suffer from imposter syndrome; they worry that they were admissions mistakes. The truth is that life is too short for such self-doubt and that no one really “deserves” the benefits of the program. Instead of worrying about cosmic fairness in your admission, focus instead of living your life so that you are worthy of the gifts you are give.

Whiteboard your priorities

The currents at HBS are strong. Career events are geared to push you towards consulting and investment banking, the social hierarchy pushes you to rack up large bills drinking and traveling, and the curriculum implicitly pushes you to value higher paying jobs. If you don’t set your heading before you embark on your HBS journey, they will take you out to sea. To keep yourself on track, purchase a white board and stick somewhere in your apartment where you will see it every day. On the whiteboard, write down your 1-3 priorities for the coming year. As you consider whether to attend a lecture, social event, or weekend trip, check the opportunity against your criteria. If it doesn’t match, then decline with confidence.

Timebox your activities

If you plan on spending one hour on a case, pull out a stop watch and set it for 60 minutes. When it goes off, wherever you are in your reading or analysis, stop! There is always more work to do, more things to read. If you don’t put open-ended tasks into boxes they will eat up all the time you’re saving for other valuable activities.

Embrace unlearning

We all come with prejudices and misconceptions. Lean into experiences where you find your view challenged and when you find that they are wrong, change them!

There are a bunch more here that I had to cut for space, but feel free to check them out too. Good luck on this journey! In the end, it is absolutely worth it.

Best,
Nate

IvyAdmissionsGroup.com | Want to know your odds of admission? Get our free assessment here.

Apply to business school like you're running for office. You're the candidate. We're your campaign managers.

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 06:22
NateFromHBS wrote:
Good luck to everyone applying! Just wanted to share some advice I got from the outgoing class hopefully y'all will replace. It might not help you write better essays, but it will definitely make you wiser.

Thank you NateFromHBS for your advice and insights. We look forward to more precious insights and tips from you :-)

Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 08:28
Hi all -

As I have some clients already in the thick of their HBS essay work, I thought I would pass along some advice: when HBS asks "what more would you like us to know," the key word is "more." Meaning that they aren't looking for you to repeat information they can already find elsewhere in your materials. This is a chance to fill in the blanks for them and get more personal. Tell them what drives you, important moments from your past that shaped you, WHY you have the goals you do, WHY you've made the career moves you've made -- stuff like that. Rehashing accomplishments or explaining "why HBS" (something they have literally never asked in any year) is likely to bore them and result in a ding.

They are looking to be moved or to be curious enough about you that they MUST meet you via an interview.

Also, resist the temptation to write a long essay. HBS has always valued succinct communication. If you're stretching past 1200 words, you're doing it wrong.

Hope that helps and best of luck to all!

I've been an admissions consultant with Stacy Blackman Consulting since 2008. I went to Harvard Business School for my MBA and Michigan Ross for my BBA. I have helped clients gain acceptance into all of the top programs and am a big believer in letting your voice and your personality shine through in your application materials. Best of luck!

Interested in a free 30-minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Erika Olson | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2018, 02:26
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
Hi all -

As I have some clients already in the thick of their HBS essay work, I thought I would pass along some advice: when HBS asks "what more would you like us to know," the key word is "more." Meaning that they aren't looking for you to repeat information they can already find elsewhere in your materials. This is a chance to fill in the blanks for them and get more personal. Tell them what drives you, important moments from your past that shaped you, WHY you have the goals you do, WHY you've made the career moves you've made -- stuff like that. Rehashing accomplishments or explaining "why HBS" (something they have literally never asked in any year) is likely to bore them and result in a ding.

They are looking to be moved or to be curious enough about you that they MUST meet you via an interview.

Also, resist the temptation to write a long essay. HBS has always valued succinct communication. If you're stretching past 1200 words, you're doing it wrong.

Hope that helps and best of luck to all!

Thank you Erika for the helpful advice :thumbup: I feel that's a nice starting point you have given. We applicants can start brainstorming on those lines to create an initial draft. :-)

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 23:30
In! :idontknow:
BSchool Thread Master
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2018, 02:21
I wish everyone all the best in their applications! Harvard is the dream.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2018, 20:36
Just graduated from hbs 2018 and wanted to pay it forward. Feel free to post and comment with questions and queries on my blog and Instagram

Blog: http://atych00.wordpress.com
IG handle: Atych00

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 03:05
addictedk89 wrote:
Just graduated from hbs 2018

Yuhuuu! :student_man: That calls for a big celebration! :grin: Cheers! (Damn! No champagne emojis?! :shocked)

addictedk89 wrote:
wanted to pay it forward. Feel free to post and comment with questions and queries on my blog and Instagram

Blog: http://atych00.wordpress.com
IG handle: Atych00

Thank you. Will get in touch with you for some pro-insights :-)

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GMAT 2: 780 Q49 V51
GPA: 3.73
WE: Other (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 12:01
In for R1, looking forward to any advice and support through the process. Good luck to everyone!
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 22:14
DZAR01 wrote:
In for R1, looking forward to any advice and support through the process. Good luck to everyone!

Your GMAT score is outstanding! Could you tell us more about your professional background?

And I would say this to everyone here. Come forward, introduce yourself to fellow applicants, share your post MBA aspirations and motivations to apply for HBS MBA. I am sure a fruitful exchange of ideas and positive dialogue with co-applicants will help everyone immensely in your own essays.

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 05:48
Everyone, my GPA is just a 3.3. However, my GMAT is 770 and I have a strong career path in addition to strong extra EC. Do you know of anyone who had a sub 3.3 and got into Harvard?
BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 07:19
Avi2017 wrote:
Everyone, my GPA is just a 3.3. However, my GMAT is 770 and I have a strong career path in addition to strong extra EC. Do you know of anyone who had a sub 3.3 and got into Harvard?

Well, you will find many peeps who would have got in with such stats. Harvard is one school which looks holistically at your application and if you are worth, you will definitely make it through!

Coming to our concern: my understanding is that you have already offset any doubts that the admissions committee would have about your quantitative aptitude with your superb GMAT. If you still feel that you can justify the low GPA, bring it out in your essay and add what you learnt from it. But, if your career path is as strong as you say, I don't think you will require the justification. I suggest you work hard on your essays and give the admissions committee irresistible information about you, something that would make them fall in love with you and that they won't even care for your GPA. :crazy: Hope this helps. :-) All the best :thumbup:

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 08:26
DigitsnLetters wrote:
Avi2017 wrote:

Well, you will find many peeps who would have got in with such stats. Harvard is one school which looks holistically at your application and if you are worth, you will definitely make it through!

Coming to our concern: my understanding is that you have already offset any doubts that the admissions committee would have about your quantitative aptitude with your superb GMAT. If you still feel that you can justify the low GPA, bring it out in your essay and add what you learnt from it. But, if your career path is as strong as you say, I don't think you will require the justification. I suggest you work hard on your essays and give the admissions committee irresistible information about you, something that would make them fall in love with you and that they won't even care for your GPA. :crazy: Hope this helps. :-) All the best :thumbup:

Oh wow thanks a lot!!! I'll try my best. Do you recommend an admission consultant? Who is the best one in your opinion?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021! &nbs [#permalink] 03 Jul 2018, 08:26

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13    Next  [ 243 posts ] 

Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap