GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 21:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
B
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 10:28
Hi there - I'm an HBS alum (just went back for my 15(!!!)-year reunion) and an admissions consultant at Stacy Blackman Consulting.

Before school starts you will have START week, which is not based on your section and therefore you'll interact with a ton of new classmates. The year-long FIELD experience also will put you in small cross-section groups that change over the course of a year. You are with your section (I was Section A... aka The A-Team) for all case-based classes during your first year. But you will of course meet a ton of other people outside of your section through events, clubs, conferences, going to speakers, friends-of-friends, and many many many social activities.

Then in your second year you take electives, so you will be with whoever is in the classes you select, across all sections.

So in short, you are going to get to know and meet many many many people outside of your section. Guaranteed.

Did I get to know all 900 people in my graduating class? No. But do I think I got to know MORE people very well than I would've in a smaller graduating-class size? Yes. My BEST friends are from my section, but I didn't feel the section experience limiting in any way. And even to this day, if I come into contact or reach out to someone in my graduating class who I didn't necessarily know back at school, we still have many mutual friends and that overall shared experience that bonds us.

Hope that helps!

SamuelWitwicky wrote:
A quick question for any Harvard alumni or anyone that has an answer to this: The MBA intake is about 1000+. Your section is ~90 people and labelled alphabetically (based on what was shared in the last info session I went). I'm under the impression that you would only interact with those in your section. Under what circumstances would you mix with students from other sections?

I've been an admissions consultant with Stacy Blackman Consulting since 2008. I went to Harvard Business School for my MBA and Michigan Ross for my BBA. I have helped clients gain acceptance into all of the top programs and am a big believer in letting your voice and your personality shine through in your application materials. Best of luck!

Interested in a free 30-minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Erika Olson | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com

Director
Director
B
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2018, 21:55
Top Contributor
DigitsnLetters wrote:
HBS Application Deadlines

Round 1

Application Deadline: September 5, 2018
Final Decision Notification: December 11, 2018

Round 2

Application Deadline: January 4, 2019
Final Decision Notification: March 26, 2019

I want to apply for PHD program of Accounting. Is the deadline same for me?

Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Manager
Manager
S
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 17:27
If you're planning to apply to the joint degree program between HBS and Harvard Kennedy School of Government, remember that after you submit your application to HBS (checking the box noting your interest in the joint program) on 5 September 2018, you need to separately apply on the HKS portal as well by 3 December 2018. There's only one admissions deadline for HKS to don't miss it! The HKS application is an entirely different beast than the MBA applications so make sure you use that extra time wisely! For those considering the joint degree program, check out this advice handed down from the graduating HBS/HKS class:

How to succeed in the HBS/HKS Joint Degree Program

Commonly known as “Jointees,” the students in the joint degree programs at Harvard Kennedy School and Harvard Business school are united in their desire to affect change in both business and in government. Their experience moving between two Harvard schools presents a unique set of opportunities and challenges, and each year the third year jointees pass on their wisdom to the classes below them. Some of the piece of advice agree, others conflict, but they are all born out of three years of lived experience.

Work on improving your influence – The “core curriculum” at HKS and the “Required Curriculum” at HBS both help you understand and analyze problems on the firm, industry, and systemic level. However, you be successful, you still need to convince others how to change, the benefits of change, and the imperative to change. Use your time outside of class to grow in this area.

Speak to the unconverted – once you have learned how to solve global challenges and have developed the tools to be convincing, make sure to break out of the echo chamber and speak to those who do not agree with you. That’s the only way to make change.

Take "fierce control" over your education – You only have three years to explore two schools in which someone could spend a lifetime. Don’t count on the distribution requirements to show you everything worth exploring. If you find yourself over committed, talk to HKS professors about not submitting assignments. After all, grades here really don’t matter.

Invest in people – People are what will make your educational experience and people are what you’ll take away from the school after you graduate. Determine who you want to stay friends with in 10 years, and spend time with them!

Don’t be a bleeding heart – The rest of HBS will expect you, as a jointee, to be a bleeding heart, always reflexively advocating for government regulation and against business enterprise. Don’t fall into that trap. As soon as you do, people will anticipate your opinions, see your views as biased, and stop listening to them. By instead trusting that others will fill those roles early in the term, you can save your credibly (and that of all jointees) to advance social arguments later on when the lines are blurrier and the stakes are higher.

(or) Be a bleeding heart! – Someone has to do it.

Be proud of your story – Own it and learn to tell it well.

Make special time for other jointees – they will be your best partners, champions, friends, and resources.

Save your ammo for the last third of class – some of your peers at HKS will villainize the private sector and some at HBS believe that government is unnecessary. Jointees know that the public and private sectors need to work together (and with the non-profit sector) to tackle the “great challenges” in the world. You usually only get to make one comment per class session, so save your airtime for the end so you can correct your peers when they say otherwise.

Pick your PAE client carefully – As a Master in Public Policy (MPP)* candidate you’ll have to complete HKS’s thesis-like Policy Analysis Exercise (PAE) in which you will work with a client to deliver a policy deliverable. Pick someone who communicates clearly, understands your limitations, and will value your work. If the work is interesting, the client relates to your post-graduation goals, and the experience broadens your personal network, that’s a plus.

Pick your PAE partner carefully – You can only use this trick to do half the work if your partner is reliable.

*Note: joint degree candidates between HKS and Tuck, Wharton, Stanford GSB, and MIT Sloan can transfer to the MPP to the Master in Public Administration degree, which does not have a PAE requirement

Be open to random talks and new experiences – there are so many of them at Harvard. Say yes to a few of them each week – especially those at other schools you wouldn’t otherwise explore.

If this is relevant to you, I'd also recommend these other articles:

Best,
Nate

IvyAdmissionsGroup.com | Want to know your odds of admission? Get our free assessment here.

Apply to business school like you're running for office. You're the candidate. We're your campaign managers.

BSchool Thread Master
S
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 19:14
That was very insightful. Thank you for sharing it.
NateFromHBS wrote:
If you're planning to apply to the joint degree program between HBS and Harvard Kennedy School of Government, remember that after you submit your application to HBS (checking the box noting your interest in the joint program) on 5 September 2018, you need to separately apply on the HKS portal as well by 3 December 2018. There's only one admissions deadline for HKS to don't miss it! The HKS application is an entirely different beast than the MBA applications so make sure you use that extra time wisely! For those considering the joint degree program, check out this advice handed down from the graduating HBS/HKS class:

How to succeed in the HBS/HKS Joint Degree Program

Commonly known as “Jointees,” the students in the joint degree programs at Harvard Kennedy School and Harvard Business school are united in their desire to affect change in both business and in government. Their experience moving between two Harvard schools presents a unique set of opportunities and challenges, and each year the third year jointees pass on their wisdom to the classes below them. Some of the piece of advice agree, others conflict, but they are all born out of three years of lived experience.

Work on improving your influence – The “core curriculum” at HKS and the “Required Curriculum” at HBS both help you understand and analyze problems on the firm, industry, and systemic level. However, you be successful, you still need to convince others how to change, the benefits of change, and the imperative to change. Use your time outside of class to grow in this area.

Speak to the unconverted – once you have learned how to solve global challenges and have developed the tools to be convincing, make sure to break out of the echo chamber and speak to those who do not agree with you. That’s the only way to make change.

Take "fierce control" over your education – You only have three years to explore two schools in which someone could spend a lifetime. Don’t count on the distribution requirements to show you everything worth exploring. If you find yourself over committed, talk to HKS professors about not submitting assignments. After all, grades here really don’t matter.

Invest in people – People are what will make your educational experience and people are what you’ll take away from the school after you graduate. Determine who you want to stay friends with in 10 years, and spend time with them!

Don’t be a bleeding heart – The rest of HBS will expect you, as a jointee, to be a bleeding heart, always reflexively advocating for government regulation and against business enterprise. Don’t fall into that trap. As soon as you do, people will anticipate your opinions, see your views as biased, and stop listening to them. By instead trusting that others will fill those roles early in the term, you can save your credibly (and that of all jointees) to advance social arguments later on when the lines are blurrier and the stakes are higher.

(or) Be a bleeding heart! – Someone has to do it.

Be proud of your story – Own it and learn to tell it well.

Make special time for other jointees – they will be your best partners, champions, friends, and resources.

Save your ammo for the last third of class – some of your peers at HKS will villainize the private sector and some at HBS believe that government is unnecessary. Jointees know that the public and private sectors need to work together (and with the non-profit sector) to tackle the “great challenges” in the world. You usually only get to make one comment per class session, so save your airtime for the end so you can correct your peers when they say otherwise.

Pick your PAE client carefully – As a Master in Public Policy (MPP)* candidate you’ll have to complete HKS’s thesis-like Policy Analysis Exercise (PAE) in which you will work with a client to deliver a policy deliverable. Pick someone who communicates clearly, understands your limitations, and will value your work. If the work is interesting, the client relates to your post-graduation goals, and the experience broadens your personal network, that’s a plus.

Pick your PAE partner carefully – You can only use this trick to do half the work if your partner is reliable.

*Note: joint degree candidates between HKS and Tuck, Wharton, Stanford GSB, and MIT Sloan can transfer to the MPP to the Master in Public Administration degree, which does not have a PAE requirement

Be open to random talks and new experiences – there are so many of them at Harvard. Say yes to a few of them each week – especially those at other schools you wouldn’t otherwise explore.

If this is relevant to you, I'd also recommend these other articles:

BSchool Thread Master
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 07:39
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
Hi there - I'm an HBS alum (just went back for my 15(!!!)-year reunion) and an admissions consultant at Stacy Blackman Consulting.

Before school starts you will have START week, which is not based on your section and therefore you'll interact with a ton of new classmates. The year-long FIELD experience also will put you in small cross-section groups that change over the course of a year. You are with your section (I was Section A... aka The A-Team) for all case-based classes during your first year. But you will of course meet a ton of other people outside of your section through events, clubs, conferences, going to speakers, friends-of-friends, and many many many social activities.

Then in your second year you take electives, so you will be with whoever is in the classes you select, across all sections.

So in short, you are going to get to know and meet many many many people outside of your section. Guaranteed.

Did I get to know all 900 people in my graduating class? No. But do I think I got to know MORE people very well than I would've in a smaller graduating-class size? Yes. My BEST friends are from my section, but I didn't feel the section experience limiting in any way. And even to this day, if I come into contact or reach out to someone in my graduating class who I didn't necessarily know back at school, we still have many mutual friends and that overall shared experience that bonds us.

Hope that helps!

SamuelWitwicky wrote:
A quick question for any Harvard alumni or anyone that has an answer to this: The MBA intake is about 1000+. Your section is ~90 people and labelled alphabetically (based on what was shared in the last info session I went). I'm under the impression that you would only interact with those in your section. Under what circumstances would you mix with students from other sections?

Thanks a lot Erika for your answer, that helps a lot! :)
Current Student
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 06:17
A little over a month left before round 1 apps are due!

I am about to start my 2nd year at HBS, and happy to answer any questions about my experience so far. Let's get this topic more active.
BSchool Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.85
WE: Design (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 06:40
aeropower wrote:

I am about to start my 2nd year at HBS, and happy to answer any questions about my experience so far. Let's get this topic more active.

Awesome! :ok How has your HBS experience been so far?

Thank you for offering the help. I guess the applicants will have tonnes of questions for you :crazy: and will benefit a great deal from what you have to offer. :-)

12345aBcDeFgHiJkLmNoPqRsTuVwXyZ67890

BSchool Thread Master
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 07:03
Baten80 wrote:
I want to apply for PHD program of Accounting. Is the deadline same for me?

No, the deadlines for the Doctoral programs are different. Here's what I found on the Doctoral program page of HBS website:

DATES & DEADLINES
The application for admission for fall 2018 is now CLOSED for all programs. The application for fall 2019 will open in September 2018.

Here'e the link to that page: https://www.hbs.edu/doctoral/admissions/Pages/apply-to-program.aspx

Hope that helps :-)

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 09:00
aeropower wrote:

Congrats on your acceptance! Was it everything that you imagined going into HBS given it's how it's reputation and brand are atmospherically high? Just curious what you think now that you are living through the hype, so to speak.

Secondly, how truly diverse is perspective in your class? I mean this beyond job, and into viewpoint and motivations. There is a fun saying go around (you probably heard it!) that HBS/GSB requires you to either "be a victim or be helping victims". Now, I'm sure that isn't true. There are many qualified and exceptional people out there that don't fall into that grouping, but I'd love to hear your response to that given that you have some solid bearing on your classmates at this stage.

Finally, any recommendations on how to truly "break through" with your story via your essay and application? How do you think you were able to click to the committee reviewing your file?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2018, 18:53
WOW

"Ditch imposter syndrome: Many people at Harvard suffer from imposter syndrome; they worry that they were admissions mistakes."

So the application, essay, and resume painted a far better picture. Then, when interviewing, discard all documentation on the person - and dive into who they are as a human. It is from that one can judge how they've lived and what they can achieve.

Whiteboard your priorities

"...Career events are geared to push you towards consulting and investment banking, the social hierarchy pushes you to rack up large bills drinking and traveling..."

Seems like the same candidates struggling from the "Imposter Syndrome" might be whiteboarding priorities. Not sure. Drinking and Traveling happens so experience with and how to deal with it responsibly seems like a solid strategy.
Also, hope everyone knows, priorities & strategies in the real world change every 20 minutes or so - so come prepared with extra white boards and dry-erase markers..

Timebox your activities

If you plan on spending one hour on a case, pull out a stop watch and set it for 60 minutes.

I need to do whats stated above

Embrace unlearning

Amen to this: Nations, Corporations, and People will never thrive if the thought is "We've learned.." Contrary wins - assume nothing, build from the ground up. Attitude should always be: "We are learning."
BSchool Thread Master
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 13:09

POST YOUR QUERIES & GET THEM ANSWERED HERE!

Hey fellow applicants, where are you all hiding? It's time to REVEAL yourself! :grin: Jump out of the bushes, will'ya?

Coming to the point, I have reached out to a few alumni & current students and have requested them to answer queries about HBS (or provide application related tips/suggestions/guidance) that the applicants have (or seek/must know). So, feel free to post your queries here and I will try to get you the answers to your queries! I am also trying to rope in Adcoms to answer your queries! So, get going and post your queries ASAP! The sooner you post your query, the sooner it gets answered! Jeez! What are you waiting for ???

Note: Please do not ask for a profile evaluation; nor expect spoon feeding for questions whose answer you can easily find on the school's website by spending no more than 5-10 minutes. Ask questions that are meaningful and that would add value to your application. Thanks for understanding. Looking forward to some great questions.

Intern
Intern
Employment History Question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 09:30
I have worked at the same company since graduating college. For the employment section, should I list the company one time with my start and end position? OR do I list the company 4 times, with each entry corresponding with a promotion?

Is there an expected way to complete the section or is it up to my discretion?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Guanghua"21 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Re: Employment History Question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 05:31
it really depends on the program you're applying. If you can fit all the items in the application, separate entries will be better since it demonstrates your promotion progress. otherwise, you'll have to capsize it into fewer entries.
BSchool Thread Master
S

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 09:48
They clearly mentioned this in the application.
"If you've had more than one position at the same employer, just list the employer once but with different starting and ending positions. We'll know that you've changed titles and/or been promoted. You can include more details on your resume. "
HouseTyrell wrote:
I have worked at the same company since graduating college. For the employment section, should I list the company one time with my start and end position? OR do I list the company 4 times, with each entry corresponding with a promotion?

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GRE 1: Q170 V168
GPA: 3.94

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 10:00
MV23 wrote:
"If you've had more than one position at the same employer, just list the employer once but with different starting and ending positions. We'll know that you've changed titles and/or been promoted. You can include more details on your resume. "
HouseTyrell wrote:

The ambiguity there is if you worked for your company in a variety of different roles (e.g., college being the most prominent example I'm thinking of), where the positions are different and not considered promotions between each other.
BSchool Thread Master
S

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 10:03
hmm, you can only add 3 employers so there's that.
About the college thing, yeah I was in a similar situation (TA -> RA ->...). I just put them all under one employer even though the positions were under different departments.
simonayzman wrote:
MV23 wrote:
HouseTyrell wrote:

The ambiguity there is if you worked for your company in a variety of different roles (e.g., college being the most prominent example I'm thinking of), where the positions are different and not considered promotions between each other.
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021! &nbs [#permalink] 17 Aug 2018, 10:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 56 posts ] 

Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: ydmuley

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap