Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021! [#permalink]
BananaNation wrote:
Wow, this thread is so quiet compared to other years... It's exactly 2 weeks until R1 deadline, how is everyone doing?

Does anyone know if recommenders can edit their LOR after submission but before September 5th deadline? One of my recommenders already submitted his letter and realized he never actually used my name instead referring to me as "He" EVERYWHERE! :D

I've been writing...and rewriting... and rewriting my essays for over a month now! The introspection required on the essays, especially from HBS/GSB/Haas, has made me constantly tweak my message.

Good news is I see every draft being more powerful than the last, and I'm looking forward to submitting :)

Now if only my second recommender could submit her form so I could rest a bit easier haha
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.85
WE:Design (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021! [#permalink]
fearfulpersistance wrote:
I've been writing...and rewriting... and rewriting my essays for over a month now! The introspection required on the essays, especially from HBS/GSB/Haas, has made me constantly tweak my message.

Good news is I see every draft being more powerful than the last, and I'm looking forward to submitting :)

Now if only my second recommender could submit her form so I could rest a bit easier haha

I can feel you. Whatever I write, I never feel that it is sufficient. Each time I read my essay I feel something is amiss and that I should improve! :sad: :( Is this common? Did this happen with you too aeropower Bridgeur? :?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
DigitsnLetters wrote:

I can feel you. Whatever I write, I never feel that it is sufficient. Each time I read my essay I feel something is amiss and that I should improve! :sad: :( Is this common? Did this happen with you too aeropower Bridgeur? :?

Yup! Extremely common and that's what's supposed to happen. When you're reasonably okay with it, have multiple other people (who know you well, and have good essay skills obviously) read it. It's very common for you to start disliking a draft just because you've seen it and re-done it so many times it appears boring.
For HBS essay I had 4-5 completely different drafts. And once I picked one, at least 7-8 iterations over 3 weeks. The good news is once you have your story/self-pitch down, other school essays can be done in 7-10 days each.
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Very common -- and it's a good thing to continue honing and rewriting your message. If someone submits the first draft they ever write, that's not going to be a good thing.

The main thing is to just make sure you're telling them something they don't already know. They are looking for INSIGHT not found elsewhere in your app, and they really don't want just a laundry list of accomplishments that they can already see on your resume. Tell them WHY you have made the various personal and career decisions you've made, tell them what motivates you, why you're passionate about a particular cause you're involved with, defining moments in your life that are behind decisions you've made or your future career goals, etc.

Best of luck to all!

DigitsnLetters wrote:

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
Very common -- and it's a good thing to continue honing and rewriting your message. If someone submits the first draft they ever write, that's not going to be a good thing.

The main thing is to just make sure you're telling them something they don't already know. They are looking for INSIGHT not found elsewhere in your app, and they really don't want just a laundry list of accomplishments that they can already see on your resume. Tell them WHY you have made the various personal and career decisions you've made, tell them what motivates you, why you're passionate about a particular cause you're involved with, defining moments in your life that are behind decisions you've made or your future career goals, etc.

Best of luck to all!

This is superb advice. Sounds obvious enough, but whilst other school essays actually want to hear you elaborate on your biggest achievements and "why mba / professional goals". HBS does NOT. Some of the best essays I've read (please do yourself a favor & purchase Harbus's essay collection if you have'nt already) never once mentioned MBA / case method / prior achievements. Write about YOU, what drives you, what shaped the decisions you took, how does that connect to what your ambitions are.

Example: Don't write I was fast-tracked and promoted in 2 years from analyst to associate because I'm so damn good at doing financial analysis.
Maybe write: I've been lucky to have found great mentors in my professional life, who accelerated my learning process and made me love what I did. When I was accelerated up the ranks, I started an analyst-associate buddy system for others to get a similar boost.
(I totally made that up, but feel like the 2nd one at least tells me something about your personality, the first one does NOT get admitted to hbs contrary to popular stereotype: A-type overachiever )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Bridgeur wrote:
SBCErikaOlson wrote:

Best of luck to all!

This is superb advice. Sounds obvious enough, but whilst other school essays actually want to hear you elaborate on your biggest achievements and "why mba / professional goals". HBS does NOT. Some of the best essays I've read (please do yourself a favor & purchase Harbus's essay collection if you have'nt already) never once mentioned MBA / case method / prior achievements. Write about YOU, what drives you, what shaped the decisions you took, how does that connect to what your ambitions are.

Example: Don't write I was fast-tracked and promoted in 2 years from analyst to associate because I'm so damn good at doing financial analysis.
Maybe write: I've been lucky to have found great mentors in my professional life, who accelerated my learning process and made me love what I did. When I was accelerated up the ranks, I started an analyst-associate buddy system for others to get a similar boost.
(I totally made that up, but feel like the 2nd one at least tells me something about your personality, the first one does NOT get admitted to hbs contrary to popular stereotype: A-type overachiever )

You guys give awesome advice, thank you :) My essay is so far away from an "overachiever" essay that it hurts. I'm actually worried I went too far in the other direction explaining flaws and failures that I may be shooting myself in the foot. I certainly touch on "defining moments" in life that shaped future decisions, and more broadly the person I grew into. I think I may need to add more on deeper passion and ambitions. My essay didn't really dive into career goals or future pursuits, just aspects of my life so far that were meaningful.

I guess time will tell, thanks for the insight!!
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
HBS has the 500-character "career goal" short answer field in the application, so if your goals are straightforward and make sense with your career to-date/aren't a huge switch, do not feel the need to address them in the main essay.

I wasn't implying you need to cover ALL of those things in your essay -- usually people focus in on ONE theme of the ones I listed. Hope that makes sense.

Bridgeur wrote:
SBCErikaOlson wrote:

Best of luck to all!

You guys give awesome advice, thank you :) My essay is so far away from an "overachiever" essay that it hurts. I'm actually worried I went too far in the other direction explaining flaws and failures that I may be shooting myself in the foot. I certainly touch on "defining moments" in life that shaped future decisions, and more broadly the person I grew into. I think I may need to add more on deeper passion and ambitions. My essay didn't really dive into career goals or future pursuits, just aspects of my life so far that were meaningful.

I guess time will tell, thanks for the insight!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
HBS has the 500-character "career goal" short answer field in the application, so if your goals are straightforward and make sense with your career to-date/aren't a huge switch, do not feel the need to address them in the main essay.

I wasn't implying you need to cover ALL of those things in your essay -- usually people focus in on ONE theme of the ones I listed. Hope that makes sense.

It makes total sense, thank you. That was more my thinking as I wrote and honed the essay, but I had a wave of doubt come over me reading all those items. Good to know it's usually a single focus with a strong narrative instead of a laundry list hitting everything from achievements/goals/ambitions/motivation/failures etc etc...

Curious if other applicants are grappling with the same questions I am
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
SBCErikaOlson wrote:

It makes total sense, thank you. That was more my thinking as I wrote and honed the essay, but I had a wave of doubt come over me reading all those items. Good to know it's usually a single focus with a strong narrative instead of a laundry list hitting everything from achievements/goals/ambitions/motivation/failures etc etc...

Curious if other applicants are grappling with the same questions I am

Sounds like you've got the right idea. Don't second guess yourself!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Bridgeur wrote:
DigitsnLetters wrote:
Whatever I write, I never feel that it is sufficient. Each time I read my essay I feel something is amiss and that I should improve! :sad: :( Is this common? Did this happen with you too aeropower Bridgeur? :?

Yup! Extremely common and that's what's supposed to happen. When you're reasonably okay with it, have multiple other people (who know you well, and have good essay skills obviously) read it. It's very common for you to start disliking a draft just because you've seen it and re-done it so many times it appears boring.
For HBS essay I had 4-5 completely different drafts. And once I picked one, at least 7-8 iterations over 3 weeks. The good news is once you have your story/self-pitch down, other school essays can be done in 7-10 days each.

Thank you for the reassuring words :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
SBCErikaOlson wrote:

Thank you so much for advice! :-)

I have a very different scenario though. I am a reapplicant. I applied in R2 last application cycle. This year my goals have evolved significantly: from consulting to entrepreneurship. It is worth mentioning that I do not have prior entrepreneurial experience. However, I am very keen on following this path and start my own multi-winged startup (which relates to a very burning issue and is the need of the hour). To demonstrate why I have switched my goals, in my essay I am highlighting three events/incidents which have led to the evolved goals. Also, to establish the credibility I am quoting data points as to why this startup is the need of the hour. In addition, I am briefly describing the steps I have already taken for the startup.

Now, I have two questions for you:
1. does my essay theme makes sense? (my intent is to provide the Adcoms with a proper justification for changed goals; also, since this is information is not getting reflected anywhere else, I feel is it of prime importance to present this info for justified evaluation of my candidature)
2. since I am not presenting any career decisions that I've made (I am not presenting any leadership stories), will it cause problems? (however, the startup that I am working on is designed to have a significant impact; also, the steps I have taken reflect leadership potential)

TIA for your help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [6]
Send PM
Kudos