It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 04:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 5

Schools: Sloan '19 (II)
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2016, 21:47
Good luck to all applicants!
Round 1 deadline is very very close and I'm in the final stages of finishing up my application. Like many of you, HBS is my top choice and I'm applying in round 1 after all the blood, sweat, and tears to get to this point. Feel free to message me and discuss the application process- It'd be my pleasure to get to know other HBS applicants!

Sent from my SM-G928T using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 5

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16168 [0], given: 1949

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2016, 21:48

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3613 [0], given: 2403

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2016, 21:51
BigTuna wrote:
This place is strangely quiet. Who else is submitting R1?

You're right. Harvard forum has been pretty quiet this year. Let's start having some healthy discussions and ensure that we make the best use of this thread. :)

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2016, 21:56
I request all applicants to add Harvard MBA program to your MBA timeline so that the applicant stats displayed in the first post reflect true picture of admissions. While adding the program, MAKE SURE you are setting it for graduation year i.e. 'Class of 2019'.

Attachment:
Harvard.png
Harvard.png [ 158.92 KiB | Viewed 4121 times ]

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 56 [1], given: 5

GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 08:05
This post received
KUDOS
Just submitted for R1.

Good luck everyone

Kudos [?]: 56 [1], given: 5

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 3613 [1], given: 2403

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 08:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

Harvard Business School - Admission Trends!

Hi Everyone, Here is our analysis of admission trends at Harvard and acceptance chances of applicants based on our accumulated forum data of applicants. We have analysed our forum data of HBS applicants from 2012 to 2016 to determine acceptance chances by GMAT score, admission rounds, industry, age, country, etc.

The data used for this analysis is self-reported, so it's advised to use findings of this analysis with discretion. They are meant to give only a general idea of admission scenario at Harvard. Don't presume that these findings will hold true all the time.

We would welcome any comments, opinions, suggestions or anything else that you might have to say about the findings of this analysis.

YOY Acceptance Rate and Avg GMAT of Applicants

Sample Size: 3408 Applicants

Acceptance Rate by GMAT Score

• Harvard is one of the most coveted MBA programs in the world and following chart clearly shows how fierce the competition at HBS is. Even with 760 GMAT score, your chance of acceptance is only 14%.
  • Among the 1698 applicants that we considered for this chart, around 90% had GMAT score of 700 or above and 75% had GMAT score of 720 or above. This finding tells us that those with lower than 700 GMAT need to have strong profile and convincing story for applying to Harvard.
  • Narrow gap between lines showing interview invites and acceptance indicate that Harvard is selective in sending interview invites, and one can have better chance of acceptance after interview. This trend is different from what we observed in Tuck, Columbia, and Fuqua.
  • Acceptance rate of Harvard applicants after interview is close to 57%.

Sample Size: 1698 Applicants

Acceptance Rate by Admission Round

Sample Size: 3407 Applicants

Acceptance Rates of Applicants in Different Age Groups

Sample Size: 1243 Applicants

Acceptance rates of applicants from various industries

• The first chart - line chart - shows acceptance rates of applicants from various industries and the pie chart next to it shows industry-wise allocation of applicants.

Sample Size: 1464 Applicants

Acceptance Rates of Applicants from Various Regions

Sample Size: 1139 Applicants

As I said earlier, we welcome your views, counter-views, suggestions, etc on the analysis. Thank you!

Kudos [?]: 3613 [1], given: 2403

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 08:10

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.49
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 09:35
Still wrapping my application up.. Almost there. This was good timing for a 4-day weekend.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

MBA Blogger

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 09:39
Hello

Good luck everyone! I am giving one final review to my essay, almost done.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 11:04

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 12:35
What format are you guys using for the essay? I know the application says there is no preference for style, but are you including a plain pdf with only text? Anyone using any kind of headers, labels, etc.?

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 13:14
Arial, size 12, single spaced.

No headers, labels, etc.

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 19:50
Anyone have an idea what to fill in the box asking for secondary school?
Is it only asking for the school I passed 12th from? Or do we have to provide detail of 10th as well?
Indian applicants plz help.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 20:30
Hey guys -

In for R1 as well for HBS / GSB... debating whether to apply to Wharton R1 or R2 (function of time available).

Can't believe this is almost it - looking forward to the wild-ride in the months ahead (well not really, but will definitely be interesting!)

Good luck to all

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 23:28
Hi all, also planning to apply R1 but having a small problem. my recommender didn't receive her link. I emailed slatesupport but no chance. I've been calling admissions office since yesterday but the are not answering either.

Any suggestions on what i should do? So little time left for R1 deadline :|

Expert Post
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 73

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 23:56
CJH2015 wrote:
Hey guys -

In for R1 as well for HBS / GSB... debating whether to apply to Wharton R1 or R2 (function of time available).

Can't believe this is almost it - looking forward to the wild-ride in the months ahead (well not really, but will definitely be interesting!)

Good luck to all

If you are super overrepresented, R1 is preferable however that is if all other things are equal, including the quality of your application.
If your online and essay responses (and recommendations) are not well developed for R1, it is to your advantage to go for R2.
The objective is not to get ding letters early in the season, which will happen if the application is anything less than dazzling.

Also, if you have a strongly international orientation or profile, and/or interest, do consider the Lauder program at Wharton.
It's a gem. There is a very strong sense of community among Lauderites.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Expert Post
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 00:03
happli19 wrote:
Hi all, also planning to apply R1 but having a small problem. my recommender didn't receive her link. I emailed slatesupport but no chance. I've been calling admissions office since yesterday but the are not answering either.

No one would pick up the phone at admissions on a Sunday or the Monday of Labor Day weekend. Someone should be there Tuesday (in about 5 hours from now.)
Make sure to call between 8am and 5pm Monday-Friday EST. (This past Monday was a national holiday, however.)

I would discuss the situation over the phone with them - they might give you more time for that to be submitted.

Have you spoken with the recommender about searching her email/spam for HBS? These situations are usually due to user error...
Also, does she still have access to the original email you submitted? Did she change jobs or leave the company?

If she seems in any way lacking in enthusiasm, inquire about excluding this recommender with the admissions team.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 02:12
Wow, thanks Farrell. Completely forgot it was a holiday and was freaking out over this. I already had my recommender check spam, no luck :(

Hope this will be sorted out today (in 4-5 hours :))

Best

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 02:48
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
CJH2015 wrote:
Hey guys -

Good luck to all

If you are super overrepresented, R1 is preferable however that is if all other things are equal, including the quality of your application.
If your online and essay responses (and recommendations) are not well developed for R1, it is to your advantage to go for R2.
The objective is not to get ding letters early in the season, which will happen if the application is anything less than dazzling.

Also, if you have a strongly international orientation or profile, and/or interest, do consider the Lauder program at Wharton.
It's a gem. There is a very strong sense of community among Lauderites.

Thanks for the reply here - I've actually strongly considered Lauder in the past (and think my profile would be a great fit for exactly what they're looking for) - however, because of the way my firm's bonus payment is structured, matriculating to Lauder would not allow me to receive my full-year bonus which would be a material amount. It's unfortunate - otherwise, I think Lauder would be extremely attractive.

Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 07:45
Hopefully by now you've gotten through to the adcom about this issue.

BUT if you haven't, then no matter what, YOU should submit your materials before the deadline. (And I would suggest doing it now if they're ready -- the system can crash as the deadline nears so you don't want to wait until the last minute.)

If YOUR materials are in and your other recommender's letter is in and just the one is still outstanding because of a technical issue, they will likely still count you in Round 1.

I'm assuming you've tried re-entering your recommender's email address into the system again to see if it kicks out an email to her?

Good luck!

happli19 wrote:

I've been an admissions consultant with Stacy Blackman Consulting since 2008. I went to Harvard Business School for my MBA and Michigan Ross for my BBA. I have helped clients gain acceptance into all of the top programs and am a big believer in letting your voice and your personality shine through in your application materials. Best of luck!

Interested in a free 30-minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Erika Olson | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2016, 07:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  27    Next  [ 537 posts ]