It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 06:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2016, 19:00
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Class of 2018 - Preliminary Profile
Summer is in full swing in Dillon House, and one of the things we're most looking forward to is our incoming Class of 2018. Keep in mind this is a preliminary profile of the class for now. I will post the final matriculating class profile at the end of the summer.

Despite the beautiful weather in Boston, many of us are on the road over the summer encouraging people to learn more about HBS. We’d love to meet you at one of our global events. If we won’t be in your area, you can always check out one of our webinars.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 49

GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.22
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 14:16
Hello all,

I am in the process of writing a strong essay for my round 1 applications. However, I feel that I can spin it in so many ways that I am having a hard time in deciding how to best present myself.

I believe there are many facets of my life and experiences that are worth mentioning, but am having a hard time in creating a flow or in capturing the best ones that I can highlight within 600 words.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 08:46
Why 600 words? There is no word limit.

Retired Moderator
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 09:06
In for R1, application deadline is right around the corner!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 10:28
I believe that is the general consensus for word limit when it comes to essays. From my research, it appears 600-800 words is optimal. Anything beyond is an overstretch.

Retired Moderator
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 10:44
minhas3 wrote:
I believe that is the general consensus for word limit when it comes to essays. From my research, it appears 600-800 words is optimal. Anything beyond is an overstretch.

Well hey, it's your essay 8-) I tend to avoid anything that is "general consensus". If HBS wanted an essay that was 600-800 words, they would say so. If you can write your essay 400 words, great. If it takes you 1,200 words, that's probably fine too.

Direct from the Director says

"No word limit and no right answers. It’s all yours."

I take them at their word. Good luck.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 31

GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE: Marketing (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 16:06
Hi!
This article has been quite helpful for me... http://www.clearadmit.com/2016/05/harva ... 2016-2017/

They say a 1,000-word essay would be unwelcome. I've been advised by an admissions consultant to keep it around 800 words.

In addition, since all content may be the one that gives you that insight you've been looking for, I find most of the clearadmit contents to be interesting and helpful. Also, I am reading "65 Successful HBS Aplication Essays".

Good luck in your application. Hope we both become part of 2019 class.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 31

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 16:12
Hi,
Check out MBA consulting by Deependra Ojha!

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fdeependra.ojha%2Fposts%2F10157053999820554&width=500" width="500" height="647" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

Good luck with the application process.

Regards,
Neha

minhas3 wrote:
Hello all,

I am in the process of writing a strong essay for my round 1 applications. However, I feel that I can spin it in so many ways that I am having a hard time in deciding how to best present myself.

I believe there are many facets of my life and experiences that are worth mentioning, but am having a hard time in creating a flow or in capturing the best ones that I can highlight within 600 words.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 16:31
Thanks guys, really appreciate the help.

Neha,
The link appears to be broken. Can you please re-paste.

Thanks

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 16:55
Hi Neha,

As the old saying goes 'jack of all trades and master of none' is applicable in an MBA admission essay as well. Having gone through a similar application myself, I can easily understand the urge to try and convey everything in a single essay (specially if the school asks for ONLY 1 essay). However, I will suggest you to draft the essay in the form of a story, where each para would be linked to the other and the end result a comprehensive picture of who you are both from a personal as well as professional front. Ex: You had done a 2 months internship with a NGO, but if this experience isn't aligned with your other experiences or your career goals or brings out a certain aspect of your personality, then you should ideally not mention it in the essay.

Hope this helps!

I am a strategy consultant by profession and trust me writing a compelling essay is nothing short of devising a strategy at work.

I also do part time admission consulting with a firm MBA Admissions Consultant. Please feel free to reach out to me at +91-9701215544 in case you have further questions or seek help with choosing schools or drafting essays/ recos/ scholarship applications etc.

Cheers
Arijit

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 18:03
Few thoughts on HBS essay:
1. Keep it short. Highly recommend essays in the 500 – 750 word range, or even shorter. This year’s essay is literally just an introduction of one’s self to your section-mates. If someone took 15 minutes to introduce themselves (which is what a 1000+ word essay would take to say out loud), I would be incredibly annoyed

2. Answer the question that’s been asked, and don’t try address “traditional” MBA essay topics.

3. Be yourself and be conversational. I would recommend reading the blog from Admissions Director Dee Leopold: http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/Pages ... ector.aspx. Notice the tone of language she uses. It is extremely friendly and casual.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 69

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 10:22
Dondarrion wrote:
minhas3 wrote:

Well hey, it's your essay 8-) I tend to avoid anything that is "general consensus". If HBS wanted an essay that was 600-800 words, they would say so. If you can write your essay 400 words, great. If it takes you 1,200 words, that's probably fine too.

Direct from the Director says

"No word limit and no right answers. It’s all yours."

I take them at their word. Good luck.

@Dondarrion, I do think they are just giving you enough room to hang yourself with that prompt. I wouldn't say that you're a dead man walking if you submit a thousand words, but anything over that would be. They value concision.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Retired Moderator
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 10:30
MBAPrepCoach

Thanks for the advice!

To me, it seems incredibly disingenuous to deliberately say that there is "no word limit" but then hold people to a word limit. I'm glad that most schools provide a limit or a range or else the whole process could get mighty confusing!

Expert Post
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 10:38
minhas3 wrote:
Hello all,

@minhas3 A few thoughts. First of all, candidates often feel as though more is better. This is not the case and if you've ever reviewed a colleagues resume, you know what I'm talking about. The Mantra here is targeted, not comprehensive.

Can you take some of these things and roll them up into leadership characteristics that are broader, but still meaningful? The key is to find the essence of it, the golden thread, what others say is unique about you, what you're known for as it relates to leadership.

People can only digest so much at a time which is why it's your responsibility to be super clear and focused. Would you be more attracted to a political candidate who mentioned three things about themselves or 20?

There needs to be a hook and they need to get clear on what your trying to say in the first 15 seconds.

Strategically select an anecdote, possibly two, that reflect what it is you are known for, what might be your brand as it relates to leadership.

You don't want the same anecdote to show up in your letter of recommendation, but you want both items to point to the same qualities.

This is why it's important to coach recommenders and think about the likely story they would tell about you, as a means for choosing them.

Feel free to reach out if you like me to evaluate a couple different ideas.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA

Farrell Dyan

Last edited by MBAPrepCoach on 27 Jul 2016, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

Expert Post
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 10:40
Dondarrion wrote:
MBAPrepCoach

Thanks for the advice!

To me, it seems incredibly disingenuous to deliberately say that there is "no word limit" but then hold people to a word limit. I'm glad that most schools provide a limit or a range or else the whole process could get mighty confusing!

I totally agree, say what you mean already. It's one of those situations where they want to observe you rather than control you.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA

Farrell Dyan

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 22:02
farrell Dyan Hehn

Wow. That is exactly what I needed to hear. I have been struggling with this for quite some time. But after reading your tips, I instantly have written something that I think might be close to what I have been trying to achieve.
Thank you so much for the words.

Expert Post
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 22:15
minhas3 wrote:
farrell Dyan Hehn

Wow. That is exactly what I needed to hear. I have been struggling with this for quite some time. But after reading your tips, I instantly have written something that I think might be close to what I have been trying to achieve.
Thank you so much for the words.

@minhas3 I really appreciate the touching words. Very very glad that I could help you achieve a break through here. I'll take a look at the draft you sent me tomorrow, sorry for the delay it's crazy time. I don't have to tell you that though.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA

Farrell Dyan

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 19:41
minhas3 wrote:
Hello all,

Hi there,

When the admission board asks you what else you'd like to share, you should really find something that supplements your existing material and reinforces the fact that you'd be a wonderful addition to the HBS community. The "what" is probably more relevant than how long it should be. FWIW, my essay was ~950 words and covered two stories.

Hope this helps!

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 9

Expert Post
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 20:59
@hellitsme16 thank you for sharing. I totally agree with you that it is meant to supplement other aspects of your application.

Specifically, it should be a give them a sense of who you are as a person, not a fanatical careerist, but rather the person behind the accomplishments.

No need for soap operas or anything like that, but it reach them on an emotional level. This is what makes you memorable.

If it's two compelling anecdotes, which is an excellent approach, I think 950 words is fine. I just think the goal is to make sure it's tight and that every sentence has a clear purpose.

My recommendation is the STAR approach so make sure you're covering all parts of the story, and not going off too much on one area of the story.

Were you admitted?

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA

Farrell Dyan

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 13:00
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Class of 2018 - Preliminary Profile
Summer is in full swing in Dillon House, and one of the things we're most looking forward to is our incoming Class of 2018. Keep in mind this is a preliminary profile of the class for now. I will post the final matriculating class profile at the end of the summer.

Despite the beautiful weather in Boston, many of us are on the road over the summer encouraging people to learn more about HBS. We’d love to meet you at one of our global events. If we won’t be in your area, you can always check out one of our webinars.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2016, 13:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  27    Next  [ 538 posts ]