Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 15:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 204 [2] , given: 9

Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 05:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

54% (01:57) correct 46% (01:05) wrong based on 198 sessions
Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly in small amounts from the pituitary glands of human cadavers.

A) scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly
B) scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly.
C) scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed
D) learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly
E) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed by scientists

OA will follow
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 5

Re: Before scientists learned how to make [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 07:50
Will go for C.

A) scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly
B) scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly. ( Both the Phrases in Past perfect tense looks no good )
C) scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed ( Will go for this)
Talking about two action in the past. So i took it.
D) learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly
E) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed by scientists ( passive voice)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 12

Re: Before scientists learned how to make [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 08:41
This post received
KUDOS
Will go with C ..
Two actions in past .. 1st one is referred by had the other one should be in simple past ..
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 171 [2] , given: 13

Re: Before scientists learned how to make [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS
A) scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly - Wrong way to phrase the sentence.
B) scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly - Use of "had" 2 times is wrong.
C) scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed - part marked in RED changes the meaning of the sentence. Scientists did not learn to synthesize the hramone itself, they just learned how to make the synthetic harmone.
D) learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly - correct and only remaining answer.
E) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed by scientists - Same as C.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 188 [2] , given: 106

Re: Before scientists learned how to make [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 09:31
This post received
KUDOS
hgp2k wrote:
A) scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly - Wrong way to phrase the sentence.
B) scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly - Use of "had" 2 times is wrong.
C) scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed - part marked in RED changes the meaning of the sentence. Scientists did not learn to synthesize the hramone itself, they just learned how to make the synthetic harmone.
D) learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly - correct and only remaining answer.
E) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed by scientists - Same as C.

Right catch :)

C and D gramatically both correct, but C changes the intent.

'to make synthetic X' and 'to synthesize X' are different.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 13

Re: Before scientists learned how to make [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 10:13
C and D are close.

Both C and D clarify the sequence of events.

I would go with C.

I think focus in the second part of the sentence is on how something was done instead of who did it. So we can use passive voice.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Before scientists learned how to make [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 14:27
C and D are ver close.

What is the OA and explanations also please.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 204 [1] , given: 9

Re: Before scientists learned how to make [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 21:48
This post received
KUDOS
OA is C

as everybody has said, C and D are really close. That's why the question,IMO, is hard.

D) Before learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly in small amounts from the pituitary glands of human cadavers.

The main problem with D is that "it" refers to "synthetic growth hormone" and not only to synthetic growth hormone. Pronouns refer to the adjectives-noun. In addition, the scientist did not remove the growth hormone, so option C correctly uses the passive voice.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 315

Re: Before scientists learned how to make [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 19:59
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly in small amounts from the pituitary glands of human cadavers.

B) scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly.
C) scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed
E) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed by scientists

OA will follow

This is really a typical sc which test profound meaning. C and D are both correct in grammar but have different meanings.
D is illogical jerk because it means that: before scientists learn how to synthesize a hormone, they had to remove it (hormone) from nature (which is one of a step in the hormone synthetic process) --> so if hormone is already there, scientists dont have to synthesize it.
C is rational because it means: before scientists learn to synthesize a hormone, hormone had to be removed from nature (because people have not synthesise it yet so they have to use hormone from nature resource). --> that's the meaning of C.
this idea has come up with me when i've browsed this link, found it is very useful to read Ron's explanation.
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/bef ... -t637.html

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 10:00
MICKEYXITIN best job done..........

now sure it is c
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1700 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 09:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The chief problem in this topic is to succumb to the tempting assumption that scientists removed the natural hormone, before they could synthesize it. However, the text does not specify this. After all the text itself is a fragment with only an introductory subordinate clause but without a main clause

This is the reason that choices B, D and E fall flat, which categorically state that the scientists removed the hormone. In addition, in D, since the pronoun ‘it’ refers to ‘the synthetic growth hormone’ you have the logical question of how anyone could have removed a synthetic hormone, even before knowing how to make it or synthesize it.

C avoids the first pitfall by tactfully switching over to a passive voice, leaving the question of who removed the hormone wide open. In addition and aptly, the pronoun ‘it’ in C simply refers to a growth hormone and not a synthetic growth hormone.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 18

Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 08:24
another awesome question. i was dazzled by the option D. but after reading the Ron's explanation it is clear to me.....hail Ron

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
WE: Corporate Finance (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 18:10
Something else jumped out on me on D... Is it possible that there's a misplaced modifier, i.e. "Scientists had to remove it painstakingly in small amounts" vs "Scientists had to painstakingly remove it in small amounts"?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ICE UK. CREDAI
Schools: ISB, LBS, Booth, IMD

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Before scientists learned how to make [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 05:55
hgp2k wrote:

Who is to say that the meaning of the sentence changes here? Wouldn't marking option A itself wrong somehow mean the sentence does not have a fixed meaning? It could be synthetic or synthesize.. I'd go with option C.
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 543

Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 05:39
Doesn't option A,B and D change the meaning of the sentence? In these options scientists make the hormone

whereas in C and E they synthesized the hormone and between C and E

E is passive so its an easy C...

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 75

Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 00:07

E) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed by scientists Before X, Y happened. X & Y both should be clause. but , here highlighted portion is a afragment, which is not making any sense

1. Verb Seq: Before X, Y happened. Thus , we need past perfect in Y to maintain this seq. Thus, A, B are out.
2. "painstakingly" is adverb. It should modify Verb "removed". Thus , A, D are out.

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 39

Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 12:04
I dont believe a trickier SC can possibly exist :) C and D are virtually the same. I think D is better because in C , "it" after the comma should refer to scientists, not to the hormone :(
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 12

Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 12:05
This post received
KUDOS

The answer is C. I was tempted by D, but than on re-reading and noticing past perfect tense in the modifiers : it had to be painstakingly removed and scientists had to remove it painstakingly , simple past have to be used in the later action.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 12

Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 12:06
Ivan91 wrote:
I dont believe a trickier SC can possibly exist :) C and D are virtually the same. I think D is better because in C , "it" after the comma should refer to scientists, not to the hormone :(

naa , it's not the same. progressive tense + past perfect will loose to simple past + past perfect.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 18

Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 10:24
Ivan91 wrote:

The problem with D is that it changes the intended meaning.

The it in second part refers to the synthetic growth hormone in first part. Now how can anyone extract synthetic growth hormone from pituitary glands. That's not possible, all you can extract is natural growth hormone, hence C is the correct answer.

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2013, 10:24