It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 04:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, remo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 395 [5], given: 9

Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, remo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2009, 06:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

48% (00:51) correct 52% (00:55) wrong based on 541 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly in small amounts from the pituitary glands of human cadavers.

(A) scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly

(B) scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly

(C) scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed

(D) learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly

(E) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed by scientists
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 31 Aug 2017, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted the question.

Kudos [?]: 395 [5], given: 9

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 5

Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, remo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2009, 08:50
Will go for C.

A) scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly
B) scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly. ( Both the Phrases in Past perfect tense looks no good )
C) scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed ( Will go for this)
Talking about two action in the past. So i took it.
D) learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly
E) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed by scientists ( passive voice)

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 5

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [1], given: 12

Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, remo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2009, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
Will go with C ..
Two actions in past .. 1st one is referred by had the other one should be in simple past ..

Kudos [?]: 34 [1], given: 12

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 351 [2], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2009, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
A) scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly - Wrong way to phrase the sentence.
B) scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly - Use of "had" 2 times is wrong.
C) scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed - part marked in RED changes the meaning of the sentence. Scientists did not learn to synthesize the hramone itself, they just learned how to make the synthetic harmone.
D) learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly - correct and only remaining answer.
E) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed by scientists - Same as C.

Kudos [?]: 351 [2], given: 13

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 382 [2], given: 106

WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2009, 10:31
This post received
KUDOS
hgp2k wrote:
A) scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly - Wrong way to phrase the sentence.
B) scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly - Use of "had" 2 times is wrong.
C) scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed - part marked in RED changes the meaning of the sentence. Scientists did not learn to synthesize the hramone itself, they just learned how to make the synthetic harmone.
D) learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly - correct and only remaining answer.
E) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed by scientists - Same as C.

Right catch :)

C and D gramatically both correct, but C changes the intent.

'to make synthetic X' and 'to synthesize X' are different.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Kudos [?]: 382 [2], given: 106

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2009, 11:13
C and D are close.

Both C and D clarify the sequence of events.

I would go with C.

I think focus in the second part of the sentence is on how something was done instead of who did it. So we can use passive voice.

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 13

9 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 395 [9], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2009, 22:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
OA is C

as everybody has said, C and D are really close. That's why the question,IMO, is hard.

D) Before learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly in small amounts from the pituitary glands of human cadavers.

The main problem with D is that "it" refers to "synthetic growth hormone" and not only to synthetic growth hormone. Pronouns refer to the adjectives-noun. In addition, the scientist did not remove the growth hormone, so option C correctly uses the passive voice.

Kudos [?]: 395 [9], given: 9

SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 432

Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2010, 10:03
I pick C. For D, the sentence implies that scientists extracted synthetic growth hormone, not naturally occurring growth hormone, from human bodies. This, I think, changes the meaning.

The only thing strange about C is the word "the" preceding "growth hormone." I suppose that if the sentence is referring to a specific growth hormone, then it's okay.

But isn't "scientists" plural in C? Maybe it was edited later. :)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 432

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2010, 14:38
you are correct , synthetic can not be used as something synthetic can not be extracted from humans

also , after reading question , i understand that E is wrong because E uses have instead of had

OA:C

Always tag your question

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 14

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 23

Schools: Yale SOM

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2010, 10:23
bmillan01 wrote:
I pick C. For D, the sentence implies that scientists extracted synthetic growth hormone, not naturally occurring growth hormone, from human bodies. This, I think, changes the meaning.

The only thing strange about C is the word "the" preceding "growth hormone." I suppose that if the sentence is referring to a specific growth hormone, then it's okay.

But isn't "scientists" plural in C? Maybe it was edited later. :)

Yep, looks like it was edited. Now C makes sense.

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 23

13 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 248 [13], given: 65

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2010, 02:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
C.

A. scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly
Sentence fragment. Referent of 'it' is synthetic growth hormone, when 'it' should be referring to growth hormone.

B. scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly
Referent of 'it' is synthetic growth hormone, when 'it' should be referring to growth hormone.

C. scientist learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed
Pronoun 'it' is sensible as it refers to the growth hormone.

D. learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly
Referent of 'it' is synthetic growth hormone, when 'it' should be referring to growth hormone.

E. Learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it have to be painstakingly removed by scientists
subject-verb agreement: it have (x)

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Kudos [?]: 248 [13], given: 65

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 33

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2010, 23:28

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 33

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [4], given: 315

WE 1: 5.0

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2010, 20:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly in small amounts from the pituitary glands of human cadavers.

A) scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly
B) scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly.
C) scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed
D) learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly
E) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed by scientists

OA will follow

This is really a typical sc which test profound meaning. C and D are both correct in grammar but have different meanings.
D is illogical jerk because it means that: before scientists learn how to synthesize a hormone, they had to remove it (hormone) from nature (which is one of a step in the hormone synthetic process) --> so if hormone is already there, scientists dont have to synthesize it.
C is rational because it means: before scientists learn to synthesize a hormone, hormone had to be removed from nature (because people have not synthesise it yet so they have to use hormone from nature resource). --> that's the meaning of C.
this idea has come up with me when i've browsed this link, found it is very useful to read Ron's explanation.
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/bef ... -t637.html

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Kudos [?]: 73 [4], given: 315

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

Schools: ISB, IIMs

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2011, 03:22
IMO :C, Earlier I picked B but after understanding the mearning of synthetic and synthesize, I picked C

Cheers!!

If you find my posts useful, Appreciate me with the kudos!! +1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2011, 08:37
IMO C

A,B,D can be ruled out because it uses the term "A synthetic growth hormone " and uses "it " later on , implying that the synthetic growth hormone had to be extracted , which makes no sense .

E - The tense is wrong .

Only C brings out the meaning clearly

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2011, 02:33
ichha148 wrote:
11. Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly in small amounts from the pituitary glands of human cadavers.

A. scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly
B. scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly
C. scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed
D. learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly
E. Learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it have to be painstakingly removed by scientists

Between C and E - which one is correct , please provide proper explanation

IMO D. Present participle modifier issue here. D correctly addresses is it by placing "scientists" at the beginning of 2nd clause.

C- no clear referent for pronoun "it"
B- learned about making is awkward.
A- no clear referent for pronoun "it"

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2011, 02:35
immaculatesahai wrote:
ichha148 wrote:
11. Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly in small amounts from the pituitary glands of human cadavers.

C. scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed

Between C and E - which one is correct , please provide proper explanation

IMO D. Present participle modifier issue here. D correctly addresses is it by placing "scientists" at the beginning of 2nd clause.

C- no clear referent for pronoun "it"
B- learned about making is awkward.
A- no clear referent for pronoun "it"

I went through the answers and realized my above post is wrong. D is obviously incorrect because of meanining issues. C wins.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2011, 22:14
PTK wrote:

C. scientist learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed

I will proide OA later after 8-10 posts.

A very nice question on pronouns. C wins. All other options have synthetic hormone as the referent for "it". Synthetic hormones cannot be removed from human cadavers.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 384 [2], given: 11

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2011, 22:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

(A) scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly
(B) scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly
(C) scientist learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed
(D) learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly
(E) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it have to be painstakingly removed by scientists

Last edited by hazelnut on 31 Aug 2017, 09:07, edited 2 times in total.
Reformatted the question.

Kudos [?]: 384 [2], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 384 [0], given: 11

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2011, 22:42
ksp wrote:
It comes under conciseness. to make a synthetic... can be expressed more stlyistically by making it synthesize

but, there is a word meaning difference betwen synthetic (which means artificial, or not natural) and synthesize (which means to form a whole). just this difference mademe choose B. else C obviously is more concise.
i dont think we can subordinate meaning to concision.

Any thoughts?

Kudos [?]: 384 [0], given: 11

Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, remo   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2011, 22:42

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 85 posts ] 

Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, remo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap